Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Default Trespassing road hunters !!

Tonight I watched from half a mile away on a hill as a truck drives down a lease road on my land. It stops and a guy gets out and shoots into the bush. Then he gets in the truck and drives back out the lease road onto the county road and out of my view because of the bush. Then 1 more shot.
When I got to my truck and drove down there he was gone. Drag marks out of our land where he collected a deer.
GRRRR it's best for all that he was gone when I got there.
The problem is these guys rarely get caught so it's not that risky for them to pull these stunts. But I have a solution. We need a major enforcement effort but there is no budget for that.
There should be a good reward like 2000 per conviction for info leading to charges.
That way I could take the time to "hunt" these lowlifes and make great money during hunting season. If you stakeout some roads around here you could catch several a afternoon.
Either that or start issuing tags for trespassers.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM

And sadly the frequincy of these situations seem to be on the increase.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Tonight I watched from half a mile away on a hill as a truck drives down a lease road on my land. It stops and a guy gets out and shoots into the bush. Then he gets in the truck and drives back out the lease road onto the county road and out of my view because of the bush. Then 1 more shot.
When I got to my truck and drove down there he was gone. Drag marks out of our land where he collected a deer.
GRRRR it's best for all that he was gone when I got there.
The problem is these guys rarely get caught so it's not that risky for them to pull these stunts. But I have a solution. We need a major enforcement effort but there is no budget for that.
There should be a good reward like 2000 per conviction for info leading to charges.
That way I could take the time to "hunt" these lowlifes and make great money during hunting season. If you stakeout some roads around here you could catch several a afternoon.
Either that or start issuing tags for trespassers.
For Sure, Have a spot over here I have been checking out, but having a heck of a time finding out who owns it, anyway today , saw a truck pulling out of the one lease road to the one well on the 2 1/4's, thought it might be the operator so I stopped to talk to them for some info, turns out they were hunting, and when I asked them if they knew who owned the land, they told me they were legal because it was a lease road, NOBODY could kick them off!!!....Very sad....
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
For Sure, Have a spot over here I have been checking out, but having a heck of a time finding out who owns it, anyway today , saw a truck pulling out of the one lease road to the one well on the 2 1/4's, thought it might be the operator so I stopped to talk to them for some info, turns out they were hunting, and when I asked them if they knew who owned the land, they told me they were legal because it was a lease road, NOBODY could kick them off!!!....Very sad....
Ya just to clarify for others, as you would know Hal, lease roads on private property are still owned by the landowner. The landowner just has a access agreement with a energy company that gives the companies employees and agents access for the purpose of exploration.
Lease roads on private land are not public access - you would still be trespassing.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM

It's sad , but most people know just how shorthanded F&W are, so the chances of them getting caught aren't very good. On the positive side, there are at least two threads going where people called F&W, and the violators have been charged. We just need everybody to help out by reporting these incidents when they see them.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Here is a thought I helped with the starting of a citzen patrol in Fsj many years ago, why don't we have a volunteer program where there is a application and thats what it is a patrol program within reasonable distance from your place of residence where you just watch for these actions and that list can be handed to the local land owners and for access to pasture or grazing land you can have more then one set of eyes instead of 1 land owner trying to keep a grip on his property, it might work then you know as a hunter if you come across a vehicle that dont match it gets called in right away, I know it would be a hard to keep track but in time it may repair the rift between farmers and hunters, a thought.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 PM

Well OP your not alone, this weekend my neighbour calls me at work says someone shot a whitetail buck from the road in front of his house on one of our quarters. So I called my brother and dad to go down and check it out, they get there ask the guy what he's doing and tell him the land is clearly posted no trespassing his response was "Oh Im new to the area and seen a hay field and a deer in it so i shot". Now the really disturbing thing is not a hundred yards away was my neighbours grand kids playing in the hay bales and the buck that the guy shot Ive seen in those same bales countless times. So we had no choice but to report him. Fish and wildlife were busy at the time but kept in contact with my brother and managed to catch up with the guy in town. He lost his deer and got himself a date in court for a couple charges.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
we just need everybody to help out by reporting these incidents when they see them.
x1000!!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herleboy View Post
Here is a thought I helped with the starting of a citzen patrol in Fsj many years ago, why don't we have a volunteer program where there is a application and thats what it is a patrol program within reasonable distance from your place of residence where you just watch for these actions and that list can be handed to the local land owners and for access to pasture or grazing land you can have more then one set of eyes instead of 1 land owner trying to keep a grip on his property, it might work then you know as a hunter if you come across a vehicle that dont match it gets called in right away, I know it would be a hard to keep track but in time it may repair the rift between farmers and hunters, a thought.
Good idea...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM

The solution is defiantly going to be hunters policing each other. A hunter who carries a camera and will make the effort to gather info and report it will have no shortage of private land to hunt once the ranchers get to trust you.
People talk about doing favors for land owners, the biggest one I can see is report and be a witness against those who trespass and shoot from the road onto land they don't have permission on.
Poachers are much more plentiful than whitetail bucks in November, one of my neighbors told me yesterday he can't wait for Dec each year.

So try to report 2 poachers for every animal you harvest this year.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

actually the reward sum can be pretty good if you have the correct info to bring charges. i have always donated what has been sent my way, but it would be enough for some cool new gear.

thing is, you need details to get charges leading to a conviction. telling F&W you saw a guy in a white truck shooting from a road does nothing. even if you witnessed him shooting out a window, it is not enough for charges. now in the op's case, had he got a plate number, he could have then made a report where an officer would have been able to collect evidence at the scene and likely laid charges leading to conviction. without any solid evidence though......it is dust in the wind.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Jmo, but if you saw a guy driving on your lease road on your land, I would be moving in for closer look. Once a shot was fired, there's not a police officer that would have got there faster.I like hunting retards as much as big game!

I don't own any land, but every year I catch at least one moron. My permission or not. I have only ever been out ran once in my life, by two young brothers, and board members on here! And only cause I didn't have a truck then. But since then, no one gets away.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Gone Hunting

It will get worse before it gets better.
I live in an area with not many people and every year there are more and more hunters in this area.

At one time the guys driving around the small patches of bush were locals. They do it because their daddy and grand dad did it. Not so much anymore. NOw 'visiting' hunters see tracks and take that as an invitation.

I try to talk to anyone i see hunting, maybe point them in the right direction or help them find a landowner etc., but i have to say the number of slobs is increasing.

When I lived on the wet coast, I watched as more and more land got posted. It wasn't so much that landowners posting and it was 'clubs'. A lot of landowners do not want the irritation of hunters asking permission, or checking vehicles who are on their land. They are busy trying to make a living.
Imagine wasting your time at work chasing guys off the property, especially when they are armed.

Back to the coast. There were groups that formed a club , charged membership fees and then approached landowners with a proposition. The club would provide and install lots of signage, saying hunting by permission only, with a club contact number. They dealt with the permission issue very simply. Join the club, get permission. Not a member , stay out. The members patrolled the areas while they were hunting. Each member had a club sticker for his vehicle, so if a truck was parked, it only took a quick look to see if he was legal. No interruption of hunting. If the vehicle had no sticker, the RCMP were called and charges laid.

It didn't take long before local non members realized there was a lot of people watching them and that there would be charges laid.

The clubs also did some stocking programs for pheasants.

A lot of areas I had permission to hunt disappeared in one or two years of vigorous work by the clubs.

Get a current county map and make contact with the owners before you try to access the land. It is important that the maps are current. i found a lot of land this year that had changed hands from last year.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Redfrog;1700486]It will get worse before it gets better.
I live in an area with not many people and every year there are more and more hunters in this area.

At one time the guys driving around the small patches of bush were locals. They do it because their daddy and grand dad did it. Not so much anymore. NOw 'visiting' hunters see tracks and take that as an invitation.

I try to talk to anyone i see hunting, maybe point them in the right direction or help them find a landowner etc., but i have to say the number of slobs is increasing.

When I lived on the wet coast, I watched as more and more land got posted. It wasn't so much that landowners posting and it was 'clubs'. A lot of landowners do not want the irritation of hunters asking permission, or checking vehicles who are on their land. They are busy trying to make a living.
Imagine wasting your time at work chasing guys off the property, especially when they are armed.

Back to the coast. There were groups that formed a club , charged membership fees and then approached landowners with a proposition. The club would provide and install lots of signage, saying hunting by permission only, with a club contact number. They dealt with the permission issue very simply. Join the club, get permission. Not a member , stay out. The members patrolled the areas while they were hunting. Each member had a club sticker for his vehicle, so if a truck was parked, it only took a quick look to see if he was legal. No interruption of hunting. If the vehicle had no sticker, the RCMP were called and charges laid.

It didn't take long before local non members realized there was a lot of people watching them and that there would be charges laid.

I have had to do something similar to this club business you describe.

I have a group of EPS chaps that sort of over look a pasture of mine. They keep fixing my gate that gets torn down and replace the signs that get shot up. Other people looking after my problems I guess. It is kind of nice.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Yes I don't have enough info to pursue this case. The reason he got away is I was 600 yards from my truck so when I got to it and drove over, he was gone. It was so quick I suspect there was a second person who remained on the county road out of my view.
It would be really nice to see some of these guys lose their trucks, rifles and hunting privileges for a year or three.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Ya just to clarify for others, as you would know Hal, lease roads on private property are still owned by the landowner. The landowner just has a access agreement with a energy company that gives the companies employees and agents access for the purpose of exploration.
Lease roads on private land are not public access - you would still be trespassing.
Ya just to clarify even further,if the lease road is built on a county right of way, it is NOT private property. Unless the adjacent owner has purchased the right of way from the county and they have "closed" it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Default I had a couple of thoughts last night...

I was reading other posts like this... and the thread that says we nee to not do posts like this cause its bad for our image....

got me thinking... signage.. proper signage is needed:

'No hunting without permission'
'I have at least two trail cam pictures of you'
'The pics are in my email inbox, with the date and time'

'Keep moving'....

Seems like a decent investment to me....

Just signage alone might cut down intrusions and poaching.

Are there such things as long distance trail cams?

Just a different 2AM thought I had.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Ya just to clarify even further,if the lease road is built on a county right of way, it is NOT private property. Unless the adjacent owner has purchased the right of way from the county and they have "closed" it.
My post specified lease roads on private property, if the county owns the land it wouldn't be private would it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM

I understand where your coming from but why do we need signs to preserve our rights ?
Do you have a sign on your truck saying "do not steal"
If your truck was stolen or vandalized would the solution be better signage ?

I expect people to respect our property rights because it's law, not because of warning signs. Admittedly it's not always working out for me so you may have a point.

QUOTE=bessiedog;1700568]I was reading other posts like this... and the thread that says we nee to not do posts like this cause its bad for our image....

'Keep moving'....

Just a different 2AM thought I had.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM

nope, would need to see the county map and the actual location of the lease road. many other question would have to answered too.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM

It is very sad out their ran in to a guy on monday on our 1/4. did not drive on but was standing on fence to shoot a doe because he had a supplement doe tags. Right beside the no trespass sign. I told him i am about to save him a bunch of money. First of all our land and second supplements have been closed in this WMU for 2 years. Looks at me does not say anything jusy goes to his truck and Leaves. Please CHECK AND READ REGULATIONS. But Have plate number and discreption, Gave info to all neighbors. To keep a look out.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Default ok

Ya... I never give my 2 AM thoughts any credit.

Rancid.. I had a problem with trespassers and such and vehicle 'help yourselfers' in the past... I got a dog. I have had to take measures to secure my land and property... I guess I have a negative view of our society and what the average person will do unobserved...

It was just a thought so I floated it out there. Naits right..you'd need more proof I guess.

Sad really.

High fences??

I knwo its illegal to plant bear traps.
Could you spike the road entrance? .... Probably illegal too.

I do feel for ya. And I guess I don;t blame you if you just dish out a solid no hunting-trespassing to anyone around your land.

again... newbies to the sport.... pay attention and show respect. Get permission. Hunting isnt an instant gratification sport.

not to derail.... but my Muledeer hunt 2 days ago turned into a nice country drive b/c Rogers 'accidentally' blacklisted my SIM card in my phone.
... I could glass and locate deer.... no phone... no daily permission.... no hunt.....

I pouted....

o well.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM

FTLOG THESE ARE NOT!!!!! HUNTERS they are poachers and trespassers!!! Hunting is collecting game leagally, this is not leagal. Please start to make this distiction people or soon hunting and poaching will be interchangable words.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
And sadly the frequincy of these situations seem to be on the increase.
Agreed.

It does seem to be getting worse.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Agreed.

It does seem to be getting worse.
Hunting, fishing, trapping, or snapping pics is a primal low tech activity in its pureist form.

Dont get me wrong my next purchase is either a set of swarorange or geovids.

And I have passed on 2 different 160 WT so far this year, but hunting has became a lot more ego driven with the "If I cant have it you cant have it" mentality more prevalent.

Me and one other local resident have permission to access a grazeing lease held by a local cattle farmer who has only been approached by us.

The leaseholder will grant access to a few people on a first come first service sort of way.

He will limit access to preserve the quality of the hunt, to ensure success, and safety reasons.

Me and the other person have not hunted the lease because it looks like the baja 400 and someone is always driveing the area one hour before sunrise when either of us get there.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
It is very sad out their ran in to a guy on monday on our 1/4. did not drive on but was standing on fence to shoot a doe because he had a supplement doe tags. Right beside the no trespass sign. I told him i am about to save him a bunch of money. First of all our land and second supplements have been closed in this WMU for 2 years. Looks at me does not say anything jusy goes to his truck and Leaves. Please CHECK AND READ REGULATIONS. But Have plate number and discreption, Gave info to all neighbors. To keep a look out.

Ummmmm, doesn't that make you an accessory to the crime? Why wouldn't you call that in?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPO View Post
Ummmmm, doesn't that make you an accessory to the crime? Why wouldn't you call that in?
what crime? intent to tresspass? intent to shoot animal in wrong wmu?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Hey bessie,

funny you say that. I got trail camera pics of truck quads and people on our land. I put up a signs sayin I have pics etc and tresspassing continues they will be sent to the RCMP and F&W. Anyways 2 days later it was full of bullet holes.

As for not posting thread in regards to trespassing and such cus it gives hunters a bad name is horse crap. There are a o pile of hunters that are nothing but scum.. Sorry that is just the way it is. No regard for animals or peoples property. There are a lot of people on here who **** and moan about not getting permission on deeded land or on GRL's. Sorry but go buy your own land. We just bought a 1/4 up in the GP area. I go to hunt and relax sitting with the kids. Not so relaxing when you sit for a couple hours in the cold and some Dip Sh@^ comes driving through the hay field. I put up signs and fence off trails. the sign are ripped down and the trees are cut down on the end of the fence and the quads drive around.

On the weekend I was hunting on our family farm east of red deer as I have my mule buck draw. We were going from one piece of land to another when we came over a hill and 2 guys bail out, standing right in the middle of the road lined up on a 140 MD. the buck took off when i pulled up. the retards then proceed to yell at us as we ruined their hunt. It just about came to fist o cuffs.

Phoned the fish cops and because they didnt shoot, nothing they can do. All weekend was spent patrolling our land and relatives land. How enjoyable is that.

So when i hear don't post because it gives hunters bad names.....give me a break. Guess what its too late.

Buy the way here is a pic of a truck south of beaverlodge on our land. Just incase the dude is on this forum, I have 3 more pics 2 with your face. I suggest you stay out. If you know the douche on the quads , tell them the same.

Its a different story when you are a landowner and like to hunt on your own land. its near impossible to enjoy a full day without interuption of seeing guys flying over a hill 2 miles away through cattle or hayland.

Signed sincerally Pi$$@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I was reading other posts like this... and the thread that says we nee to not do posts like this cause its bad for our image....

'Keep moving'....

Just a different 2AM thought I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (54.4 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by remmy300; 11-15-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Not to over simplify but, if the road is on your land and the lease that you speak of is an oil and gas lease. Put up a gate?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPO View Post
Tresspassing to start.............If he was "standing on the fence" he has already offended.

Also, sorry as well, I did mis-read that post. I read it as he had already shot the deer. My bad here. But the guy was still tresspassing. So you would not have been an accessory.