Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 06:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Haha a 06 that equals the WM.
A Volkswagen wagon beetle does not run with a Shelby.....if you attempt to push this limit too excessive even when being careful you might eventually end up in the ER...if you want a 300WM buy one and perhaps save a train wreck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
As far as QL is concerned, it will only provide a projection . Individual powder burn rates and resulting pressures have to be adjusted to an individual cartridge and rifle according to chronograph results. Without those readings we get a projection based on default values. Once a powder burn rate adjusted to chronograph results the projections from that point forward are extremely accurate for that rifle and cartridge combination.
In this case the velocity and pressure projections were by default based on the info provided by the OP resulting in estimated very high pressure. Close enough to actual pressure to warrant caution, regardless of what you might think.
Obviously, you don't use or understand QL, but you will blindly accept chronograph readings (optical I assume) at cold temperatures and a possible low battery. So give it a break Elk. You're preaching to the Choir..again. How, why and the way you do things means Dick to me. Try someone else.
Actually I understand QL just fine, but as you yourself posted, the powder burn rate must be adjusted based on chronograph results, to obtain accurate results. Some people even go as far as to measure the case capacity of their lot of cases to eliminate variations. And that still doesn't take into account variations in chamber dimensions and throat dimensions . Yes QL is a handy tool, but it is based on default values that aren't accurate for all firearms and components. Given that the only chronograph readings available do not agree with your calculated velocity, either the chronograph readings are not accurate, or the calculated velocity is not accurate due to variables in the chamber and conponents, or possibly even both are in error. The only way to find out is to do more chronograph testing, preferably with a different chronograph. Until then , we can only speculate on the actual velocity and chamber pressure, although the high chronograph readings that we do have , are reason to exercise caution.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Thanks guys for your comments!
I will consider what you've recommended here.
Should someone have any more info on this combo just throw it in in here .
I 've been using IMR4350,4451,H4350 in 30-06 , Wihtavuori 550for many years and usually it was a very clear signs of high pressure if an extra grain or two was added to the max load.
This rl17 does not show it at all.
In fact in Alliant website they list 51.5 gr as a max for 200 gr bullet, but they don't specify the pressure.
I had a very similar situation in the past with 308 win and 178 gr A MAXs , could push them around 150 f.s faster then recommended .I think it was due to their somewhat thinner jackets.
S12
I wouldn’t fire your handloads in summer. RL17 is temp sensitive. Also it probably has little to do with jacket thickness but rather the bearing surface of the bullet. It’s why Barnes put the grooves in their bullets. To reduce the bearing surface which reduces friction and pressure. I find the accubind long range to have a short bearing surface as well and you can get a little more velocity out of them compared to a bullet with a longer bearing surface. Maybe the ELD is similar.

At 67-68K or pressure I wouldn’t be too worried about a kaboom, but continued firing will cause shortened life of your rifle. If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Salavee- can you run something through quick load for me? When I was developing loads for my 6.5x55 with RL17 I found a load that was hot and accurate but ended up backing off. Would like to see what quickload says for pressure:
Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually I understand QL just fine, but as you yourself posted, the powder burn rate must be adjusted based on chronograph results, to obtain accurate results. Some people even go as far as to measure the case capacity of their lot of cases to eliminate variations. And that still doesn't take into account variations in chamber dimensions and throat dimensions . Yes QL is a handy tool, but it is based on default values that aren't accurate for all firearms and components. Given that the only chronograph readings available do not agree with your calculated velocity, either the chronograph readings are not accurate, or the calculated velocity is not accurate due to variables in the chamber and conponents, or possibly even both are in error. The only way to find out is to do more chronograph testing, preferably with a different chronograph. Until then , we can only speculate on the actual velocity and chamber pressure, although the high chronograph readings that we do have , are reason to exercise caution.
Pretty much what I said , isn't it