Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Wabamun Whites

About 20 years ago I use to catch Whites just beside the train track opposite the provincial camp ground in late Oct early November in open water. Has any one had any luck as of recent in catching whites through the ice ?
Old 12-31-2017, 06:18 PM

Default still crying

used to go out and have a blast,I love catching them but never liked eating them from lakes that I could keep from, havent eaten one from anywhere in the last 15 years, but since the warm discharge stopped, I am going on 2 years without pulling one up. I cant seem to find them and definetly not able to catch them.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:15 AM

Lake whitefish at Wabamun are near collapse. Here's a piece I wrote back in June about the lake's fishery in general:https://donmeredith.wordpress.com/20...ishery-update/
There you'll find links to the AEP update report. Although the introduced walleye are doing very well, the other species are not. A continuing problem that AEP will not address until after 2020.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Had an awesome day catching Whites at Wabamun just off of Seba beach last year, the one and only time I have caught them there.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Very good read by Don....Thank you.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Lake whitefish at Wabamun are near collapse. Here's a piece I wrote back in June about the lake's fishery in general:https://donmeredith.wordpress.com/20...ishery-update/
There you'll find links to the AEP update report. Although the introduced walleye are doing very well, the other species are not. A continuing problem that AEP will not address until after 2020.
I read a story recently where they seem to feel that skinny, deathly fish are a natural, healthy phase in a fishery's cycle after the introduction of a species (i.e. walleye in Wab). I am not smart enough to have an informed opinion, but a catch and release trophy pike fishery 45 minutes from the city sure seemed like a good idea to me.

As for the OP's question, I too used to catch whites in Wab about 20 years ago. Was lots of fun.

Last edited by sns2; 01-01-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 AM

I found Lake whitefish went through population cycles. Some year classes doing well. Others not so well. Predation levels can affect them for sure.

I am holding off agreeing walleye are to blame.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin