Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default ¤ Drones ¤

Drone use is increasing fast.

From the military to civilian applications....

Is this escalating into a big problem ?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Based on this... yes they do cause a lot of grief.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29670583/u...ws-flight-path

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The father who shot down a drone over his home has his case to national television -- and there's a new twist in the story today.

The drone owner has come forward with video and his own version of what happened.

WDRB News has obtained video of William Merideth's arrest. Merideth was charged with wanton endangerment and criminal mischief for shooting down a drone over his Hillview home.

"No, I'm not going to relax!" Merideth says in the video. "I don't give a [EXPLETIVE] about him. And I don't give a [EXPLETIVE] about your [EXPLETIVE] drone and you keep video taping. I know exactly what I did."

The story we broke has gone worldwide, appearing on The Drudge Report on People magazine's website and dozens of other online publications.

This morning, William Merideth appeared on Fox and Friends.

RAW VIDEO: Arrest of man who shot down drone

It's four days after he was jailed and charged with wanton endangerment and criminal mischief for shooting down the drone.

"You've got two children in the backyard, this drone is flying overhead, and how did they react that caused you to go get your gun and shoot it out of the sky?" asked Fox and Friends anchor Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

"Well they come in and said, 'There's a drone flying out here and this is not the first time it happened,'" Merideth said. "And I went out and looked, and the neighbors were in their backyard, and said are you going to do anything about it and I said, 'Not unless it comes over my property.'"

"This is kind of terrible trying to protect your own children in your backyard," said Hasselbeck. "We will certainly follow this and want to thank you for your time today."

But another side of this story is emerging.

The owner of the drone, David Boggs, just released the flight data recorder from his iPad, saying it tracks the drone's path. In a video Boggs sent WDRB, he comments on drone's path 40 seconds before, during and after the incident.

"We are now one minute and 18 seconds into the flight," he says on the video. "We are now 193 feet above the ground. This area here is the world-famous drone slayer home, and this is a neighbor's home, and our friends live over here, and over here, and over here. You will see now that we did not go below this altitude -- we even went higher -- nor did we hover over their house to look in. And for sure didn't descend down to no 10 feet, or look under someone's canopy, or at somebody's daughter."

"We are right now one minute, 56 seconds over the drone slayer's house. We're still not on his property line -- we're just now getting ready to cross it....In less than two seconds...we are outside of his property, still at 272 feet. He shot the drone here, and you'll see it rapidly lose altitude, and the drone crash. Boom -- there it goes. Crazy, in the words of the great Paul Harvey, now you know the rest of the story."

The story has started a nationwide public conversation because the regulations about privacy when it comes to drones are not very clear. Experts tell us that while there are video, voyeurism and trespassing laws, there do not appear to be any Kentucky or federal statues related to privacy involving drones.

This story caused the FAA to go back and look at its own rules. The best the agency can tell us is if a drone is hovering under 10 feet on your property, it might be considered trespassing.

Some say the outcome of this case may be precedent-setting or at least the backdrop for new laws in Kentucky. William Merideth is due back in court in September.

Copyright 2015 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Gone Hunting

I am dam good with a slingshot, so needless to say the drone would find the ground in a hurry if it was hovering over my place!!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Hmm, #8 birdshot at 272 feet? 90 yards? Why have I been using heavier shot for geese? Guess #8 is all I need.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
I am dam good with a slingshot, so needless to say the drone would find the ground in a hurry if it was hovering over my place!!!!
Thats nice
Maybe the government has a job for you.
I figured the kids would chime in here.

But what if said drone was equipped with a gun or bomb?

Looks like the recent drone accurrance flying 100ft from jetliners at JFK airport has raised a few eyebrows.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM

On the other hand, shooting model airplanes looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLAKnVej9o

CSSA
Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Angry *&^%$#@ Balloons!!!

So you think those drones are bad, eh . . .

We had a hot-air balloon with three people in the basket, go 'very' low over our house three years ago. They were so low, we were able to have a short conversation with them as they passed.

In hindsight ... I shoulda shot the buggers!

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 08-01-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
So you think those drones are bad, eh . . .

We had a hot-air balloon with three people in the basket, go 'very' low over our house three years ago. They were so low, we were able to have a short conversation with them as they passed.

In hindsight ... I should have shot the buggers!

Mac
Im not saying their bad.
Im saying they can be used for bad or criminal applications.
And it seems its an issue that is gaining momentum.
Especially since they are easy to buy and customize.
And also hard to track the operators position

Lots of sick minds out there Mac

I remember way back when......when a drone was used to fly amongst a bird flock with a camera.
This would be a good application.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post

Laws may change a bit but drones are here to stay. As far as hovering or looking in someones yard. That happens almost everywhere, high rises, high decks in back yards, a lot of farms/acreages have no fence. Lots of guys sit on hills in hunting season with binoculars, spotting scopes, looking at the countryside, including yards sometime, are you going to shoot them all?

Will there be abuse........yes like there is with almost every kind of technology out there, hacking computers, texting while driving, and lots of others. Doesn't make it okay, but it is going to happen, it always does.

If you outlawed every kind of technology, tool, vehicle, or weapon that has been used illegally or unsafely........and still are despite all kinds of rules and regulations, you wouldn't have much left.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Laws may change a bit but drones are here to stay. As far as hovering or looking in someones yard. That happens almost everywhere, high rises, high decks in back yards, a lot of farms/acreages have no fence. Lots of guys sit on hills in hunting season with binoculars, spotting scopes, looking at the countryside, including yards sometime, are you going to shoot them all?

Will there be abuse........yes like there is with almost every kind of technology out there, hacking computers, texting while driving, and lots of others. Doesn't make it okay, but it is going to happen, it always does.

If you outlawed every kind of technology, tool, vehicle, or weapon that has been used illegally or unsafely........and still are despite all kinds of rules and regulations, you wouldn't have much left.
Woah woah woah bobbly

I never said outlaw them or shoot them all !!!!!
You've gone right haywire with your take on this.

I said there are problem applications to be concerned about !!!

Man....talk about a blowout
Old 08-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Im not saying their bad.
Im saying they can be used for bad or criminal applications.
And it seems its an issue that is gaining momentum.
Especially since they are easy to buy and customize.
And also hard to track the operators position

Lots of sick minds out there Mac

I remember way back when......when a drone was used to fly amongst a bird flock with a camera.
This would be a good application.
Can't argue with any of that ^, Luxor. There's lots of serious concerns about drones and their use/misuse! Given time, I'm sure they'll bring more laws into place. But those laws will be hard to enforce, and I'm sure some people will just simply choose to ignore them.

Drones are here, and they're here to stay.

Be ready!

Mac
Old 08-01-2015, 01:21 PM

Poachers will love these things.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post

Poachers will love these things.

Exactly ^

I'd guess, they're already using them!

Mac
Old 08-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Drones are bad because there is a potential to use them in a negative way? Really people?
Good thing there is no potential to use firearms in a negative way....could you imagine if guns could be used in a negative way?
Ban drones!.....
Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Damn... a wise moose!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Drones are bad because there is a potential to use them in a negative way? Really people?
Good thing there is no potential to use firearms in a negative way....could you imagine if guns could be used in a negative way?
Ban drones!.....
No no
Bad people doing bad things with drones = bad drones.

I get your nice and simple explanation but the reality is that its just another issue of rising concern.

Be silly or be serious.....its an open forum....so have at er buds.

Last edited by Luxor; 08-01-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Arrow The solution! . . .

Mac
Old 08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

Where do you find this stuff Mac ???

Hahaha
Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Where do you find this stuff Mac ???

Hahaha

Seek, and ye shall find!

Mac
Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Just on the news, drone spotted of a commercial aircraft wing at 1700 feet, in the Calgary area. Also last week, two kept water bombers from attacking a California Wildfire. Only a matter time before they are severely restricted.

Grizz
Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Just on the news, drone spotted of a commercial aircraft wing at 1700 feet, in the Calgary area. Also last week, two kept water bombers from attacking a California Wildfire. Only a matter time before they are severely restricted.

Grizz
Now this is more to the point of this thread Grizz.

Its going to become a bigger problem as time goes on.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Woah woah woah bobbly

I never said outlaw them or shoot them all !!!!!
You've gone right haywire with your take on this.

I said there are problem applications to be concerned about !!!

Man....talk about a blowout
Let me make in simple for you, a new technology that has some great applications, but is going to be used unsafely and illegal sometime, like hundreds of other things.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Let me make in simple for you, a new technology that has some great applications, but is going to be used unsafely and illegal sometime, like hundreds of other things.
Making a general statement about technology doesnt really pertain to this thread no matter how simple you try to explain your position.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 08-01-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 PM

Their use is already restricted. They are interfering with wildfire operations in Kelowna, as stated in the attached headlines from CTVNews.ca:

Multiple drones force wildfire crews to halt air operations near Kelowna

WEST KELOWNA, B.C. - Crews have been forced to halt air operations on a wildfire burning near West Kelowna, B.C., due to multiple drones flying overhead.

The B.C. Wildfire Service says a helicopter supporting ground crews and involved in water delivery in the Westside Road fire has now been grounded.

The service says all wildfires are flight-restricted under the Canadian Air Regulations and the operation of any aircraft not related to fire suppression efforts is illegal.

It says drones, also known as unmanned aerial vehicles, pose a significant safety risk to crews, especially when low-flying firefighting aircraft are present.

The RCMP is working with the service in relation to the incident.

The fire danger rating throughout the Kamloops Fire Centre is high to extreme and officials are urging everyone to use caution in the backcountry.

Mr Conservation
Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM

I blame YouTube and Facebook.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 PM

Default ¤ Drones ¤

Hi Luxor. I'm going to try and share what I've learned in regards to this topic over the past two years. Take it as you will.

Full disclosure first. I do not currently own an RC helicopter, but have put quite some time into researching a potential purchase. Also, I have flow ( briefly) a DHI Phantom 3 as well as logging about 20 hours on a Blade 350 QX.

First off, I take issue with the word 'drones'. In reality, drones are military aircraft with a very specific purpose, who's technology was largely hijacked from a decades old hobby RC industry. To call them drones IMHO is simply falling into the ignorant and overly dramatic hyperbole spewed from a for-profit MSM.

These aircraft in question, in the VAST majority of cases are small quadcopters. Generally speaking, they measure 16-18" squared, weigh less than a pound, have 20 minutes or less of flight time with highly limited payload capacity. I seriously call into question commercial pilot's reports of sightings while travelling at hundreds of miles an hour. Also, I question the amount of damage a pound of plastic can possibly administer to a large civilian aircraft.

Now there is certainly no disputing that these hobby crafts have been used for less than honourable purposes. Unfortunately, like a certain lion, a hysterical media, a dumb as stump populace and bottom feeding politicians have conspired in a maelstrom of self-serving misinformation to portray these TOYS as being capable of unspeakable horrors.

Simply untrue.

There's some quality RC clubs locally, Luxor. May I suggest you take a couple of hours to visit one and perhaps gain a better understanding of what RC stuff is all about. I can guarantee you'll meet some good folks and likely have a blast. Gets spendy pretty quick though, so don't say you weren't warned. Lol. I hope this post helps.

Last edited by TreeGuy; 08-01-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Banned

I see your point tree
And I have actually looked into buying an RC helicopter.
I just have no real use for one.
Some of those drones can carry payloads.
Im sure you have seen that.
And if they get sucked into a planes engine.....well you know.
These things could be the new techno problem.
Some people have posted legitimate activities of their abusive uses.

Im just saying it exists.

Certain people who posted here (now deleted) just ignore facts unless its a blatant problem and or it affects them.

Im not going to get into the semantics of these flying machines.
Drones for argument sake is what we'll continue to call them.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Transport Canada has a Do and Don't list here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...d=hruzf#safety

As well as a flow chart for pilots here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...nt_English.pdf

Interestingly, TC is already proposing stricter regs of drones. PDF document is big:
(Notice of Proposed Amendment - PDF)
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...ype=1&lang=eng
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Taco, it's not the quads that are the issue with aircraft, it's the RC planes that can get over 2000' and have ranges measured in km.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjXBoCVm8A

The plane that made this is around $120 but needs the motor, receiver, camera, prop transmitter and such. Flight time of 30+ minutes.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Not looking to argue but I think airline pilots could see one, we see sparrows on a powerline couple hundred yards ahead of us when we're doing buck/20. Apparently the higher-end models are larger & heavier with more altitude & range.

Having said that, one would really have to be in hover mode around my place for a long exasperating time before I would shoot it down. Pretty low upside, pretty high downside.