Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:25 PM

Lightbulb I’m Erin O’Toole, candidate for CPC leader. I stand with law abiding firearm owners

Hello Alberta Outsdoorsmen (Go Stampeders!)

My name is Erin O'Toole and, as you may know, I am running to lead the Conservative Party of Canada.

I am the only candidate with a detailed firearms policy, and when I say I will overhaul the existing system, I mean it. So in that spirit, I am inviting you to read about how I plan to stand up for hunters and sport shooters at www.erinotoole.ca/firearms. I welcome your questions and feedback on my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/erinotoolecpc

A bit about me: I was born in Montreal, raised in small-town Ontario and served and studied across the country. After high school, I enrolled in the Royal Military College and served in the Royal Canadian Air Force, where I was a navigator on a Sea King helicopter. In 2012, I ran for Parliament in the riding of Durham and was later appointed Minister of Veteran Affairs. This short video goes into a bit more depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05jwFG_duVk

The grassroots members have a big role to play in setting party policy. I want you to know I am on your side. If you have been waiting for a candidate who will call out the Liberals for trying to claim that more regulations on you will reduce crime, I am your candidate. To win this leadership race, I will need your support. If you support my policy and want an ally as leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, take out a membership and donate $22 or whatever you can spare on my website today at www.erinotoole.ca

Erin

P.S. I will be back in a few days to try and answer some questions in this thread.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

Thanks for stopping by.

If you are elected:

1) Will you get rid of the restricted classification? If not, what is the difference between an AR-15 and a Remington 7400? and...what do you see as the benefit of having a restricted classification of guns?

2) Will you get rid of magazine limits?

3) Will I be able to hunt with a handgun?

4) If the government determines a person safe to own a 30/06 hunting rifle and take that rifle out hunting or shooting on private or crown land, why is that person not safe to do the same with a handgun or ar-15 etc (restricted guns).

Thanks, and good luck.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Thanks for stopping by.

If you are elected:

1) Will you get rid of the restricted classification? If not, what is the difference between an AR-15 and a Remington 7400? and...what do you see as the benefit of having a restricted classification of guns?

2) Will you get rid of magazine limits?

3) Will I be able to hunt with a handgun?

4) If the government determines a person safe to own a 30/06 hunting rifle and take that rifle out hunting or shooting on private or crown land, why is that person not safe to do the same with a handgun or ar-15 etc (restricted guns).

Thanks, and good luck.
As well will you take classification out of the hands of the RCMP?

Who will determine what classification a firearm fits into?

Who determines what is prohibited and what is not?

Are you willing to enshrine property rights in the constitution?
Old 11-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Will you endeavor to have one set of firearms laws for all Canadians. Will Quebec be exempt from laws they do not like?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Will you endeavor to have one set of firearms laws for all Canadians. Will Quebec be exempt from laws they do not like?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Thanks for stopping in Erin, you've taken on a big job if you want to make law abiding gun owners happy again in this country. The RCMP recently made a tremendous number of us into criminals overnight with their decision on magazines with a capacity greater than 10, for the Ruger 10/22. This and many other egregious moves by the RCMP (a non elected body tasked with enforcing the laws and not unilaterally making decisions that make criminals out of law abiding citizens) make this the most important subject when discussing firearms and the laws surrounding them. Are you prepared to overhaul the entire body of law surrounding firearms and their ownership, and bring clarity to a very muddy, arbitrary, and confusing bit of legalese? And are you prepared to clip the wings of the RCMP, which has a proven anti gun agenda (Think High River gun grab, Swiss rifles that were reclassified, Ruger 10/22 mags, Beowulf 50 mags....its a long list)?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-26-2016, 04:52 PM

And again I notice and question that you are only standing up for hunters and sport shooters. Are you also planning on standing up for gun collectors, people who want guns for self-defence and/or defence of family and loved ones or hand guns for dangerous bears etc. in the bush or people who just like to own guns ?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

Go easy guys

Erin is only seeking leadership at this time

Let's be respectful to him now and perhaps he'll remember to come back before the next election.

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 11-26-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Go easy guys

Let's be respectful to her now and perhaps she'll remember to come back before the next election.
Erin is a male.

Erin, if elected to PM, what steps would you first take for firearms owners? Will you cut back on the paperwork we have to carry (RPAL conditions, firearm registration, and any ATT's)?

Will you slap the RCMP down when they decide to take the law into their own hands and enforce legislation the way they see it, regardless of what the law actually states? (Ruger 10/22 mags and .50 Beowulf mags)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Go easy guys

Let's be respectful to her now and perhaps she'll remember to come back before the next election.

Haha you obviously didnt check out his webpage or video.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Banned

If you win the leadership bid will your party’s policies be able to gain a solid majority?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Haha you obviously didnt check out his webpage or video.
No I spell female Erin
Male Aaron

Can't get excited about a leadership candidate in a race I can't vote in.

But would want them to be comfortable enough with members here to return and have discussions at a time when it would really matter

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 11-26-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Well these are very important issues for me. If we had a CPC leader who won't force people back to work after a 36 hour strike over the weekend like Harper and Kellie Leitch did then thats someone I can vote for. Give it a week or two when there is actually a threat to the Canadian economy and its understandable.

Also if theres ever a PM willing to stop 3rd trimester abortion in this country, they'd get my vote no matter where they stand on any other issue. Trying to cut 3rd trimester abortion is not the right thing to push politically, because most people either are pro life completely or pro abortion completely. But in saying that as a country that tries to call itself humane, theres no way a fully grown fetus should be allowed to be legally aborted. People should be able to make the choice long before 26 weeks.
No sense putting your cart before the horse
You don't get to vote in his run up to leadership

Hopefully he returns in 2019
This forum is good at running the best of us out
Let alone someone who could one day make a difference
Old 11-26-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Except I can vote for him for leadership of the CPC.... and if he is going to do those things I would vote for him as leader and in a general election. If he feels better not making a public statement right now on the issue he can PM me.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Except I can vote for him for leadership of the CPC.... and if he is going to do those things I would vote for him as leader and in a general election. If he feels better not making a public statement right now on the issue he can PM me.
I am merely cautiously suggesting to our membership that we exercise some restraint
One merely had to of read or been part of any number of threads lately of political themes to realize that it's a topic not well handled amongst many people here.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I am merely cautiously suggesting to our membership that we exercise some restraint
One merely had to of read or been part of any number of threads lately of political themes to realize that it's a topic not well handled amongst many people here.
Fair enough, there are a few posters who could take the thread sideways. For me I'd like to see a Conservative candidate I can support.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Great, running for the leadership of the CPC. First move for you, tout your position on firearms on an outdoor forum. Great, got attention. I like it so far.

What else do you stand for? Has to be more than firearms?

How are you going to deal with Quebec? Pipelines? Canada and foreign trade? Housing market? Employment? The list goes on and on...
Old 11-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
As well will you take classification out of the hands of the RCMP?

Who will determine what classification a firearm fits into?

Who determines what is prohibited and what is not?

Are you willing to enshrine property rights in the constitution?
How about turf the entire classification system as was mentioned? Including the prohibited class.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Join CPC and you do vote for who becomes leader.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
and again i notice and question that you are only standing up for hunters and sport shooters. Are you also planning on standing up for gun collectors, people who want guns for self-defence and/or defence of family and loved ones or hand guns for dangerous bears etc. In the bush or people who just like to own guns ?
here here
Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Oh good
How long will it be until I can carry my .22 pistol for grouse while moose hunting?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
He came to us, not the other way around. Tell us what you will or wont do for us and we can tell you whether we will or wont support you. For too long we have let politicians off the hook with softball questions and doubletalk. Current and past govs have not exerised restraint in what they have done to us.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:

If you buy a $10 membership to the party you DO get to vote on who will be the next leader. This is true for all Parties. This membership also allows you to vote for who will be the candidate in the next election for your riding. This is true Federally and Provincially though it requires two separate memberships.

Amazes me how many people don't know how our political system works.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 AM

I guess Erin doesn't have time to check back in and boost his post count to 2.....about what I would expect. Shill the outdoorsmen for donations based on a 'policy' that you know will appeal, and whoosh......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I guess Erin doesn't have time to check back in and boost his post count to 2.....about what I would expect. Shill the outdoorsmen for donations based on a 'policy' that you know will appeal, and whoosh......
He did say he would check back in a couple of days, I would suspect we see him back online Monday or Tuesday.
Cat
Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
He came to us, not the other way around. Tell us what you will or wont do for us and we can tell you whether we will or wont support you. For too long we have let politicians off the hook with softball questions and doubletalk. Current and past govs have not exerised restraint in what they have done to us.

Yes he did come to us.

So we should act like Alberta Outdoorsmen
And not Alberta Outdoorsmen forum members.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you buy a $10 membership to the party you DO get to vote on who will be the next leader. This is true for all Parties. This membership also allows you to vote for who will be the candidate in the next election for your riding. This is true Federally and Provincially though it requires two separate memberships.

Amazes me how many people don't know how our political system works.
And no, I did not know that.
I had the chance in the previous provincial election to actually learn a bit more but squandered the opportunity.

But i appreciate the learning moment.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Default Keep on topic

Why not keep on topic and talk about firearms policy?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

There's a CPC leadership debate coming up in Moncton where some of the questions being asked on this thread may be addressed. I watched the last one and many of the main issues were discussed. Worth tuning in if you are genuinely interested in knowing what the main issues are.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Why not keep on topic and talk about firearms policy?
True, the topic of the thread is firearms policy. Unfortunately one cannot get elected on a solid firearms platform alone.
Closed Thread