Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Could care less what it scored and I didn’t score it..an official scorer did...just like the deer I shot the year before which has 3 droptines each over 10” long....

Ok..... I’m just saying from the pics you posted it looks an awful lot like those points share the same base.

I’m of the opinion that if the deer grew it, it should score and I believe the only true way to score antlers is water displacement. No questions, it doesn’t take a panel to determine what counts and what doesn't, if it grew it, it’ll show up.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ok..... I’m just saying from the pics you posted it looks an awful lot like those points share the same base.

I’m of the opinion that if the deer grew it, it should score and I believe the only true way to score antlers is water displacement. No questions, it doesn’t take a panel to determine what counts and what doesn't, if it grew it, it’ll show up.
Your right...deer probably would have scored a lot higher than...all I know is @ it’s thickest point on each side it’s over 10”.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Your right...deer probably would have scored a lot higher than...all I know is @ it’s thickest point on each side it’s over 10”.
It would be nice if you could count the mass on points too, but southern deer would have a hard time making the books. If they were subjected to a displacement scoring system.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;4068212]I think Wayne Zaft would beg to differ. His buck went from 206 to 172 once it was determined that it was one point splitting off into two.

I think Zaft got shafted the way his buck got scored.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=cowmanbob;4068265]
Quote:
I think Wayne Zaft would beg to differ. His buck went from 206 to 172 once it was determined that it was one point splitting off into two.

The Zaft buck is one of the nicest looking bucks I’ve seen. The score doesn’t matter to me because even if I shoot a world record I would never pay to put my name in a book. I’m just interested on how close I am at scoring compared to the official scorers. If my buck is big enough to win any prizes it’ll help offset the cost of my taxidermy bill😁
Old 12-04-2019, 05:17 PM

Yours is a heck of a deer. It’s funny how some won’t pay the 25 bucks to enter a book animal, but spend thousands on firearms. Myself included.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I think Wayne Zaft would beg to differ. His buck went from 206 to 172 once it was determined that it was one point splitting off into two.

Lefty,

I said scored by an official scorer and I would post a picture of the official score sheet. It doesn’t say anything about an official score

I went and scored it myself today and I used a very tight tape. If anything the score will go up, and it could be as much as 6-8”

Worst case scenario it’ll gross 192 and net 183-4/8, but I believe it’ll score higher than that. I stopped by Jimbows on my way through Edmonton the day after I shot it and showed Dave, I think he liked it 😁
I was just giving you a hard time because you know someone has too.

LC
Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Yours is a heck of a deer. It’s funny how some won’t pay the 25 bucks to enter a book animal, but spend thousands on firearms. Myself included.
It’s the principal of it.

I knew you just Razzin me Kris.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Front WT leg happened to be one of my favorite meals when properly seasoned, marinated, and roasted.
17 years so far and all tags are filled.
My freezer is usually filled with elk and moose meat ,but young tasty whitetail is my weakness ...

S12
Old 12-07-2019, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Worst case scenario it’ll gross 192 and net 183-4/8, but I believe it’ll score higher than that.

Net score 185 even
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

Zaft buck is illegitimate.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
Tremendous deer Kurt but it doesn’t seem to have the inches to make 200. Pictures are deceiving though so please don’t interpret my opinion as ignorance. What would you think this deer scored if you don’t mind me asking your opinion?
Yessshhh how old is that mount?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=cowmanbob;4068265]
Quote:

I think he got shafted too
Beautiful deer
I think they just wanted to keep the record in the USA
Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=marky_mark;4069671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post

I think he got shafted too
Beautiful deer
I think they just wanted to keep the record in the USA
That’s exactly it. The Boone and Crockett system is set up so the southern deer can compete where symmetry is a big part of the score, otherwise the record book would be pretty one sided.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Net score 185 even
Score isn’t important. That deer is a MONSTER and anyone busting your balls is just a jealous azzhat Congrats on a deer of many lifetimes!

For me it’s been 6-7 years. I’m pretty selective, passed on over 100 bucks this year but didn’t see the brute I was hoping for. My kids both got their bucks, my daughter her biggest WT and my son his first so that was great.

Might never shoot another unless I see a good one or my goals change. As it is I’m happy the kids are hunting and I’ll just keep waiting for Mr Big.

Don
Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM

I’ve only been hunting for 4 years. For the last 3 I took up bow hunting and was fortunate to harvest a deer or 2 every year.

I totally and fully understand the desire to only shoot big deer, and passing on smaller deer. It helps extend your season and gives you a goal each year. I did it several times this year. At times I definitely had regrets. Other times I didn’t.

With that said there are 9 months between hunting seasons and eating the deer I shoot each year brings me as much enjoyment as the hunt. Each meal allows me to fondly remember the last season and the meat is always superb. It’s also really enjoyable to share it with friends and family. Each year everyone looks forward to my smoked deer sausage at family gatherings or holidays. This is also a big part of why I hunt. Missing out on 9 months of this because the antlers weren’t “big enough” doesn’t work for me.

That’s probably why I enjoy the meat eater show so much, the entire series isn’t based on antler size, it’s based on hunting and eating what you harvest. At the end of the day, isn’t that why most people really hunt? For the whole experience.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Kurt505;4069674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

That’s exactly it. The Boone and Crockett system is set up so the southern deer can compete where symmetry is a big part of the score, otherwise the record book would be pretty one sided.
The scoring system has been around for a very long time
I think it’s bang on
Where the score is set for an all time record means it’s an exceptional animals
No question about it
For any species
It’s doesn’t give enough credit though for abnormals
Your buck doesn’t score well buddy but it is still a monster
I’d take your 185” whitetail over that claim to be 179 or the claimed 10” mass deer anyday
Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Score isn’t important. That deer is a MONSTER and anyone busting your balls is just a jealous azzhat Congrats on a deer of many lifetimes!

For me it’s been 6-7 years. I’m pretty selective, passed on over 100 bucks this year but didn’t see the brute I was hoping for. My kids both got their bucks, my daughter her biggest WT and my son his first so that was great.

Might never shoot another unless I see a good one or my goals change. As it is I’m happy the kids are hunting and I’ll just keep waiting for Mr Big.

Don

Ya, I knew it wasn’t going to score very high in comparison to its size, but it clearly won the “Best in Show” category I’d say. IR Mike was there last night, it was good to see him.

It sounds like we have similar situations, with the kids doing most of the shooting, that’s what it’s all about. I never have taken more than we can eat so one moose is “good enough” anything else is a bonus to a point. I kept 2 deer and 5 quarters of moose for us this year, I chose to retire my elk tag because it would have just been too much.

I got my 200” swamp monster, it don’t matter if I go another 7 years without shooting another one.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=marky_mark;4069699]
Quote:

The scoring system has been around for a very long time
I think it’s bang on
Where the score is set for an all time record means it’s an exceptional animals
No question about it
For any species
It’s doesn’t give enough credit though for abnormals
Your buck doesn’t score well buddy but it is still a monster
I’d take your 185” whitetail over that claim to be 179 or the claimed 10” mass deer anyday
It was scored as a 5x5 and netted 185, had it been scored as a 4X5, or 4x4 it would have grossed higher because of both mass measurements and time length, that’s where the extra 6” would have come in, and the measurer said it could have easily been scored that way as well. It grossed 192 and netted 185 as a 5x5 but would have grossed 198 and netted 183-4/8 as a 4x4. In any case, it’s literally one of the most awesome looking bucks I’ve laid hands on, and a lot of guys at the show said the same thing. It’s colossal.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Its been at least three years for me now. Not for lack of trying but the area I hunt has been hit very hard by winters, predators and supplemental tags. The only bonus if you can call it that is with deer numbers so low the hunters have left too.

I could find another area to hunt but I enjoy visiting and staying with my Mom who lives in the area and there's more to hunting to me than just shooting an animal. I also get to spend time with my hunting partner and mentor who isn't really interested in hunting other zones.

I have passed on many smaller bucks and every doe in the hope that population will rebound. Most of the wolves are now gone as they ate & killed most everything they could and numbers are slowly returning.

I would shoot in a heartbeat any of the bucks that have been posted on here. Each one is a great buck compared to what I see where I hunt. I don't hunt for horns or the meat but I love getting out hunting. I could easily fill the freezer at Costco for much less but I enjoy sitting in a blind or stand hoping to catch a glimpse of wildlife, stalking sneakily hoping to surprise my prey, trying to fool an animal with a call or rattle and even driving around in a truck cruising the lease roads and glassing cut blocks.

I once again didn't fold a tag on a WT or even see a nice one but I got a really good look at a bobcat, a grizzly, some nice moose and shot a few "chickens". My hunting partner and I even folded a tag on a moose, which was a first for me.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Yessshhh how old is that mount?
its 15 years old. Needs a good cleaning for sure! Lol
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 PM

Kurt, your buck is a good one no matter the score! The history alone is something most of dream of. The Zaft buck was scored as it should regardless of the questionable...... well you know.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:44 PM

4 years now, seen lots of deer again this year and a few nice bucks but none that top my best so I just watched..
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 PM

17 years. Think I win.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
17 years. Think I win.
You just suck at doing that man

S12
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Been a good six years of unfilled tags for me.

Hunting with the kids has made it more challenging, but more fulfilling. This year was the best in a long time; I had more time for hunting, and the kids are showing great skills now as they get older. I had some great encounters this year, but no good shot opportunities.

Looking forward to next year!
Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Haven’t filled my Manitoba whitetail tag since 2013. Finally got a decent one this year. Gross scored him at 174 and nets 158. Had trail camera pictures of him the last two years. Wish I new how to post pictures.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:42 PM

I was a couple years. Shot one this year we had seen some bad winters and I hadn't connected on something I was looking for. Population seems to on the come back.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:19 AM

I went 8 years without shooting a whitetail, 2010-2018. Only shot the buck last year cause we needed meat. Didn't necessarily want to, but it was the only option presented on the last day of the season. Have had other options at filling tags with elk and mule deer, as well as doe tags.

Have had the outlook of "let them grow" since 2010, with countless opportunities being passed up. But that's just part of the game.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Default How Many Years Without Filling Your Genral Whitetail Tag.

It has been 4 years. As I did not by a tag as I concentrated my efforts on Mule deer, Elk and Moose.