Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Default Homemade "kifaru" stove

Well I thought I'd give Chimpac some competition in the homemade tent stove arena. I decided to build my own take down Kifaru stove. I used .010 stainless rolled jacketing used for oilfield insulation for the stove. The roll up stove pipe is the key to the Kifaur stove. It's made from .004" rolled stainless. I ordered a 1' X 30' roll from the states. It's enough to make 4 or 5 tent/tarp chimney's and a couple of tipi's. I may buy a Kifaru Tipi this summer, and if I do I'll build the large size stove. I have enough metal for 3 more stoves. This stove will be used in my Kelty backpack tent. I am sewing a stove jack of "spark" cloth in the vestibule. This is where the stove will go. Total wt of the stove is 2 1\2 pounds. The pick on the scale is less the chimney.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Looks pretty good and I bet you saved a lot over the purchase of the kifaru stove. Make sure you post pics when you get the tent outfitted with the stove. I would be interested to see how you get it done.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Will do. Have to do a little sewing here next week and it should be good. I'm also sewing in an extra tie out spot near the chimney jack so I can keep the fly tight away from the pipe.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Looks pretty good, what size is that one equivalent to?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Same size as the small.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Default stove

I don't miss a stove thread, for sure not a homemade one.
You are using a shade thinner metal I think mine is .011 thats for the stove pipe and all other parts. The metal in the coffee cans is about the same. That is kind of thin for a stove but I have found it takes takes a lot of camping to burn one out.
Great looking tin work. I do not prefer horizontal stoves and tipis but a lot of people do.
3 ways to tent it are cold tent, hot tent, almost warm tent. You will have a hot tent. Mine I class as almost warm with top piority cooking and burning only 1 lb. wood an hour.
Have you seen all the homemade rocket stoves on utube? I studied up on them and then built what I thought would be better than anything I had done before. I was disapointed, the thing smoked more than my old ones and was not as hot.

Last edited by chimpac; 03-23-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 AM

Chimpac, I saw a few on rocket stoves but they had sand in them and It seemed a pain to get set up. I also started one like this but made it from 6 rectangular cake pans from the dollar store that were $2.00 each. It would work but since the bottom bends weren't 90 degrees it didn't look as nice, or be as air tight. I like the .004 stainless as you can roll up the chimney pipe into a 12" long roll about the size of a cardboard paper towel roll. Total wt. including the carry bag is 2 lbs 9 oz.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM

It's actually .004"! That's thin! Love the look of your stove, how long/hard was it to make? Did u put heat exchange or baffles in it? What was your total cost for 1 stove? It's impressive! Well done!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I don't miss a stove thread, for sure not a homemade one.
You are using a shade thinner metal I think mine is .011 thats for the stove pipe and all other parts. The metal in the coffee cans is about the same. That is kind of thin for a stove but I have found it takes takes a lot of camping to burn one out.
Great looking tin work. I do not prefer horizontal stoves and tipis but a lot of people do.
3 ways to tent it are cold tent, hot tent, almost warm tent. You will have a hot tent. Mine I class as almost warm with top piority cooking and burning only 1 lb. wood an hour.
Have you seen all the homemade rocket stoves on utube? I studied up on them and then built what I thought would be better than anything I had done before. I was disapointed, the thing smoked more than my old ones and was not as hot.
http://www.autonopedia.org.uk/approp...Part2.html#c14
Here is a good article on stove making! Have you read this one?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
http://www.autonopedia.org.uk/approp...Part2.html#c14
Here is a good article on stove making! Have you read this one?
I checked it all over did not discover anything new to me. Some where in there it was stated that a stove has to be able to hold a fire all night. That is not necessary anymore for a cabin stove with the new rocket type stoves and a mass of rock or clay. They only light a hot fire in them once a day and only burn an armfull of wood.
My attempt to use the rocket idea failed because my fire chamber was to short and not insulated. The baffle design and lower door and feed shelf I use lately works without insulation and super hot fire box of the rocket stove. I have an upper hot baffle and a bottom grate. I get a complete burn immediatly. Like the small hot fire of a pellet stove.

Last edited by chimpac; 03-24-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I checked it all over did not discover anything new to me. Some where in there it was stated that a stove has to be able to hold a fire all night. That is not necessary anymore for a cabin stove with the new rocket type stoves and a mass of rock or clay. They only light a hot fire in them once a day and only burn an armfull of wood.
My attempt to use the rocket idea failed because my fire chamber was to short and not insulated. The baffle design and lower door and feed shelf I use lately works without insulation and super hot fire box of the rocket stove. I have an upper hot baffle and a bottom grate. I get a complete burn immediatly. Like the small hot fire of a pellet stove.
http://www.canadianoutdoorequipment....it-stoves.html
Is the you mean by a rocket stove? Would that heat a tent (3-4 man)?
Are your stove designs portable/pack able?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM

The pipe is actually the only piece that is .oo4" the stove is .010". well I have enough metal for 3 stoves and 4-5 chimneys so cost per stove was about $50.00. I built it by hand with tin snips, a hand seamer and a small hand brake from Princess Auto I borrowed from my pops. Wasn't too hard to build.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM

That is an awesome stove. I would be very interested in knowing how you did it step by step. Looks like a great DIY project.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Stove

Great stove and I know its supposed to be light but.....if it had a double baffle system in the firebox you could get away without a spark arrester AND you'd burn a bit less wood because the baffles would slow the smoke down a bit and allow the stove to radiate the heat before it exited with the smoke. I made a barrel stove for my yurt with double baffles and its way efficient, for that kind of stove. Great job anyway and it's going to serve you well. There's nothing like being able to dry out and warm up at night.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Banned

Default more ideas

I can not use the .004 stock for a chimney because my stove has no feet, it hangs on the chimney. The chimney is my centerpole and the tarp weight keeps the stove/chimney straight.

Here is a horizontal rocket stove. Really it is a is a horizontal stove with baffles. I would like to see if it smokes at lower temperatures. When any stove gets real hot it does not smoke much. It might not be so good for cooking beacause the heat goes everywhere else before the cooktop. He has a good idea but maybe only channel the heat to the top middle then down the sides to the chimney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YqhoCypxg Sawdust burner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862RU4D1Q6U Rocket stove

There is also instructions on how to burn sawdust in a stove.
It works, I tried it in mine.

Last edited by chimpac; 03-27-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I can not use the .004 stock for a chimney because my stove has no feet, it hangs on the chimney. The chimney is my centerpole and the tarp weight keeps the stove/chimney straight.

Here is a horizontal rocket stove. Really it is a is a horizontal stove with baffles. I would like to see if it smokes at lower temperatures. When any stove gets real hot it does not smoke much. It might not be so good for cooking beacause the heat goes everywhere else before the cooktop. He has a good idea but maybe only channel the heat to the top middle then down the sides to the chimney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YqhoCypxg Sawdust burner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862RU4D1Q6U Rocket stove

There is also instructions on how to burn sawdust in a stove.
It works, I tried it in mine.
Dumb question! Where are the instructions?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default more sawdust

Instructions? Just whatever you see on the vidios.

This guy can't get his mind to stop thinking new things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcRCP4aH-Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMP1I6JYW8

Sawdust burns with out smoke in my stove using this rocket way of loading it. No smoke start to finish. I add a little waxed cardboard or a piece of wood to burn out the last of the sawdust.

Last edited by chimpac; 03-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default working inside sawdust stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdRRhVJorY
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Instructions? Just whatever you see on the vidios.

This guy can't get his mind to stop thinking new things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcRCP4aH-Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMP1I6JYW8

Sawdust burns with out smoke in my stove using this rocket way of loading it. No smoke start to finish. I add a little waxed cardboard or a piece of wood to burn out the last of the sawdust.
What do you think of this idea?
http://lifehacker.com/5861130/build-...over-food-cans

Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default rocket stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
I do not want to carry all that insulation around. I can get a clean burn without it.
I only use stoves that have chimneys. When you cook outside in the wind or whatever weather you need a windsreen.
I like the wind screen to be around and over top me not just the stove so I have to have a chimney.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I do not want to carry all that insulation around. I can get a clean burn without it.
I only use stoves that have chimneys. When you cook outside in the wind or whatever weather you need a windsreen.
I like the wind screen to be around and over top me not just the stove so I have to have a chimney.
Would it be too smoky to use inside a tarp tent? Could one mod a chimney to it?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default rocket stoves

Yes, of course a chimney can be made to vent any stove.

I have experimented with various type rocket and gassifiier stoves, always with a chimney attached.
I have not found anyone that burns cleaner than my original vertical can stove with the baffle.

Last edited by chimpac; 04-07-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course a chimney can be made to vent any stove.

I have experimented with various type rocket and gassifiier stoves, always with a chimney attached.
I have not found anyone that burns cleaner than my original vertical can stove with the baffle.
My focus is to come up with a rocket stove with a chimney that could be used to heat a smallish tarp tent. I like the insulated one being that it would retain heat longer. Saw one on YouTube, but can't remember where. If I find it, I will post the link. Read on one of your posts that you will mail a exact drawing for the baffle for your can stove. Still doing that?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

The insulation around the fire chamber pipe has one purpose only and that is to keep the burn temperature in the pipe as high as possible. The higher the temperaure the more complete the burn is. That means no smoke.

The rocket stoves I have made did not use a baffle but the heat was directed to the cooktop before the chimney.

I can fax you a baffle pattern for 5", 6", paint can size, 5 gallon can size.

Last edited by chimpac; 04-07-2013 at 01:59 PM.