Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Rock Polishing Kit

I am looking for some insight on a Rock Polishing Kit for our 8 year old sons birthday. He has taken a strong interest in rocks and gems over the last couple years so I figured I'd poke around and see what is out there. Nothing to fancy, just something he and I can operate together and have some fun in the process.

Thx,
MS
Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Default tumbler

Had one of these when I was a kid, thinking about makes me want another...
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Crafts-635-Rock-Tumbler/dp/B00000ISUU
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Any lapidary shop will carry tumblers that usually come with a 'starter kit' of different grits and clear directions. Tumblers do make a constant rumbling noise though - hope you have a garage or other spot to plug it in for the week+ needed.
Tip - also get one of the jewelry kits so your son can easily make earrings and other gifts (for Mom and others) from his tumbled rocks. The settings and glue are very inexpensive but the results .... priceless
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Could buy one of those cartridge cleaning tumblers. Kid gets bored, you didn't waste your money.

Grizz
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Rock polisher

Rock and gem in Edmonton , good selection a couple years back.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Bedrock supply in Edmonton should have them.

TBark
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Place called Michaels big craft store they sell a plastic starter model, comes with everything including rocks. Been a couple years since I bought one for my cousins girl think it was around $60.00 dollars, or rock and gem shop for a better model was about $160.00. I actually liked the sound of the tumbler but the wife made me keep it in the garage. Takes 4 to 5 weeks for a finished batch. I use 3- 15 pound barrels, one for each grit and a couple small ones for the polishing but as long as you clean the barrel really good between grits they do a very good job. Just make sure you use the same hardness of rocks or the softer ones will disappear. My grand kids love to help wash them between stages. Worked In Regina a couple summers lived at the campground in White City and drove to Souris every second Sunday to collect Agate, Petrified Wood and Jasper. When I would come back all the kids would come over to help wash them and pick out some of the ones they liked to start there collections. Kids love rocks and some even had their own collections that they picked and would come to show me and ask what kinds of rocks they had. There moms and dads said they were always picking up rocks. A great hobby have fun.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Default Thanx

That's again folks for the valuable input. With a little more research we should be able to pick the best option out there. I can't wait to see his face when he opens it!!!

MS