Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Pearls of Wisdom

I got word yesterday that a friend of mine had passed away. He was a good guy , a family man and cowboy at heart. He was into cutting horses and he loved to pick and sing. He was average at those last two things, but he loved it.

He had a fancy guitar, I think it was a Gibson. I know very little about guitars, but this sure looked like a good'un. I asked him about it.

He told me he bought it many, many years ago when he decided he wanted to take lessons. His teacher and anyone else who saw the guitar all said it was way more than he needed and that he could buy a cheaper one.

At that time he didn't really have a lot of discretionary cash, but he bought the guitar.

I asked him why.

He said he loved the look and sound of the thing so much that he knew he would spend hours picking it so hopefully he would be good at it. He also knew that as he got better he would enjoy playing it every single time he picked it up. He figured if he played it enough through his life, it would only cost a few pennies each time. By the time he died he was playing for free.

If he had bought a cheaper one. He figured it would be more chore to learn to play so he wouldn't be dedicated to learning so much. He also figured a cheap one wouldn't sound as good and he wouldn't look as good playing and he would hate it everytime he picked it up. As a result he wouldn't play as much and the cheap guitar would end up costing more for each time he HAD to play it.

Over the years I've seen his philosophy proven again and again.
I've never regretted having the best I could, buy I've sure hated some of the cheap stuff.

So let's hear the pearls of wisdom from your friends. Not your parents, they have to try to smarten you up, but what lessons have you learned from your friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asYKth792e0

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Sorry for your lose,

I like that way of thinking..

From my friends, Mostly all that I have learned, is if it is their idea to do something crazy/dumb, let them do it first.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned

Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend Redfrog.

Thomas Sowell