Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Default How often do you change your strings

Just curious I have had my bow now four years and have always kept the bow in a case with the strings waxed. How long should i get out of my strings before i need to look at changing them? Then when I do decide to change them whats everyone recommending for strings out there these days? what should i stay away from.? Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 AM

It is really dependent upon how much you should and how well you take care of them. I usually replace mine every 2 years and I am usually slinging arrows 4-5 times a weeks and all winter in my shop. I believe Jimbows deals with Vapor Trails and Accurate Archery deals with World's Best. I have used both and prefer Vapor Trails. 60x are supposed to be fairly good and I think most shops will install any strings you order online for a setup fee.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Whenever they show wear, wax'em and use'em, inspect prior to each use, anything looks worn replace right away...seen a fella on a mule deer stalk get within bow range went to knock an arrow on a limp bow, string broke, asked him after and he said it was a little frayed...lessons learned I guess.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 AM

My bow was 5 years old when I replaced the factory string. Lawrence at accurate told me the string was still in good shape! So I think it depends on quality of your factory string, how much you shoot, and how well you take care of it. I have a 60x on my bow now, and my back up string is a worlds best. They're both good quality. I recommend 60x because the cost is a bit less. Nice tight serving on it.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:07 PM

Just replaced my factory strings this year, over 10 years after purchasing the bow. They were still in pretty good shape but I figured new strings were a good idea.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
It is really dependent upon how much you should and how well you take care of them. I usually replace mine every 2 years and I am usually slinging arrows 4-5 times a weeks and all winter in my shop. I believe Jimbows deals with Vapor Trails and Accurate Archery deals with World's Best. I have used both and prefer Vapor Trails. 60x are supposed to be fairly good and I think most shops will install any strings you order online for a setup fee.
I have heard a lot of guys doing the every 2 year rotation. I dont shot that much but i do shot throughout the year as much as i can
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Whenever they show wear, wax'em and use'em, inspect prior to each use, anything looks worn replace right away...seen a fella on a mule deer stalk get within bow range went to knock an arrow on a limp bow, string broke, asked him after and he said it was a little frayed...lessons learned I guess.
i definitely do this and everything looks fine to this point
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 PM

For my hunting bows I change the string every 2 years or sooner.

While everyone looks at the condition of the string that they can outwardly see, I would like everyone to think about the parts of the string that they can't see, namely the strands under the serving. From failures that I have seen and many more that have been described to me, the majority of failures occur under the serving, more specifically I know a lot of them that have happened at the served loops, where the string and cables attach to the cams and limbs and work really hard.

Why is this important? It is so because we cannot wax under the servings, and if the bow is used outdoors in the rain, over time the wax that was put in when the string is manufactured will break down and be used up, like any other wax. Thus, over time the servings will wear on the string as it works below it. Furthermore, if the bow is used in incliment weather (as mine is all of August and September), the string will get wet under the servings, and if they are not brought in and thoroughly dried combined with no wax creates a situation where the wet (and dirty) string wears under the serving and we cannot see it.

Sooooo. That's my take on it. I have personally seen 2 string/cable failures of old string sets that have resulted in the total destruction of limbs and cams. Ironically, both were on bows that had been inspected and deemed "ok".

Is it not cheaper and easier to replace them every couple of years, rather than be out of a bow for the season, and run the risk of injury? Your call.

Jmo

Norm