Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Default New Rifle Stock - What has Worked For You?

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on rifle stocks as I am in the market for one for a project I’m going to be starting this winter. Here’s the story.

I inherited a rifle from the father in law. It’s a Sako L61R action. It is chambered in 7mm STW. The round count is very low. Between 20-40. He couldn’t remember he exact number. It has a 26” heavy barrel on it. It is a very nice set up. However the stock on it is rough. The butt plate has being removed and misplaced over the years. I’m looking to make this rifle for shooting long distances. Will mainly be a bench gun but will be taken into the field on occasion once it is shooting good.

I’m looking for opinions on stocks geared towards longer range shooting. I have checked out Boyds AT-One platform. Has anyone ever tried one of these? I have also looked at McMillan stocks. Checked out many of their tactical stocks. I liked the A-5 and A-3. Has anyone tried these stocks? Finally, are their shy Canadian brands out there that would be worth looking into? Would rather buy a Canadian product rather then pay the exchange rate.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting some experienced opinions.

DR
Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 AM

I did a MCR laminated wood stock for my F Class rifle.
Wildcat Composites Vartec stock for my Harvesting rifle coming up next.

Give Bob at Custom Gun WorX a call if your thinking about going long range. He won't steer you wrong.

Nothing wrong getting the low down on what might work good for your shooting style.

Don
Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 AM

McMillan is always a good choice if you are willing to pay the price.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM

There is a new outfit starting up out east who trained with the fellow who owned Robertson composites. They should make a quality product if they are anything close to the original. I've used McMillan and Boyd's for aftermarket stocks and have been satisfied with both.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM

Take a look at Wildcat Composites out of Sherwood Park. I have two of the VarTac stocks and they are incredible for long range hunting/shooting. I have sold all of my McMillans as the VarTac model shot a lot better for me. If you go this route make sure to get the carbon ibeam. Any competent gunsmith can inlet for any action you require.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM

Contact Chris at MCRS Tactical out of Calgary.
He computer designs his stocks, so if you like the forend from one model, and the grip from another model, and a totally different butt stock design, he can meld them together and get you exactly what you want.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM

I agree MCRS Tactical built me what I wanted and I wanted some specific things and I brought my own piece of wood. He also supplies wood. Great to deal with. I'm getting a couple more stocks built by Chris.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM

MCRS also does composite if that is what you prefer.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Chris built me an A5 clone for my 6.5-284. Seems to work well.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to check out the different options and see what everyone has to offer.

One thing I forgot to ask was what material to have the stock made off. Is there any benefits of composite over wood, other then weight when carrying. I have always being under the impression that a heavier wood stock would have less recoil then a lighter composite.

DR
Old 11-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Chris with MCR will let you know what works.

My friends is made of all Cheery Wood to save on weight, mine is Cheery Wood center section with birds eye maple along the side. It is some sweet.

Another fellow did the white Maple in the center with Cheery sides,,, dam fine looking stock.

If you look at the Wildcat Composites Stocks and your rifle is long action, let Stewart know this as he will make the front section solid in the Vartec stock.

Good luck on your quest DR. Both of these local stock builders will help you sort out your ideas if you go this route.

Don
Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Take a look at Wildcat Composites out of Sherwood Park. I have two of the VarTac stocks and they are incredible for long range hunting/shooting. I have sold all of my McMillans as the VarTac model shot a lot better for me. If you go this route make sure to get the carbon ibeam. Any competent gunsmith can inlet for any action you require.
does the VarTac only work with a Remington Model 700 action or can it work with other actions like a Sako or Tikka?

*edit* Should have read the rest of the sentence. the answer was right in front of me...as usual. haha

Last edited by jayquiver; 11-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Chris with MCR will let you know what works.

My friends is made of all Cheery Wood to save on weight, mine is Cheery Wood center section with birds eye maple along the side. It is some sweet.

Another fellow did the white Maple in the center with Cheery sides,,, dam fine looking stock.

If you look at the Wildcat Composites Stocks and your rifle is long action, let Stewart know this as he will make the front section solid in the Vartec stock.

Good luck on your quest DR. Both of these local stock builders will help you sort out your ideas if you go this route.

Don
Don,

Do you recall what model of stock you went with for your rifle. I’ve being in contact with Chris this afternoon and have got some very good information from him. I think I might take a trip to his shop and talk face to face. Always easier to hammer out the fine details in person.

DR