Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-31-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Best Skinning knife for $200

Hey fellas. I figured I would be exact about my budget, so in your experience, what skinning knife would you get for $200 or less?

No removable blade jobbies.

I know that is not a high end knife by any stretch, but it is all I got to put toward one at this time.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 12-31-2021, 05:16 PM

I really like my Grohmanns
Cat
Old 12-31-2021, 05:37 PM

I am a Grohmann fan too. You can save a bit more and buy factory seconds direct from them. My folding belt knife is a seconds and I have yet to find the flaw. Made in NS.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 12-31-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I really like my Grohmanns
Cat
Also a fan of Grohmanns. Good steel, holds an edge, fits the hand, and the angle and geometry just works. I don't know if there is anything better for that budget, and I don't think you would be able to tell if something was 'better'.

This is the one I have, I like the shorter blade on it.

https://grohmannknives.com/index.php...skinner-detail

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-31-2021, 06:56 PM

Gerber Gator CM154, excellent steel, non slip handle for under $100.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:49 PM

I will vote Grohmann as well.

Have a boat knife originally owned by my Grandfather, still holds an incredible edge and easy to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM

Buck 110

There are no absolutes
Old 12-31-2021, 05:51 PM

Mora, under $30 most places.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:58 PM

The "Best" is a subjective. I use my own but for a factory knife I like the Outdoor Edge Swingblade
Old 12-31-2021, 06:13 PM

I also like the Marttinni knives ( I use one on a regular basis ), but I much prefer a drop point to a clip or trailing point knife for field dressing and skinning .
Cat
Old 12-31-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
My current choice
Old 01-18-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
My current choice
My current choice as well. If I had $200 if by a Mora and a nice bottle of scotch.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
45 years plus and they still work just fine and if you lose one your out $35 bucks. Unlike my brothers Puma, he still cried over that knife 50 years later.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
45 years plus and they still work just fine and if you lose one your out $35 bucks. Unlike my brothers Puma, he still cried over that knife 50 years later.
Really good knives for the buck, laminated steel ( I guess the most people call it San Mai these days!), red plastic handles, and a plastic case .
I had two trapper buddies that used them for everything for field dressing to skinning.
I still carry one in the truck.
Cat
Old 12-31-2021, 08:54 PM

For $200? There's 2 choices, nice and smoking hot.

In our house we use Grohmann's and Damascus (technically it's pattern welded steel).

If you want to spend about $100 get a Grohmann. The fishing tackle store in Jasper puts their Grohmann's on sale each Thanksgiving weekend to clear out inventory.

If your budget is $200 then you can get Damascus steel, also in Jasper. I'm talking about real hand forged knives, not the Amazon or flea-Bay stuff. Bighorn gift store is the place, 604B Connaught Drive, Jasper, T0E 1E0. The owner imports hand made Damascus from Lebanon and we had a nice talk about the Rockwell hardness of his knives' edges. 8-9" drop point skinners are $159-170, labor costs are cheap in Lebanon.

If I had to choose for myself it would be the 8" custom hunting/skinning $159. YMMV. Damn, I think I'm talking myself into it.

facebook.com/bighornsteel/

Bighorn also sells semi-precious jewelry and stones as well. We found this place when my kids noticed the Damascus hunting knives for sale.

Last edited by tranq78; 12-31-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I can get behind not wanting to change blades, especially if fat and blood is freezing to it. I won’t change blades on mine unless I use pliers to hold the blade.

People like what they like. It’d be pretty boring if they didn’t.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:03 PM

Check out North Arm Lynx. They hold an edge exceptionally well. Since your in Alberta I’m guessing they wouldn’t charge the BC tax. Should be close to your budget.
The Grohmanns is also a good choice. Different look but like the way they fit my hand.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:24 PM

I have so many skinning knives amd that includes three handmade customs $$$. For sure Grohman is my favourite designed knives.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:41 PM

Spyderco stretch 2, on sale now at warriors and wonders for 130$

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2021, 10:59 PM

So far my fav is the Knives of Alaska elk hunter. The D2 steel stays sharp for a long time
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 12-31-2021, 11:19 PM

I tried all kinds of skinning knives for trapping/hunting even had some nice custom sets and I got rid of them all

Scalpel for fine work and cheap exacto knives for basic big game skinning is all I use now

They may not be pretty knives to show off but I have not found a better alternative yet
Old 12-31-2021, 11:58 PM

https://www.benchmade.com/hidden-can...mily-hunt.html

My buddy has this one, I love it ..... may splurge on one as well ...

I am currently using a Victorinox - I'm pretty sure it's around $50 and has moderate to soft steel which is nice when you re-touch it (very easy to touch up) and keep going with a razor sharp blade.

The Victorinox blade is larger/longer, but I like that as it seems you can keep control much better I find - the smaller blade is better for around the shanks but, then again around the legs it's not that critical.

https://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Ski...019690&sr=8-44
Old 01-01-2022, 12:11 AM

$200 for a knife?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-01-2022, 06:26 AM

Love my Bokor+ Dozier Pro Skinner. Keeps an edge like non other. Favourite knife so far
Old 01-01-2022, 11:54 AM

The original question was for skinning, and I like my Grohmanns for that, but I do 't carry them in the field as a rule for field dressing and gutting .
I cry several several knives for that, A Puma folder has been with me sincex1992.
I also carry a heavier Marttinni belt knife , a hatchet , and myeatherman is always on my belt .
Cat
Old 01-02-2022, 09:05 AM

I've been carrying an original Russell since 1968, except for the year it was lost in my pasture. I believe the model is called the "Yukon Skinner". It's a dead ringer for the Grohmann #1, except for the lanyard hole in the tang.

The current Russell website doesn't show anything even close to what I've got; maybe even a different company with a coincidental name. Does anyone know the backstory? I doubt if there's a "patent" per se on a blade shape or style, glad to see Grohmanns producing them.

When I first got it, I thought it looked kinda goofy, but you have to use one to appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:06 PM

Not typically sold as “hunting” knives but victorinox like the one linked above as well has henckels and F. Dick make good, purpose built skinning knives… and they are a lot less than $200. You’ll have to get creative for a sheath though.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:36 AM
Banned

Hanta versatile hand precision knife is good. I bought a pair for $189
Old 07-30-2022, 07:34 PM

I have a buddy I've hung out with since high school who makes top quality knives. You will get yourself a high end knife at 1/3 the price!! He was trained by R.W Wilson of Virginia, a very well known accomplished knifemaker in the U.S. Here is a pic of one style of skinning knife he makes. These are not lightweights. They are heavy and they hold an edge unlike anything I have ever used. A good friend of mine who passed away a few years ago bought one for skinning beaver. He had a big trap line with a large quota. He had so much water he would have his quota of 110+ beaver in the first few days of the season before the first ice was on. He tried one of these knives and bought a second immediately. He said he never owned a knife that could do 55 beaver without needing sharpening so he bought a second and did all 110 each year on the two knives then sharpened them for the next season. You won't find a better quality knife for $150-$175 and it comes with a fantastic quality heavy leather fitted sheath. PM me if you want his contact info or check out his page, Wynn Stitt Knives on FB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (117.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:06 PM

Years ago one of my brothers, on vacation, toured the Victorinox Swiss Army knife factory. He bought me a nice folding hunting knife while there and gave it to me. It’s one of my favourite hunting knives. IMO, you don’t need a big blade to do the job. Just sharp and know what to do with it.