Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Never Ice fished Pigeon for EYES.

Never done any icefishing for eyes at Pigeon before. Myself and a friend have Class A tags that we would like to fill. Not looking for any exact info or honey holes but a point in the right direction would be nice. thinking of heading out Saturday or Sunday mid morning till early evening.

PM me if you wish to keep info secret or not out in the public.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM

I was aware I would not get all that much help asking here, but nothing not even being called names for asking kind of hurts LOL
Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM

You may not get many replies as there are Lots of threads on pigeon and where to go. I always go to the provincial park and go straight out from the boat launch anywhere from 8 to 20fow. Green jig tipped with a minnow worked good for us a few weeks ago. The best time would be just before sunset. Good luck...
Old 01-09-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
You may not get many replies as there are Lots of threads on pigeon and where to go. I always go to the provincial park and go straight out from the boat launch anywhere from 8 to 20fow. Green jig tipped with a minnow worked good for us a few weeks ago. The best time would be just before sunset. Good luck...
Thank you Sir. If all goes well I will throw up some pics after the weekend if I do get out. My fishing buddy doesnt seem keen on going out if its too cold
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwloco View Post
Never done any icefishing for eyes at Pigeon before. Myself and a friend have Class A tags that we would like to fill. Not looking for any exact info or honey holes but a point in the right direction would be nice. thinking of heading out Saturday or Sunday mid morning till early evening.

PM me if you wish to keep info secret or not out in the public.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
try off the p park just on the drop off , or at grandveiw there is a little park, drive on their and go to the left ,find 8 -12 feet of water , their should be old holes that mark the spot.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
try off the p park just on the drop off , or at grandveiw there is a little park, drive on their and go to the left ,find 8 -12 feet of water , their should be old holes that mark the spot.

Take the above good advise and hit the ice. Concentrate on your shallower holes in the low light hours and have them tapped well before prime time. Fish the deeper parts of the structure off hours, mid morning early afternoon. Always have your second line out and move it around often if you're not getting bit. Dead stick minnow tipped jig right off bottom. Stay light as possible with your jig head. I prefer a short shank hook. Don't be afraid to jig a minnow meat tipped spoon. Brass has always been good @ Pige. Give Acme's Phoebe or Fiord some time, they're good. Share your successful outings with us with some photos.

Dace.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 PM

Here are a couple of spots on Pigeon no one ever mentions and they always produced thru the years. I marked the map.

In front of Sundance beach the shoreline drops off pretty quick. Some nice cobble stone on the bottom in the area. Walleye like their rocks.

The other location further SE that I marked is called "bird s**t island" and has some cobblestone to the west of the shallows (island) as it gets deeper. A great place for lingcod in February too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pigeon resized.jpg (62.7 KB, 278 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here are a couple of spots on Pigeon no one ever mentions and they always produced thru the years. I marked the map.

In front of Sundance beach the shoreline drops off pretty quick. Some nice cobble stone on the bottom in the area. Walleye like their rocks.

The other location further SE that I marked is called "bird s**t island" and has some cobblestone to the west of the shallows (island) as it gets deeper. A great place for lingcod in February too.

Thanks for the info. much appreciated
Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Just to add there is an access point on the north shore. Right in front of where the map says Golden Days is a good easy boat launch where you can drive on typically. one mile west of hwy 778 and follow the shoreline road till you see the boat launch.

Be careful on the ice in front of the Rundle Mission.(you can see the log mission when you are in front of it) There is a year round spring there and ice can be thinner.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Wow, nothing short of drilling the holes and catching the fish for you.
Id say you owe Red Bullets a bottle of Rum or Timmies card if he doesn't drink
Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcales View Post
Redbullets is giving away some good spots at pigeon. the mid lake hump is also productive at times. Never tried at bird-poop island.

Last edited by buckmaster; 01-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcales View Post
Too funny. If he goes there and doesn't catch, he'll be mad. I am going to owe him a bottle or timmies.

The north shoreline used to have alot of fishermen but now no one mentions anywhere but the provincial park. I remember the two areas I mentioned as having lots of rocks. Good walleye ground around rocks. Straight south of Sandholm store was good for lingcod and pike. Very weedy and uneven bottom.

I am merely suggesting past good areas and encouraging fishermen to spread out a bit. There is almost 100 square kilometers of lake to explore.

If the ice is good... Way out deep in 25-30 feet was good in the past too on bright days.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:

The north shoreline used to have alot of fishermen but now no one mentions anywhere but the provincial park. I remember the two areas I mentioned as having lots of rocks. Good walleye ground around rocks. Straight south of Sandholm store was good for lingcod and pike. Very weedy and uneven bottom.

I am merely suggesting past good areas and encouraging fishermen to spread out a bit. There is almost 100 square kilometers of lake to explore.

If the ice is good... Way out deep in 25-30 feet was good in the past too on bright days.
Very true Red. about 25 to 30yrs ago sundance, mission and fisherhome had hundreds of people fishing on any given weekend. Whites used to cruise by the shallow areas and many were caught;used too be lots of nice perch caught also in deeper waters . Not many people fish pigeon like it was fished 30yrs ago.. I still remember when myself and many other people would take very little effort to catch a daily limit of whites. Many good trips and memories back in the day....
Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 PM

You mention Fisher Home....just so any newbies icefishing at pigeon should know... read the regulations good..

the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek. CLOSED all year.
This closed area would include Fisher home.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Did not get a chance to get out this weekend, but will be going for sure this weekend. Pictures and videos will happen for sure.

Thanks to all of you for the great information. I will be sure to pass on the good karma.

Thanks again,
JW