Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Anyone gone through the ice yet?

Normally there is a thread or two about a vehicle that has gone through the ice. Nothing has popped up yet?

Are people being wise and safe or are they not telling?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Normally there is a thread or two about a vehicle that has gone through the ice. Nothing has popped up yet?

Are people being wise and safe or are they not telling?
Good ice foundation this year, clear black on the four lakes ive been on this yr and near or over 12" since xmas.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Good ice foundation this year, clear black on the four lakes ive been on this yr and near or over 12" since xmas.
I can't believe I only had to read your response once to understand it this time .... good job gunner ... just teasing

I can say the ice is definitely been excellent in most places this year and I hope not to hear that anyone has been unfortunate enough to fall thru.

There was the one person in Sask, back in December if I recall, that lost his life due to driving on 10"-12" of solid ice .......... which .......... unfortunately .... isn't enough ice.

I have not heard of anyone falling through - but there were some vehicles stuck (one wheel break through kind of thing) according to another forum.

There are always thin spots in lakes ..... so be careful.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 PM

The weather this year has been ideal for keeping people safe.

short cold to setup ice, then warm lots of snow, not many trusting people.

more mild weather, slow but consistent ice build then BAM long stretch of good hard cold.

complacency is killer though. stay sharp.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM

I believe it has been pure luck. Saw and heard of quite a few trucks on less than 12" of ice, as little as 10" or even less. Was on a lake this year when there was 8" where I was and saw a truck drive on a little ways down the lake. Pure luck IMO. Most lakes should be no problem now but you still have to be carefull and know the lake.

Hit a lake one time at the end of Jan, previous 2 weeks the temp was -30. After we got to the spot and drilled holes, found that there was about 6" ice then 4" air gap then 6" ice. When we left, one tire broke through the first layer. We got off there slow but as fast as we could with windows open and ready to jump. Scary !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I believe it has been pure luck. Saw and heard of quite a few trucks on less than 12" of ice, as little as 10" or even less. Was on a lake this year when there was 8" where I was and saw a truck drive on a little ways down the lake. Pure luck IMO. Most lakes should be no problem now but you still have to be carefull and know the lake.

Hit a lake one time at the end of Jan, previous 2 weeks the temp was -30. After we got to the spot and drilled holes, found that there was about 6" ice then 4" air gap then 6" ice. When we left, one tire broke through the first layer. We got off there slow but as fast as we could with windows open and ready to jump. Scary !
Yup .... sounds like that could not have been fun.

Devils lake last year ..... 18" everywhere of good solid ice ....... drilled a hole 20 yards away for a tip up and there was less than 6" of ice. Scary considering a group of us had vehicles on the ice close to that spot.

At the end of the day we followed our tracks back to shore carefully.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM

I heard of one that went through at Gull, not sure if it went all the way through or just broke the surface though. I am surprised there weren't more that went through out there considering some of the pictures that were posted when ice wasn't the greatest quality.

Now with 15+ inches pretty much everywhere a guy should be pretty safe unless lake has springs/current.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:07 PM

I heard a side x side went through at pigeon Right before Christmas. I think it cost the passenger their life...

Play safe kids!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
I heard a side x side went through at pigeon Right before Christmas. I think it cost the passenger their life...

Play safe kids!
I read about an accident on pigeon lake before Xmas that involved a side by side but no one went through the ice the passenger died because of a roll over
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Default devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Devils lake last year ..... 18" everywhere of good solid ice ....... drilled a hole 20 yards away for a tip up and there was less than 6" of ice. Scary considering a group of us had vehicles on the ice close to that spot.

very dangerous lake river meanders through it
Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

3rd week of march last season....40 inches of ice at Lac ste anne.

buddy decided to drive across the lake and found a 20ft section of open water. confirmed it wasnt surface melt water...totally open water.

I bought a sled and have no issues not driving on lakes anymore....its not worth it