Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 02:40 AM

Default Beavers for bear bait.

I'm curious to hear some bear hunters ideas and tips for hanging a beaver carcass at a bait site. I know some use cages, some hang them with upside down pails over them, some hang them tail up, some tail down. I've even seen them nailed to a tree through the tail. What's your favorite and longest lasting method? Looking for some advice to help prevent a quick theft. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Hang in a 5 gallon pail. Drill 3 or 4 1 inch holes about 2 inches down from top of pail, around the the pail. Put lid on tight. Hang where bear can not reach, at least 10 or 12 feet high. As the sun warms the pail the juices will drip out of these holes leaving a continuous smell. Since holes are at the top of the pail it will not dry out.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 AM

I have a dark red black 10 gallon metal pale with a lid. Used an angle grinder and cut slits all around it , hang it right side up with a wire thru it. Toss loose end of wire over a big branch , pull it up to desired height , wrap and tie for ease of access.
Only ever came back to the baits with an empty barrel once, still don’t know how the beaver was removed hahah
Old 05-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Hang a wood pole from between two trees, nail it higher then 6 ft..
Then hang the beaver at least 6 ft. from the ground in the middle,giving enough space between the trees.. hang it well,as i have seen cubs get on the pole and try to get some action too.
So any bear hitting your bait is at least 6 ft. giving you an idea if something worthy of hunting, or waiting until....
baiting on the ground with other stuff to keep em comming, dog food, snack junk,etc.
just my thoughts..Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
I'm curious to hear some bear hunters ideas and tips for hanging a beaver carcass at a bait site. I know some use cages, some hang them with upside down pails over them, some hang them tail up, some tail down. I've even seen them nailed to a tree through the tail. What's your favorite and longest lasting method? Looking for some advice to help prevent a quick theft. Thanks.
YOU will get lots of answers ,there seem to be lots of beavers for sale this year not to much outfitting going on .make a cage or cut up ,also drag one down cutline to your bait ,good luck
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM

I used beer kegs. Cut three sides of the top as wide as you can and cut a few small holes around the keg about 2”x2”. Peel it open, stuff it full of beavers. Fold the flap back down and bolt it shut. Chain it to a tree and it’ll last all season. They’ll spend hours rolling it around and they’ll get small scraps through the little holes but they won’t be able to eat it. The smell is all you need to attract them and the food at the bait will keep them around.