Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
I don't think social media is the problem.
When I graduated high school there were about 24 million people in Canada
Now there are more than 38 million.
If even a small percentage of the delta want to start hunting that means a lot more people trying to find a place to hunt in a country that is still the same size.
You only have to look at the area around Calgary or Edmonton... the city now sprawls all over the prairie, thousands of acres of what used to be good hunting land is now subdivisions or acreages where folks want to have a horse and the country life... No hunting allowed.
As for Rinella - I like his show. Sure they're hustling something but you've gotta give the guy credit. He took his passion and managed to get someone to pay him to pursue it. In general terms he seems pretty genuine and actually seems to "hunt" rather than making the 1000 yd shot - which makes for some amazingly cool TV but almost certainly inspires members of the general hunting population to make stupid decisions.
I agree that population increase and habitat decrease plays a bigger role than Social Media.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post
What are the two podcasts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1- Trad quest -the guys get legends of traditional hunting on, and guys who no one hears about who work 9-5 all year but take off Aug-November and hunt just for themselves

Tradquest was the only one I could listen to but they havent done any since August, so I found another that is alright,
2- Stick boys
Its in connection with PBS and there is a good old boy Allen ? Who keeps the other 2 hosts grounded.
They read some stories from Jay masseys books, like a fred bears field notes
3- Oh and fred bears field notes is also a podcast and worth listening to so there is 3

Besides that all I can stomach is gardening podcasts
Lol

Brad
Old 01-06-2022, 09:34 AM

Default Rinella brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I agree. Another that is over the top after the kill is Cody Robins. I like his shows but his and Kelsey’s orgasmic endings are a little over the top.
Agreed, I won’t even watch them anymore. Can’t stand that BS.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:08 AM

I agree with the idea that social media is ruining more than just hunting. I struggle to watch some of the American TV shows because I find they are doing for wrong reasons, plus I think the way they describe the process of the hunts to be terrible (in general).
I will say that I am a big fan of Cody Robbins, he has displayed hunting in the best way through media and tv in my personal opinion, along with Canadian Whitetail.
It would be nice to use as as an online journal (as an above poster mentioned), since you know you'll always be able to look up your past hunts and relive those memories, which I am sure is what most folks on here use it for.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Most people have no idea what goes on in a hunt. The only thing they know is what they happened to have seen on TV. You are right it hurts the image of hunters and can turn people off. My wife has never been on a deer hunt with me. She sat and watched a show with me years ago, as the boys whooped carried on over the dead deer the look on her face.... I had to assure her the majority of hunters had a lot more respect for the life they had just taken than these clowns. I rarely watch any hunting anymore, the only guy I will watch is Rinella.
Another way they hurt hunting, is the promotion of products that are supposed to make your hunt a sure thing. Anyone who has been at this long enough knows there is no substitute for time spent in the field, but in their attempts to peddle snake oil to sportsmen I think they've managed to convince the general public that poor bambi doesnt stand a chance against the technology available to modern hunters.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Another way they hurt hunting, is the promotion of products that are supposed to make your hunt a sure thing. Anyone who has been at this long enough knows there is no substitute for time spent in the field, but in their attempts to peddle snake oil to sportsmen I think they've managed to convince the general public that poor bambi doesnt stand a chance against the technology available to modern hunters.
Agree, most non hunters are not against hunting if it is fair chase. After watching these shows many non hunters don't see it as fair chase when they witness all the technology used these days to kill them. Add to that the over the top celebration and lack of reverence for the animal displayed after the kill by many of the TV warriors definitely turns people off.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:44 AM

Pros and cons to social media. Pros being connecting with other and learning cons fuelling people that Dont agree with other people doing something they don't want. For all the guys bashing social media this site IS social media just a really dated platform keep that in mind and look at your post count a lot of guys want to bash SM it but it looks like they really enjoy it.

Last edited by Dubious; 01-07-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:13 AM

1 video on YouTube lead to Alberta banning spears and atlatls for hunting. Whether you agree with it or not it shows how much power social media has.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
1 video on YouTube lead to Alberta banning spears and atlatls for hunting. Whether you agree with it or not it shows how much power social media has.
I think you mean Poorly edited video on Youtube leads Alberta to banning spears atlatis and buck shot under 24 cal for hunting big game after non resident alien trained spear hunter gut spears bear from 7’.

I wonder if Josh Bowmar had a do over if he would film and post that differently or if the fall out was a feather in his cap. That video put a lot of people in government and stakeholders in a very difficult position.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Pros and cons to social media. Pros being connecting with other and learning cons fuelling people that Dont agree with other people doing something they don't want. For all the guys bashing social media this site IS social media just a really dated platform keep that in mind and look at your post count a lot of guys want to bash SM it but it looks like they really enjoy it.
As I stated earlier, people themselves are destroying things, it is what we do .
Even good social media has bad points, and people in general tend to jump on the bad part of anything and yell long and loud about things.

Pick one thing about your favorite anything and you can find a pile of negatives about it if you look, be it cars, trucks, rifles or even pencils!
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 10:57 AM

Hunting is a 'sport' that exists at the pleasure of the public that does not hunt. Most people don't hunt but they vote. If they decide hunting is no longer an acceptable pursuit they will strop it.

A good example of what became unacceptable is listed above. Spear hunting bear. Another is running coyotes with dogs. That activity ended abruptly when some knob invited a tv crew out on a chase.

The point of all this is that we as hunters need to be careful of the image we present to the public who don't hunt. I once engaged in conversation with a Deputy Minister about a topic and I thought he needed to hear a hunters side of the argument (haha). He paused and said to me, "If all you hunters voted in one riding, you would have difficulty influencing the outcome of the vote." This is paraphrased but basically he told me to get lost.

Hunter numbers are minority numbers. There are not a lot of us. Politicians care about votes. Our influence is minimal. Acting up and engaging in behaviours that non hunters find objectionable doesn't do any of us any good.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Hunting is a 'sport' that exists at the pleasure of the public that does not hunt. Most people don't hunt but they vote. If they decide hunting is no longer an acceptable pursuit they will strop it.

A good example of what became unacceptable is listed above. Spear hunting bear. Another is running coyotes with dogs. That activity ended abruptly when some knob invited a tv crew out on a chase.

The point of all this is that we as hunters need to be careful of the image we present to the public who don't hunt. I once engaged in conversation with a Deputy Minister about a topic and I thought he needed to hear a hunters side of the argument (haha). He paused and said to me, "If all you hunters voted in one riding, you would have difficulty influencing the outcome of the vote." This is paraphrased but basically he told me to get lost.
Hunter numbers are minority numbers. There are not a lot of us. Politicians care about votes. Our influence is minimal. Acting up and engaging in behaviours that non hunters find objectionable doesn't do any of us any good.
It's not just hunting, you can danged near name any sport you want and you will likely be able to find an instance or on some cases a group dedicated to shutting it down, or at least water it down soo it is a shadow of its former self.
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post

Like Washington dropping the spring B-Bear hunt..

Anyone remember the series "Trijicon's "The Hunt"" on Netflix? That host was the worst if you wanted hootin and hollerin and merch plugs.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
ohhh come on you ate some stuff in university

Rinella is one fella I listen too when he speaks.

Social media has many platforms and we can pick and choose accordingly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-07-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As I stated earlier, people themselves are destroying things, it is what we do .
Even good social media has bad points, and people in general tend to jump on the bad part of anything and yell long and loud about things.

Pick one thing about your favorite anything and you can find a pile of negatives about it if you look, be it cars, trucks, rifles or even pencils!
Cat

Boobs?
Old 01-07-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Boobs?
Yup even boobs depending on who you talk to, I know, it's crazy talk!
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup even boobs depending on who you talk to, I know, it's crazy talk!
Cat

Haha. I thought I had hit on the one thing we could all agree on.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Boobs?
There are some pretty beat up things out there 😂 some things you can’t unsee.

Last edited by Dubious; 01-07-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
This is off the AEP website:
Total resident hunters:
2016 = 127,020
2017 = 122,760
2018 = 122,085
2019 = 119,664
2020 = 151,724

Looks like things were trending down before covid showed up. That's cause for some optimism. Maybe I'll hold off on selling all my hunting gear and taking up pickleball.
I could very well be wrong, but how much of the 2020 numbers is having to buy your wildlife cert when you put in for draws? I know covid drew some outdoors, but not sure if that factors into the numbers? Also can't remember if we've had to do that 1 or 2 years now either. Off topic
Old 01-07-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There are some pretty beat up things out there 😂 some things you can’t unsee.

Like a Canyon Creek stripper?
Old 01-07-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
I could very well be wrong, but how much of the 2020 numbers is having to buy your wildlife cert when you put in for draws? I know covid drew some outdoors, but not sure if that factors into the numbers? Also can't remember if we've had to do that 1 or 2 years now either. Off topic

Covid was a huge factor in hunter numbers for sure. I've never seen anything like the hunter numbers up north in 2020.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:42 PM

Default Media

I agree. I feel once dust settles alot of what we call covid hunters will stop. I love that their is interest. But from what I've seen conservation is never a part of the want to hunt. They cheat/ crash course the hunters Ed and pal.
I know of 4 covid hunters that pot shot animals from yardage my dad would of smacked me for if I did when I first started.
In my opinion the last couple yrs of added hunters will make our world worse. Social media influences add to this..
Watch this famous guy with all this top of the line stuff go wack animals.. And it's easy.. Right..?
Ugh
Rinella. And the like I feel were/ are bringing awareness to what we do. It's way more then harvesting an animal..
Social media has turned hunting into Killing.
Now I do. Sound negative, I don't mean to.. There are alot of ppl that will do great and respect land/animals etc. But I do believe there is also a lot of lack of respect and lack of knowledge.
My two cents worth only 1 and a half
Old 01-24-2022, 07:50 PM

Matt was used to a world where you could actually get away from the crowds entirely, and he doesn’t give a crap about fame or profit. Things changed. More hunters, lighter gear, more know how, less access and fewer animals. I understand the anger. Steve helped bring some of those changes about.

That being said, without social media and the ability to communicate and warn each other, we would have quickly and quietly been legislated out of hunting all together. Washington and BC are good examples of how things can go.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I just listened to an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. Steven Rinella's brother was a guest and went on a huge rant about how social media is ruining hunting. Ep. 304 The fish shack's revenge.

Considering Meat Eater are the absolute masters of modern hunting media use to promote commerce, it was interesting they gave him a voice to oppose them on their own social media platform.

Some of his points were around hunter recruitment and how many hunters are enough, social media likes as a major motivation for killing big animals, how hunting shows hunt private land but promote the public land hunting lifestyle, he also asked them outright how many animals they've wounded and not recovered during filming but never mentioned. They never really answered that question (no judgment on my part, we've all wounded animals).

It sounds like the over crowding of public land hunting areas is just as bad in Montana as it is in Southern Alberta. 2020 and 21 were so busy out in the foothills and I found it detracted from the overall hunting experience. It makes me wonder how many hunters are enough hunters, but I don't want to give up my opportunities so why would anyone else?

Hopefully when covid goes away things go back to normal out there. But somehow I don't think it ever will.....
I found this post I made one year ago, which I forgot about.
I'm wondering if peoples opinions have changed or if they're the same one year later?

Myself, I still think that social media isn't improving hunting.

As for hunter numbers on public land, I had an injury that prevented me from hunting elk anywhere near as much as I had in other years, so as a result saw less hunters. Rifle opening day was just as big a gong show as last year, only the elk forgot to show up, so way less shooting.
Both my deer were harvested in areas where there are less people and way less hunting pressure. These spots are new to me but no doubt I'm crowding some hunters old spots!

I still listen to the Meat Eater podcast because it's the most entertaining.
Almost every time I look at Facebook I think about deleting it, but it's a good way to get community news and keep in touch with far away relatives.

So not much has changed in a year.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Myself, I still think that social media isn't improving hunting.
I feel social media improves very little. That being said, unless you count this forum, I'm not on social media, so likely not the best judge.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
ohhh come on you ate some stuff in university

Rinella is one fella I listen too when he speaks.

Social media has many platforms and we can pick and choose accordingly.
Rinella is basically the only one I will watch. If ever there is any type of emoji in a post of mine it means I have a big smile on my face and it is light hearted.

This is social media and I obviously enjoy it, but I follow Shockley on Facebook and the rude sht that people say to that mean as he’s nursing his wife through cancer is beyond belief.

Social media can be good or bad. Overall, in terms of hunting, the jury is definitely out.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
Yep and Newburg tried Wolf.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:49 AM

I rarely watch TV at all, I see a podcast or something like tta at my kid's lace every now and then, but that's about it.
I get sent links to Yutube videos regularly by guys who bascally tell me that this or that method of whatever is the latest greatest, but I don't often watch the whole thing.
This is because I either learned what they are talking about on the video years ago ( from books, mentors, and years of learning ) , or it is so far above my pay grade as a hunter or shooter that it is useless info - for example, how a certain method of loading will decrease a group size by 1/8MOA at 1,000 meters- to get there I would have to use equipment worth thousands of dollars more than I can afford, let alone the amount of tine needed to get there.
One thing about all this new technology and the internet however, is the learning curve has been shortened up drastically , which is a good thing in some ways.
The bad thing is that many people forget to learn the basics and run right to the deeper end of the learning pool , which is not a good thing.
Cat
Old 01-06-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yep and Newburg tried Wolf.
I guess as long as you're eating what you kill the public doesn't freak out too bad. Might also be a sponsor thing too.....

Of all the tv hunters, Newberg's my favourite. Also his podcast is pretty good, just sometimes too US subject matter focused for me. Also, my wife says he has a goofy laugh!

He'd be a good hunting partner, or at least his tv persona would be.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I guess as long as you're eating what you kill the public doesn't freak out too bad. Might also be a sponsor thing too.....

Of all the tv hunters, Newberg's my favourite. Also his podcast is pretty good, just sometimes too US subject matter focused for me. Also, my wife says he has a goofy laugh!

He'd be a good hunting partner, or at least his tv persona would be.
Thanks to the Youtube algorithms, I have got into Newbergs hunting series and the Mountain man series with Billy Molls. Randy's is pretty down to earth and his vids show success and defeat. Watching Billy and his hunters walking endless valley's and mountain tops in search of their quarry shows me what a hunt I will never do is all about.

Meat Eater is my favorite though.