Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2022, 09:53 AM

Default hunter stalked

Friend told me about a guy hunting up NW of Edmonton last week. He had a couple of instances where he heard slight disturbances behind him. He was on edge and carrying his gun at the ready. Then he turned around quickly and a cougar was coming at him in the air. He shot it in the mouth as the cat carried on and knocked him to the ground. The cat was dead.

Keep your head up
Old 10-14-2022, 10:13 AM

Mid air meeting of death. Good story. You have to have one for F&W. SSS works too 🕺
Old 10-14-2022, 01:23 PM

I was sitting in a creek next to a deadfall in the earlier part of the season - too hot for anything other than an ambush and I was all comfy in my chair when all of a sudden, a bunch of crashing and doe bleating in the forest next to the creek bank. A doe broke through the grass, it was pretty ripped up, and limped across the creek and disappeared into the alders. Two minutes later i watched the grass and shrubs move again and cougar appeared along the top of the bank looking for his lunch. He spotted me pretty quick and just sat there watching for a couple of minutes. I had my bow sight on him the whole time at about 15 yards and a tag in my pocket, but I was 5 days away from cougar season.

From the state of that doe i would not want one of those cats around my neck.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:41 PM

Been there and lived to tell about it......

The hunter is now the hunted....how eerie ...

It's been over 20 years ago and I can recount my incident like it was yesterday....The hairs on my body still bristle when I think of it....

I am so aware of my surroundings and especially cougars when I am hunting alone and in low light conditions.

Today's callers are so good that your caller can aptly bring in your deer, moose and elk but equally successful; seduce the predators.....and sometimes even other hunters.

Be careful out there, you are not alone.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-14-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:46 PM

I called one in about 10 years ago sitting in a tree stand sat and watched me for about 10 minutes pretty freaky.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
He shot it in the mouth as the cat carried on and knocked him to the ground. The cat was dead.
Do you know if the hunter got to keep the cat !
Old 10-14-2022, 09:03 PM

One of our hunting party was piddling around practicing his elk bugling. Had a big female wolf come bounding through the long grass at him, she's on the top of his stairwell.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-14-2022, 11:14 PM

Cat was a big female, but pretty skinny.

Fish cops noted the shot in the mouth and let him keep the cat
Old 10-14-2022, 11:23 PM
Banned

Buy a tag
Shoot as many as you can
(1 a year)
Old 10-15-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Buy a tag
Shoot as many as you can
(1 a year)
I wish I had a cougar season during deer season in my area and I would definitely carry a tag.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:59 AM

Probably about 10 years ago I was hunting deer on a cold sunny November morning. It had snowed a couple inches the night before. I found a fresh cat track and was following it. After about 10 minutes the cat was no more than 20’ from me to my right in some buck brush. It took off through that thick crap and I was amazed how much ground it covered in like 2 seconds.

I think in most cases if a cat really wanted you for lunch you wouldn’t get your gun off your shoulder.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I wish I had a cougar season during deer season in my area and I would definitely carry a tag.
^this. I am seeing more and more cats on my cameras. It’s definitely a bit eerie walking into the stand these days in the dark with only a bow.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:11 AM

followed fresh moose tracks west of Bragg Ck for 4km and in further than i wanted to haul out a moose...on my return i had cat tracks over mine and the moose tracks for almost the entire way...never saw the cat ...met the guys once out hunting by Sundre who had the original pic of their buddy with an elk i believe and the cat in the background just sitting and watching ... an old neighbor got dusted by a cougar in the old man drainage packing out a moose, he got up notched an arrow and dusted the cougar ( he was not allowed to keep it)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Where is your wmu?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Where is your wmu?
A portion of the 300’s don’t open till December 1
Old 10-15-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
A portion of the 300’s don’t open till December 1
Oh, ok CMA. got ya.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:45 PM

A couple of years ago on the last day of the season, I was trying to get a WT buck. I got lucky and got a nice 4x7. I was shooting through heavy cover and waited a half hour before I went looking (it went 30 yds) because I wasn't quite sure how I had hit it.

As I walk up to it apparently I wasn't the only one there who thought it was his.....as I heard the unmistakable spine-tingling growl of a cougar. He never showed his face which put me on high alert for a while with gun and knife in hand. My solution was to drag the deer 75 yards into an open area, figuring (probably wrongly) an extra 1/2 second might allow me to respond quickly enough. Thankfully he waited until I had deboned it and left.