Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2022, 06:52 AM

Default November 1

Well here it is the day before rifle season in many areas. Our crew has 2 antlered moose and 1 antlerless tags. I haven’t been seeing nearly as many moose this year as last year so I may need your help.

Now I’m not asking for your honey holes or anything like that but if anyone knows where we can find some moose (preferably alfalfa fed) west of Edmonton we would appreciate it.

Now to ensure it is quality meat we would prefer that all moose you are reporting to me are no more than 18 months old and please ensure the antlerless is a dry heifer..

In addition we are only interested in moose that you see in the morning as we don’t want to shoot one late in the day as we hate having to use flashlights when gutting or skinning.

We would prefer moose in fields as opposed to bush as we wouldn’t want to exert to much energy trying to get them out. Hilly fields are best that way you can just roll them into the back of the pickup.

Private land works best as then we don’t have to deal with other hunters on crown land.

Moose that are around farm yards are good as they are accustomed to people and dogs barking and usually you can get fairly close to them. It also helps significantly to get close since we all hunt with our SKS’s and they are not known for their accuracy.

We also would like, if possible the moose on the west side of north/south bound roads. This way we don’t have to deal with the morning sun shining in our eyes making for a more difficult shot.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:54 AM
Banned

Hahahahahaha
These non stop posts are coming
Old 10-31-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hahahahahaha
I think the OP is using a bit of sarcasm...

And good luck to all this November!
Old 10-31-2022, 07:36 AM

I'm glad t hear you're not after my honey holes.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well here it is the day before rifle season in many areas. Our crew has 2 antlered moose and 1 antlerless tags. I haven’t been seeing nearly as many moose this year as last year so I may need your help.

Now I’m not asking for your honey holes or anything like that but if anyone knows where we can find some moose (preferably alfalfa fed) west of Edmonton we would appreciate it.

Now to ensure it is quality meat we would prefer that all moose you are reporting to me are no more than 18 months old and please ensure the antlerless is a dry heifer..

In addition we are only interested in moose that you see in the morning as we don’t want to shoot one late in the day as we hate having to use flashlights when gutting or skinning.

We would prefer moose in fields as opposed to bush as we wouldn’t want to exert to much energy trying to get them out. Hilly fields are best that way you can just roll them into the back of the pickup.

Private land works best as then we don’t have to deal with other hunters on crown land.

Moose that are around farm yards are good as they are accustomed to people and dogs barking and usually you can get fairly close to them. It also helps significantly to get close since we all hunt with our SKS’s and they are not known for their accuracy.

We also would like, if possible the moose on the west side of north/south bound roads. This way we don’t have to deal with the morning sun shining in our eyes making for a more difficult shot.

Thanks in advance for your help.
West of Edmonton has a lot of zones ....which one are you hunting ?
Old 10-31-2022, 02:00 PM

Our group does it almost exactly like you said. I've never shot into the sun or worked hard to get my field moose into the truck, except we hunt east of the city I'm so sorry. I wish I could have helped you. Best of luck finding the spot for you.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:31 PM

I personally am looking for peoples honey holes. You can PM me the GPS co-ordinates, but only if there is a geo-tagged photograph bearing proof attached.

I'm tired so it would be much appreciated!
Old 10-31-2022, 05:21 PM

I am also looking for cranker bulls, both elk and moose, to be shot in one field on the same day. I don’t care if it is morning or evening as long as I only have to drive once to save on gas and time. The field owner must have a tractor to lift the animals for skinning and loading them to my vehicle after; otherwise, do not message me please because my inbox space is limited. Prefer the animals to be big enough for the B&C books, but will settle on slightly smaller.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:33 PM

I have one tied up in the back yard but, you'll have to be quick...
Old 10-31-2022, 10:56 PM

Default Great stuff

That's fantastic! Thanks for the laugh.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I'm glad t hear you're not after my honey holes.
How many holes does one need

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-01-2022, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hahahahahaha
Let the show begin
Old 11-01-2022, 01:31 PM

I have a ranch you can hunt from 0800hrs to 1830hrs Nov 2-3 for only $2500.

That is just a road maintenance fee and has nothing to do with paid hunting...

Because that would be wrong........

You can hide behind the fresh alfalfa bales but try not to walk too much on the clover. Keys to the Kubota are in the coffee cup holder.....

Lol
Old 11-02-2022, 06:23 AM

Well thanks to the outstanding number of pm’s I received we got the antlerless tag filled at 5:20 last night. My nephew made a 70 yard shot with his marlin 45/70 cb through the lungs and it only went about 10’. Sorry no pics as I left my phone in the vehicle.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:48 AM

Had to check my calendar, thought it was April 1!
Old 11-02-2022, 12:41 PM

I have a lead on a self-butchering one, just west of wabamun…. On a perfect dry field, well fed on alfalfa and honey(gives the meat that nice flavour)… The local bear has been massaging it for the perfect tenderness… I think this moose’s name tag said something like Wagu or Mugu…
Old 11-04-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well thanks to the outstanding number of pm’s I received we got the antlerless tag filled at 5:20 last night. My nephew made a 70 yard shot with his marlin 45/70 cb through the lungs and it only went about 10’. Sorry no pics as I left my phone in the vehicle.
Wait, so you weren’t kidding? Haha. Well done! Congrats to the nephew on the moose!