Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Scout scope options

Just looking for everyone’s opinion on scout scopes. I’ve only ever shot rifles with true rifle scopes. This one would be for a lever action model 92 Rossi. I just have issues seeing the sights in the early and late hours, which are prime hunting times in the big timber. Not that a scope will solve all my issues but I’ve always found it easier to pick up.
I may give red dots a try but I’m not a fan of anything with batteries.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:56 AM

Vortex 2-7 scout is an affordable option. I have been down this road myself.. I find a scope really changes the balance of a lever but I also struggled with low light.. tried a red dot...tr25...was great for fast action but still not good at low light as it was too bright... perhaps a green dot might be better?? Havent tried that yet.. fiber optic beads are great. Peeps paired with a fiber optic or even a big thick white post is visible for me till almost last legal light in most cases. Certain rear sights also have fiber optic options like the RPP clover peep. Pretty sure William's also makes a standard rear sight and front bead that use green and red fiber optic that should work quite well.
I also love the marbles bulls eye sight paired with a fiber optic bead front sight.. as it is much easier to use than a std flat or semi buck std rear sight...
As far as scopes go the vortex is the only one I have experience with...its an ok scope.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:29 PM

I have a tr25 red dot on my 357 carbine. Not great for groups and I never trust batteries. Lol.
I have a bullseye sight on my ranch hand 357. Maybe I’ll move it to the 454 casull and try that first.

Both are improving on the stock buckhorns and brass beads.

If I’m not satisfied, I might go with the vortex and hopefully I like it. A second hand pistol or scout scope seems to be hard to find.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:29 AM

I have several scout scopes. Leopold and Burris. 2.5, 2.75 and 2-7 power. My Burris 2.75x20 is my favorite. I got it when I bought my first Marlin 1895 SBL. In a fit of stupidity, I sold that rifle and the scope has spent most of the last 10 years on my Ruger gsr .308.

I've got the Burris 2-7 scouts on a Ruger gsr .223 and a Marlin 336 with an xs rail. The Leopold was on an 1894 in .357 for a couple of years but I switched to a red dot.

On my 1894 SBL (.44mag) I've been using an Aimpoint red dot - can't recall the model just now. It powers up when you shoulder the rifle and powers down after a couple of minutes if not moved. Has something like 10,000 hours of battery life, but because I dont trust batteries either, I change them, as well as the other 2 or 3 red dots I have, every year on my birthday.

I do that with my TV remotes and key fobs as well. Really dont trust batteries.

Colin