Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2022, 09:03 PM

Default A Few New Ice Vids

Well I've been MIA for a while... still fishing, but just not getting around to the editing much. Seems I'm getting back into it a bit. So we will see how it goes this season. I'll try to edit some new and old stuff. Its piled up over the last few years. The caliber of videos coming out now from Jay and Clayton kinda makes me wanna just stick to my day job, haha! I still like making them for my own memory lane trips. Crazy to think I've been posting on here for so many years and now seems life is half over.

Hope all is well with everyone and you all get plenty of favorable weather days with fish biting this ice season. I hope to spend some time on the hard water this next year in AB, see you out there in the new year.

Great Early ICE Brookie Action, some fat footballs. This lake recently came back from a winter kill.

https://youtu.be/cWoKPsDcU7A

Kokanee Fishing Stump Lake Near Merritt BC last Spring.

https://youtu.be/oa02kvMvjEE

Rainbow Trout on Heffley Lake Near Sun Peaks Resort and New Rod Review.

https://youtu.be/J-qYlccHHRw

I'm editing as we speak so more to come! Just had a couple very good days on the ice last week!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-21-2022, 12:05 AM

Great to see you posting again. I've been following on IG
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-21-2022, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Great to see you posting again. I've been following on IG
Thanks, yeah I put a bunch of effort into that for a couple years. Then apparently used a word an offensive word according to the BOT Admin and kind of took my posts off, Which I was just naming the artificial wall meant to hold back water. Apparently thats a no no because there is new references with the same name. I used it in the context of a flood though last year. Oh well guess I'm too old for the snowflake apps.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 12-21-2022, 07:39 AM

"Crazy to think I've been posting on here for so many years and now seems life is half over."

I remember you as a youngster before you went off to Cali. Every time I see your name I flash back to the vid of your brother flying 30 feet in the air behind the speedboat. Still can't believe he wasn't mangled.

Thanks for taking the time to share and I hope you and your family are happy and healthy.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Great to hear your back at it, keep'em coming.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2022, 08:23 AM

Good to see your post! Nice brookies for sure.

You might need an extension next year when fishing AB. Already 16-20 inches of ice out there on most lakes with well below -30 every night this week.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Well I've been MIA for a while... still fishing, but just not getting around to the editing much. Seems I'm getting back into it a bit. So we will see how it goes this season. I'll try to edit some new and old stuff. Its piled up over the last few years. The caliber of videos coming out now from Jay and Clayton kinda makes me wanna just stick to my day job, haha! I still like making them for my own memory lane trips. Crazy to think I've been posting on here for so many years and now seems life is half over.

Hope all is well with everyone and you all get plenty of favorable weather days with fish biting this ice season. I hope to spend some time on the hard water this next year in AB, see you out there in the new year.

Great Early ICE Brookie Action, some fat footballs. This lake recently came back from a winter kill.

https://youtu.be/cWoKPsDcU7A

Kokanee Fishing Stump Lake Near Merritt BC last Spring.

https://youtu.be/oa02kvMvjEE

Rainbow Trout on Heffley Lake Near Sun Peaks Resort and New Rod Review.

https://youtu.be/J-qYlccHHRw

I'm editing as we speak so more to come! Just had a couple very good days on the ice last week!

Used to fish stump lake in the summer with my uncle
Back inthe day the Kokanee we’re average ing 3 lbs
Lots of fun.
The video brought back good memories thanks for posting
Old 12-21-2022, 07:37 PM

Always game to watch videos on hardwater trout fishing.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good to see your post! Nice brookies for sure.

You might need an extension next year when fishing AB. Already 16-20 inches of ice out there on most lakes with well below -30 every night this week.
Thanks, yeah I have seen the forecast... looks intense this year. I wonder how much snow is up there. We just got dumped on the other night. Serious winter out here in the vancouver area... -12cm and 30 to 50 cm of snow fell in a few hours tuesday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Great to hear your back at it, keep'em coming.
Thanks will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
Used to fish stump lake in the summer with my uncle
Back inthe day the Kokanee we’re average ing 3 lbs
Lots of fun.
The video brought back good memories thanks for posting
Yeah it seems the summer fish are pretty big. The pics I've seen guys are getting those 3 to 4 pound kokanee last few summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Always game to watch videos on hardwater trout fishing.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Fool View Post
"Crazy to think I've been posting on here for so many years and now seems life is half over."

I remember you as a youngster before you went off to Cali. Every time I see your name I flash back to the vid of your brother flying 30 feet in the air behind the speedboat. Still can't believe he wasn't mangled.

Thanks for taking the time to share and I hope you and your family are happy and healthy.

Thanks yeah that was crazy. All the wife and kids are doing great. Besides the odd viral illness passing through the household... can't complain. Pretty fortunate. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2022, 08:28 AM

Good to see you are still out and about Doc. missed your posts here! Im glad the family is well too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-22-2022, 05:39 PM

Some nice brookies there!
Old 12-22-2022, 08:02 PM

Great videos as always.Its good to see ya posting again.You always had the best videos that were informative and fun to watch.I had a smile on watching when i saw you using the Marcum and the jawjacker as it brought back old memories.Best of Luck to you and the family this year and just maybe I might catch ya out on the ice this year.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great videos as always.Its good to see ya posting again.You always had the best videos that were informative and fun to watch.I had a smile on watching when i saw you using the Marcum and the jawjacker as it brought back old memories.Best of Luck to you and the family this year and just maybe I might catch ya out on the ice this year.
Thanks. Yeah still using the same stuff. It works.

https://youtu.be/S1C4EVetLrA

Here is a NEW VIDEO from a BC Lake that has some really GIANT BOWS AND BROOKIES... I got some nice fish, but it was a slow day for the brookies. Usually I get some nice ones. Only bows biting this day. Some nice ones going by underwater.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:18 PM

New Video
https://youtu.be/C6uWclMoqR0

Here's the description:
How To Ice Fishing for Big Stocked Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout on Mid Lake Island Structure. If you do not know the underwater structure look at the surrounding shoreline to gain clues about what might be below the ice. You want to find slower slopes, weedy flats and slow transition areas to deeper water. If you find these areas you will find typical feeding areas. It doesn't mean fish will always be there, but you are putting yourself in a high probability location. Then just drill enough holes so you can find the so called SPOT ON THE SPOT. This phenomenon is not always obvious as from one hole to the next there won't be much difference. For some reason fish come into the one hole 90% more than another. These are the areas you are searching for by bunching more grid like patterns over structure and hopping around from hole to hole with a lure and sonar.

Once in place drop a line and see what happens. Certain areas will have more of the small fish. They avoid the larger fish sometimes and eat smaller prey items. The big fish will feed heavily on scuds, beetles, damsels and caddis through the winter. They will also eat minnows if they are present in the lake. So give flashy spoons a try to see if they work.

So many options. Tungsten jigs are always a great choice since they size profile and feel is amazing for what most aquatic insect eating trout want.

The Rods used in the video is a PANFISH 36 and a DEAD 36, both excellent 36 inch rods for a variety of species.

If you have any other questions be sure to leave a comment below and I'll get right back to you.

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy my little fishing adventures.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:54 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Walleye

https://youtu.be/8PCOMxcTGPY

Ice Fishing for Walleye at Sunset and into the night on a Jigging Jaw Jacker. Fishing in Alberta on the centrally located Pigeon Lake. This lake is known to hold many walleye and if you can find a location that has some structure you will likely be into multiple fish as the sun sinks below the horizon.

While Walleye can be docile during the day and not actively feeding the fading light always seems to get them on the move. When they are moving to their feeding zones you can set up along drops and underwater humps to intercept them. Few things work better than a jig and minnow.

Especially for walleye that are not super aggressive the simple jig and minnow is a proven method of landing fish the most consistently. Putting a jig and minnow on a Jaw Jacker will also work. With the addition of the TOOTH WHEEL on the Jigging Jaw Jacker these fish could not resist. This one unit got so many hits this night it was surprising.

The stationary Jaw Jacker was set up with a 7mm tungsten and piece of minnow as well. It was hit but much less frequent than the Jigger. Check out Circle Tackle Poker Face Tungsten jigs if you want to see what I was using.

Ice Fishing Low Light is an excellent way to target walleye. Not the greatest for videoing especially when your light is going out, but an excellent way to encounter night feeding walleye.

If you have any questions about this video let me know in the comments below. I'll be quick to answer you. If not, just be patient or try another comment. Not all of them send me notifications.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
New Video

Here's the description:
How To Ice Fishing for Big Stocked Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout on Mid Lake Island Structure. If you do not know the underwater structure look at the surrounding shoreline to gain clues about what might be below the ice. You want to find slower slopes, weedy flats and slow transition areas to deeper water. If you find these areas you will find typical feeding areas. It doesn't mean fish will always be there, but you are putting yourself in a high probability location. Then just drill enough holes so you can find the so called SPOT ON THE SPOT. This phenomenon is not always obvious as from one hole to the next there won't be much difference. For some reason fish come into the one hole 90% more than another. These are the areas you are searching for by bunching more grid like patterns over structure and hopping around from hole to hole with a lure and sonar.

Once in place drop a line and see what happens. Certain areas will have more of the small fish. They avoid the larger fish sometimes and eat smaller prey items. The big fish will feed heavily on scuds, beetles, damsels and caddis through the winter. They will also eat minnows if they are present in the lake. So give flashy spoons a try to see if they work.

So many options. Tungsten jigs are always a great choice since they size profile and feel is amazing for what most aquatic insect eating trout want.

The Rods used in the video is a PANFISH 36 and a DEAD 36, both excellent 36 inch rods for a variety of species.

If you have any other questions be sure to leave a comment below and I'll get right back to you.

Great video! Good tip on the more gradual slopes on mid-lake structure. I usually start at the steeper drop offs on a new lake but you have given me more to consider
Old 01-30-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Great video! Good tip on the more gradual slopes on mid-lake structure. I usually start at the steeper drop offs on a new lake but you have given me more to consider
For Trout in BC I definitely do much better finding the flatter zones. I find thats where the biggest fish are. These are mainly scud and bug lakes though.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
New Video

Here's the description:

That spot must be popular. Guy moans about the half hour walk out to it though. lol.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 01-31-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/8PCOMxcTGPY

Ice Fishing for Walleye at Sunset and into the night on a Jigging Jaw Jacker. Fishing in Alberta on the centrally located Pigeon Lake. This lake is known to hold many walleye and if you can find a location that has some structure you will likely be into multiple fish as the sun sinks below the horizon.

While Walleye can be docile during the day and not actively feeding the fading light always seems to get them on the move. When they are moving to their feeding zones you can set up along drops and underwater humps to intercept them. Few things work better than a jig and minnow.

Especially for walleye that are not super aggressive the simple jig and minnow is a proven method of landing fish the most consistently. Putting a jig and minnow on a Jaw Jacker will also work. With the addition of the TOOTH WHEEL on the Jigging Jaw Jacker these fish could not resist. This one unit got so many hits this night it was surprising.

The stationary Jaw Jacker was set up with a 7mm tungsten and piece of minnow as well. It was hit but much less frequent than the Jigger. Check out Circle Tackle Poker Face Tungsten jigs if you want to see what I was using.

Ice Fishing Low Light is an excellent way to target walleye. Not the greatest for videoing especially when your light is going out, but an excellent way to encounter night feeding walleye.

If you have any questions about this video let me know in the comments below. I'll be quick to answer you. If not, just be patient or try another comment. Not all of them send me notifications.

Geez, what a great sunset and interesting full moon and sun before going down. Where the heck was I that day....Must of been drowning my sorrows after another failed Pigeon whitefish outing

Last year for the burbot trip I had the deadstick JJ and this year I'll try out the jigging JJ with the tooth wheel and see if it outfishes the deadstick.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Geez, what a great sunset and interesting full moon and sun before going down. Where the heck was I that day....Must of been drowning my sorrows after another failed Pigeon whitefish outing

Last year for the burbot trip I had the deadstick JJ and this year I'll try out the jigging JJ with the tooth wheel and see if it outfishes the deadstick.
Yeah I spent a whole day on pigeon for Whites. Fished 4 different locations and two Jaw Jackers. Only one tipped off and didn't even stick it at all... was slow. Talked to a cabin owner out there and it seemed kind of slow from what he was telling me as well.

Do you think that whites are disappearing? Dying off?

Old 02-02-2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah I spent a whole day on pigeon for Whites. Fished 4 different locations and two Jaw Jackers. Only one tipped off and didn't even stick it at all... was slow. Talked to a cabin owner out there and it seemed kind of slow from what he was telling me as well.

Do you think that whites are disappearing? Dying off?
Yes, while summer kills have been happening for a long time no doubt they take a toll. Cabin owners I've talked to say the last two years were worse that any they have seen before for kill off. The most recent netting results so far show half of what was seen just years before. And, the FIN netting shows the progression. Seems to add up.... or down in this case.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, while summer kills have been happening for a long time no doubt they take a toll. Cabin owners I've talked to say the last two years were worse that any they have seen before for kill off. The most recent netting results so far show half of what was seen just years before. And, the FIN netting shows the progression. Seems to add up.... or down in this case.
Thats too bad. Seems water quality must be suffering if the die offs are getting worse. Too much nutrients or something. Wish we could somehow get a better population of pike and perch in there again. I hear there were tons of perch in there back in the old days.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:19 PM

https://youtu.be/ag9f93ZX40Q

DEADSTICK PERCH with a JAW JACKER can be highly effective during certain types of winter ice fishing days for the Jumbo Perch. Today the biggest perch all took the 7 mm Tungsten Jig on the Jaw Jacker instead of taking the active presentation even though they were right beside eachother.

Where you are allowed two lines a dead stick can come in very handy beside your main jigging hole.

Use a more aggressive pattern in your Jigging hole like a spoon to attract the attention of panfish in the area. If they are not willing to take the more active bait then they will have option two.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/ag9f93ZX40Q

DEADSTICK PERCH with a JAW JACKER can be highly effective during certain types of winter ice fishing days for the Jumbo Perch. Today the biggest perch all took the 7 mm Tungsten Jig on the Jaw Jacker instead of taking the active presentation even though they were right beside eachother.

Where you are allowed two lines a dead stick can come in very handy beside your main jigging hole.

Use a more aggressive pattern in your Jigging hole like a spoon to attract the attention of panfish in the area. If they are not willing to take the more active bait then they will have option two.
Have to give this a whirl on the weekend. Headed to the Lakeland area and sometimes they can be finicky.

Always enjoy watching yours videos.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
New Video

Here's the description:

Thanks Fishing Dr., I have followed your video for over 5 years since I started ice fishing. Sometimes for one video I watched several times, you are the best fishman. I have a question for this, "You want to find slower slopes, weedy flats and slow transition areas to deeper water", does this apply to ice fishing white fish in Alberta ? Thanks
Old 02-07-2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzz View Post
Thanks Fishing Dr., I have followed your video for over 5 years since I started ice fishing. Sometimes for one video I watched several times, you are the best fishman. I have a question for this, "You want to find slower slopes, weedy flats and slow transition areas to deeper water", does this apply to ice fishing white fish in Alberta ? Thanks
Thanks for watching. Sorry that was in relation to fishing for rainbow trout and brook trout. It also works for yellow perch as well. I'm not sure if it works for whitefish, but I bet it does on some lakes as well. Since these are typical feeding zones for most types of fish.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:50 PM

Default Rainbow Trout on Heffley Lake

https://youtu.be/vFUJDqFkGA4

This one was a fun video Ice fishing on Heffley Lake up near Sun Peaks Resort just down the highway from Kamloops. Nice little lake that doesn't seem to get much ice fishing pressure and has some really nice fish in it.

Trying out some new plastics I received in this one. Like them because they look like a leech. Check them out in the underwater action at the end of the video.

Rainbow trout was the target species this day.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:47 AM

This was my first time heading to Montana to specifically spend a week of winter Fun. My brother welcomed us to visit his Lake House at Foys Lake that feels like an epicenter in the Flathead Valley surrounded by outdoor adventure possibilities. Even though we arrived the last few days of February and stayed into the beginning of March I was hopeful to fish Flathead Lake. Apparently the lake is usually open water this time of year and the ice had even broke up prior to my visit.

I was a bit disappointed but the week prior to my arrival a frigid cold snap with strong winds hit. The lake surface must have super cooled and the lakes bays rapidly froze within a few days. As I drove along the lake Sunday morning from the south end I could see that a lot of the lake was actually frozen. To say I was excited is an understatement! I really had dreamed of fishing this lake for many years even before my brother lived in the area. The timing seemed just right.

As I rounded a bend at the north of the lake the ice looked solid and freshly frozen with an area of glare shiny black ice. I pulled over after driving all night straight through and grabbed a Leatherman from the truck door. Ran out to the ice edge and could see it was pretty thick. I chipped away with the pliers and once I got three inches down, realized there was way more than enough ice for my liking.

Got back to the truck and had my wife message my brother that we were in luck and Flathead Lake was frozen solid! I headed to the lake house to unload our luggage and them wait for my brother. He picked me up and we headed out to the lake. It was a little bit of a struggle to first day as neither of us had ever ice fished the lake and we were the only people on the ice. So we headed out to an island and then started marking some fish. We eventually both landed small lake trout, but it was pretty slow. I continued to fish the lake each day till I started to figure out the fishing.

I headed out one very snowy morning looking for lake whitefish with small spoons and perch plastics. Turns out the big lake trout are also hunting the small perch minnows up on the weedy flats. This made for some pretty interesting fishing on light line and light rods.

Here are three videos plunking lake trout and whitefish... fishing the same thing in 20 feet of water. Quite fun!

https://youtu.be/Xr-p4A3QmPM

https://youtu.be/m0dVFwsxS8k

https://youtu.be/rByk7LTGSaU

Old 04-23-2023, 08:08 AM

Nice!! Big laker for sure in the first vid. I like the comment that the fish is taking so much time. lol!
Nice whites in there as well. Must be a lot of small perch minnows in that lake that they are so keyed in. Had to google the lake and man it is one clear and beautiful lake. Not an easy one to ice fish for sure given the weather. You might have to get the boat out there in open water.

Good vids, thanks!

Tags
british columbia, brook trout, ice fishing, kokanee, rainbow trout