Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 10:51 AM

Default Ion Alpha gen 3 electric ice auger.

I am looking into buying one of these .I sure like that they only weight 18 pounds for the 10 inch model . I got me interested is that it has a reverse switch like the other electric augers ,but does it really work so you don't have to scoop the holes clean . Can any one confirm how good that part works in keeping holes clean ?
Old 02-03-2023, 11:10 AM

The only one I have seen that cleans the hole in reverse is the K drill.

My SM will not clean the hole the reverse is me thinks mainly to get you unstuck.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I am looking into buying one of these .I sure like that they only weight 18 pounds for the 10 inch model . I got me interested is that it has a reverse switch like the other electric augers ,but does it really work so you don't have to scoop the holes clean . Can any one confirm how good that part works in keeping holes clean ?
We just bought one from Dale at sportsman's den. We are very happy with it. Drilled thru ice the thickness of the entire length of the auger in 13 seconds flat. It has the reverse on it but we use use it like our old gas auger. Reverse will help in case it gets stuck for some reason. Like I said, very very happy with it.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:49 PM

All of the ions I’ve had have cleaned out all the holes very well,minimal scooping and by that I mean maybe one grazing the surface. I kick all my shavings down the hole in my tent too,so I think they do a damn good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2023, 03:49 PM

I bought my Alpha on a boxing day sale. I thought nothing could out dig a Jiffy model 30, well this thing kills it. It digs so fast you can't even think about putting pressure on it, goes down to fast. Very happy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-03-2023, 05:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

My strike-master cleans holes perfect in reverse so can’t see why this model shouldn’t.
Literally everything gets kicked down the hole and I just run it for about 10 seconds and good to go.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2023, 07:13 AM

So whats better plastic or steal auger .
Old 02-04-2023, 07:20 AM

Which would you rather lug around, plastic or steel? And what’s it worth to you to have the lighter one? No point not getting the plastic flite IMO.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:41 AM

Good to here that ,as that's was the way i was leaning towards, but at the same time i read a review that the steal centre pin cutter stripped out of the plastic female tread holder . Something I don't need to fail if i am out on a lake some where .

Last edited by -JR-; 02-04-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
My strike-master cleans holes perfect in reverse so can’t see why this model shouldn’t.
Literally everything gets kicked down the hole and I just run it for about 10 seconds and good to go.

When you say you run for 10 sec is that with the auger still at the bottom of the hole, if I run mine as I am lifting out the entire top is full of ice
Old 02-04-2023, 03:12 PM

My new strikemaster lite cleans holes out to 98% in reverse. I love it. Best overall purchase I’ve made in a while. Can’t see why the ion wouldn’t do the same job.
Ps. So far I’m very impressed with the plastic flite. Been out in -30. Works like a charm.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
When you say you run for 10 sec is that with the auger still at the bottom of the hole, if I run mine as I am lifting out the entire top is full of ice

I run it at the bottom for a bit, then lift up so it grabs all the other snow etc then back to the bottom for the final push.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I bought my Alpha on a boxing day sale. I thought nothing could out dig a Jiffy model 30, well this thing kills it. It digs so fast you can't even think about putting pressure on it, goes down to fast. Very happy.
I agree. In fact I have to put some light up pressure on the auger when the ice is soft. Great augers.

k