Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
It is pretty difficult to keep epoxy out of the receiver if using the screws. It’s not a problem though. Simply wax the threads of the receiver ,and wipe a liberal amount of oil inside the receiver and chamber . Once the receiver screws are in a bit of epoxy will push up into the receiver , don’t touch it, let it cure for 3 or so hours until the epoxy gets rubbery then it can easily be broken out of the receiver
Or you can buy a spare set of action screws - then insert them into the bare action (no stock). Then cut the heads off of the screws with a dremel or grinder or hacksaw. When you mate your action and stock together during the bedding process, use surgical tubing or elastic band or a clamp of some sort to hold them together until the epoxy hardens.

Then separate the two, remove the "studs" or partial screws and reinstall using your original screws.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:13 PM

Not to start a new thread

I have devcon branded release agent that I used when I bedded a vanguard a couple years ago. I dug my devcon materials out today because I have another rifle I want to work on and the release agent is expired by a couple years. Question is, would you still use it? Not really wanting to glue this action and stock together.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Not to start a new thread

I have devcon branded release agent that I used when I bedded a vanguard a couple years ago. I dug my devcon materials out today because I have another rifle I want to work on and the release agent is expired by a couple years. Question is, would you still use it? Not really wanting to glue this action and stock together.
Furniture wax or shoe polish work as well. If is leaves a slick finish I would assume it is still good.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-07-2023, 07:33 PM

as long as the catalyst isn't dried out and clumpy you should be ok Ive used out of date devcon a few times and turned out fine.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:30 PM

Well, don't use old devcon if you really gotta struggle to mix it. I tried the older aluminum putty I had when I did my vanguard and it didn't work too well. The old expired release agent worked great A+ there. So I went about bought the steel putty because the aluminum putty was a fortune holy F.

At the beginning of covid I ordered a KS Arms barreled action in 6.5 needmore and bought a wildcat stock from Stuart. I had plans of having it all put together by a family friend that shoots F-class and builds his own rifles but never got around to arranging it so I figured I could do it myself and hey it's a fiberglass blank, any mistakes you can just sand and reapply epoxy or paint lol.

KS Arms Wolverine 2 Lug repeater and Stuarts KS Hunter lightweight with a couple QD sling studs because why not? And a used SA bottom metal.

The new devcon was as smooth as butter, really made me happy after I took my dremel and removed all the old aluminum crap that didn't work out. I was tired of fighting action screws too so off to Fastenal and bought some 1/4x28 TPI 2.5" long bolts, chopped the heads and cut a slot for a flat head. In they went, in the action went and on went the tape. I wedged a popsicle stick in the barrel channel to center the barrel. The pillars in the stock must not have been perfectly straight or the channel wasn't even. Nonetheless it's centered now.

Popped out great, next was cleaning it up with the dremel and files, drilling the screw holes out to remove any epoxy that made it's way down. I didn't take a picture of the final prepped stock but there wasn't a lot to do.

Installed the TT Canada Special trigger and fit it up to make sure I removed enough material.

Next it's paint time. The white is actually a marine epoxy to add some grip to the otherwise smooth wildcat stock. Take some business cards of a company that wronged you and cover the bedding and spray n pray.

And a final sponge paint like Manners. I might redo the sponge paint, I'll see how I feel but it's an easy enough task.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:38 PM

Nice job. That's a wildcat stock? Did you install the pillars?
Old 02-26-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Nice job. That's a wildcat stock? Did you install the pillars?
Yes it's a wildcat stock and no it came with the pillars installed.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yes it's a wildcat stock and no it came with the pillars installed.
Why did you have electrician tape wrapped around your action into your bedding just ahead of the action? Or am I seeing things?
Old 02-26-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Why did you have electrician tape wrapped around your action into your bedding just ahead of the action? Or am I seeing things?
There's tape around the first 1.5" of the barrel ahead of the action. Aside from that theres 4 passes of tape around the action to hold it in place.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
There's tape around the first 1.5" of the barrel ahead of the action. Aside from that theres 4 passes of tape around the action to hold it in place.
Yeah thats what I thought I saw. So why the tape around the barrel, imprinted into your bedding now?
Old 02-27-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah thats what I thought I saw. So why the tape around the barrel, imprinted into your bedding now?
I wish I had a proper reason to give you but I don't. It's just how I was shown and how my family friend bedded the rifle he built me and the rifles he built that put him on the Canadian F-Class team. If it shoots poorly I can always dremel it away but I haven't needed to do that on the gun he built me or the vanguard I bedded so far.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I wish I had a proper reason to give you but I don't. It's just how I was shown and how my family friend bedded the rifle he built me and the rifles he built that put him on the Canadian F-Class team. If it shoots poorly I can always dremel it away but I haven't needed to do that on the gun he built me or the vanguard I bedded so far.
I am not criticizing just for the record, just curiosity is all. I thought you may have had a pro tip to share.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I am not criticizing just for the record, just curiosity is all. I thought you may have had a pro tip to share.
I wish I remembered what he told me so I could share it tbh haha.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:23 PM

I bedded about 1" of barrel on mine and it shoots great. See post #79.

I have a few bedded by Henry Remple too and they vary from 1/8" to 1.25" ahead of the recoil lug. They are all .75 moa hunting rifles.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I bedded about 1" of barrel on mine and it shoots great. See post #79.

I have a few bedded by Henry Remple too and they vary from 1/8" to 1.25" ahead of the recoil lug. They are all .75 moa hunting rifles.
Im not sure if this is in response to me, or us about the bedding. I can see why you bed a piece of the barrel. But to use tape then removing the tape will create a gap, not a bed. Thats why I was asking. I don’t understand the reasoning.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Im not sure if this is in response to me, or us about the bedding. I can see why you bed a piece of the barrel. But to use tape then removing the tape will create a gap, not a bed. Thats why I was asking. I don’t understand the reasoning.
Old trick to keep barrel free floated in case bedding material squishes out ahead of the recoil lug, when the tape is removed the barrel is still freefloated, they went a little overboard with the bedding material, but more is better than not enough. Have freefloated a few by taping the barrel and bed it full length, you have a free floated barrel and perfect looking bedding if you leave the wrinkles out of the tape Anyways it doesn't have to be pretty to shoot and the bedding should be sound as long as everything was squared up right when it was put into bed, it should shoot fine
Old 02-28-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Ah I see your point. I looked at the pictures more closely and I see the tape created a gap in the bedding under the barrel.
Completely different strategy from what I did.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk