Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2023, 10:02 PM

Default Otter orloff be very careful.

As the title says. Be very careful.
Took the family out today.....not good. Drove the truck on from the north. No problem. Fishing was good 7 year old caught her first fish. Took the normal route around towards the trappers cabin. That's were it went sideways. There is 2 inches of snow followed by 2 inches of ice followed by 8 inches of water to the next level of ice. My truck was buried. Wife and kids were very good. We tried shoveling and spruce bows everything I could think of. Luckily wife got reception my dad got a flat as he hit the lake another 2 buddys came to help. Alot of steel cable and shackles and I was out. Kids said this is a core memory lol. Be careful out there. I have drove that spot for years this is a reminder that it can go sideways fast. Be careful I am sticking to sleds the rest of the year.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:15 AM

Depends on the lake. Fished one up in that area and it hardly had any snow. Great travel! Pigeon is close to extension level and no snow...like an inch. Crazy great travel and ice this year. No wonder with those early temps and latest cold snap. I've done more truck ice travel this year than I can ever remember.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
As the title says. Be very careful.
Took the family out today.....not good. Drove the truck on from the north. No problem. Fishing was good 7 year old caught her first fish. Took the normal route around towards the trappers cabin. That's were it went sideways. There is 2 inches of snow followed by 2 inches of ice followed by 8 inches of water to the next level of ice. My truck was buried. Wife and kids were very good. We tried shoveling and spruce bows everything I could think of. Luckily wife got reception my dad got a flat as he hit the lake another 2 buddys came to help. Alot of steel cable and shackles and I was out. Kids said this is a core memory lol. Be careful out there. I have drove that spot for years this is a reminder that it can go sideways fast. Be careful I am sticking to sleds the rest of the year.
Heavy snow causes lake stars. There will be lots of slush ice under snow after the storms. Heavy snow can make star holes up 3 feet or larger in diameter and can form anywheres.

Good reminder to be careful.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-27-2023, 09:37 AM

Glad you got out safe & sound. I have fished that lake but with sleds. Scary to be out of service and needing help on a backwoods 4x4 in lake. I recall a family went through the ice in their car many years back too.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:13 AM

Yes, I would also like to say glad you got out okay with the family. That was a long day for you no doubt.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:31 AM

This guy describes the ice star phenomena pretty well.

http://blog.kootenay-lake.ca/?p=29753
Old 02-27-2023, 07:36 PM

A few planks and a jack-all can be a life saver in the back country. On a couple occasions I've been in the glorious position of hiking back to my vehicle the next day with a jack-all and a chainsaw strapped to a pack frame.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:00 PM

Truck no boat, no float good

Drive on ice long enough, you will have a big problem. I had mine and it’s sled or walk now.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 PM

It could be something as simple as a layer of water trapped between the top crust and lower solid ice - when you drive over this, it can be very unnerving as your vehicle is breaking through the top crust through some water until it finally rests on the solid thicker ice below.

We went to Gull a few years ago, I drove my 1/2 ton on, no problem, but when a buddy who had a 1 ton came in after me, he was breaking through and was, of course, freaking out - his eyes were as big as plates. Luckily he didn't get too stuck, and had good tires, but I could see that this could have been bad if it was any deeper.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:28 PM

Yah I have a 8000 pound receiver winch and alot.of cable. I was to far in for anything to help other than another truck. I have brand new studded duratracs
I drilled a hole. And put a tree in it for my winch just tore the ice up then I realized how bad of a spot I was in.
Just a crap situation glad I have good buddys.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:53 AM

I know this thread is talking about Orloff, but Otter lake is in the title. Otter lake was called that for a very good reason, otters like it. That is because there are many springs and methane release spots on the lake, giving them lots of access. Its a good thing access to Otter is by sled only, because it would eat trucks constantly. I only sled it if it has been mighty cold for a while and I keep the speed up to 80 km or faster. I've never been on that lake where theres not open water in winter. No, I don't fish it either, as its got small pike and thats about it. It's a very pictures lake that is off the beaten track to go in summer. You need to drag a canoe of small boat in by quad, then the lake is yours and yours alone. It is also a good lake if you desire to see otters summer or winter, but they are still hit and miss, so no guarantees.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
I know this thread is talking about Orloff, but Otter lake is in the title. Otter lake was called that for a very good reason, otters like it. That is because there are many springs and methane release spots on the lake, giving them lots of access. Its a good thing access to Otter is by sled only, because it would eat trucks constantly. I only sled it if it has been mighty cold for a while and I keep the speed up to 80 km or faster. I've never been on that lake where theres not open water in winter. No, I don't fish it either, as its got small pike and thats about it. It's a very pictures lake that is off the beaten track to go in summer. You need to drag a canoe of small boat in by quad, then the lake is yours and yours alone. It is also a good lake if you desire to see otters summer or winter, but they are still hit and miss, so no guarantees.
Devils lake near Edmonton is the same way. Drill in most spots ( a dozen holes) to find 20" of solid ice everywhere, move over 20 feet to drill a tip up hole to find 5"-7" of ice ..... pretty sketchy in some places. Often that thin spot is surrounded by thick, clear ice all around it, nowhere near inflows or anything else that would be an obvious concern. Really unnerving to start drilling and have you punch through in 2 seconds. That place makes me pucker.