Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 10:15 PM

Default Totalscan or Active 3 in 1

I have two transducers I can choose from to run with a new HDS Carbon 9. A totalscan transducer or an active image 3 in 1. Which do you think is the better option of the two? I have been running an Elite9Ti with totalscan as my dash unit but am replacing it with the HDS Carbon 9 which came with the 3 in 1 and was wondering if there would be any advantage to swapping the ducers out. I could mount both too and hook them both into the graph to have both at my disposal.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:49 AM

Take the time and switch it up.
The imaging on the AI 3 in 1 is much crisper and cleaner

Youi won't be able to connect the TotalScan into port 1 on the Carbon as it's a 7 pin port and would also conflict with the AI if you could
Old 02-26-2023, 01:05 PM

The Active Imaging 3in1 is an HUGE improvement on the Totalscan.

The 2D returns and the SI/DI are significantly better, and it tracks bottom at speed much more effectively. It’s 100% worth the effort to connect the 3in1 to your Carbon.

Mounting them both isn’t a bad idea. Connect the 3in1 to the Carbon, but don’t connect both to it would be my advice. If you have a trolling motor with a built in transducer, I would connect that transducer to second sonar port on the Carbon so you see both. If you want to mount your Elite in the bow and still have a sonar reading, connect it to your Totalscan. You might need a transducer extension cable depending on how long that run is, but that would be worth it IMHO.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The Active Imaging 3in1 is an HUGE improvement on the Totalscan.

The 2D returns and the SI/DI are significantly better, and it tracks bottom at speed much more effectively. It’s 100% worth the effort to connect the 3in1 to your Carbon.

Mounting them both isn’t a bad idea. Connect the 3in1 to the Carbon, but don’t connect both to it would be my advice. If you have a trolling motor with a built in transducer, I would connect that transducer to second sonar port on the Carbon so you see both. If you want to mount your Elite in the bow and still have a sonar reading, connect it to your Totalscan. You might need a transducer extension cable depending on how long that run is, but that would be worth it IMHO.
I like these ideas! I have an Xi5 with sonar, bluetooth etc networked through a NMEA 2000. I'll definitely set it up that way. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I like these ideas! I have an Xi5 with sonar, bluetooth etc networked through a NMEA 2000. I'll definitely set it up that way. Thanks.
Connect your Elite and your Carbon to your NMEA2000 network. That will let you control your Xi5 from both (assuming you have the Gateway system), and they'll share waypoints and tracks as long as both units and the NMEA network are powered on.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:10 PM

I currently have them both connected to the TM through the gsteway but they cannot share waypoints etc as the Elite is only a Ti and not a Ti2. The Ti2 can share them. Radioworld has the Carbon 9 on sale currently $700 off. I may pick up another Carbon and run it on the bow and put the Ti9 on the rear for downrigging.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I currently have them both connected to the TM through the gsteway but they cannot share waypoints etc as the Elite is only a Ti and not a Ti2. The Ti2 can share them. Radioworld has the Carbon 9 on sale currently $700 off. I may pick up another Carbon and run it on the bow and put the Ti9 on the rear for downrigging.
If memory serves, as long as you can connect the units via NMEA2000, regardless of the unit or it's age, you *should* be able to share waypoints and tracks (but only waypoints and tracks) as long as both units are powered on when the waypoint/track is created. I believe you're right that they won't share the data retroactively.

A second Carbon would be the ticket, you'll be able to share everything between the bow and console units with no loss of features, and you'd be set for adding an Active Target down the road.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
If memory serves, as long as you can connect the units via NMEA2000, regardless of the unit or it's age, you *should* be able to share waypoints and tracks (but only waypoints and tracks) as long as both units are powered on when the waypoint/track is created. I believe you're right that they won't share the data retroactively.

A second Carbon would be the ticket, you'll be able to share everything between the bow and console units with no loss of features, and you'd be set for adding an Active Target down the road.
They have a Carbon 9 HDS/Active Target combo on sale for $2800 too. My trigger finger gets itchy every time I check it out. Sale ends today.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
They have a Carbon 9 HDS/Active Target combo on sale for $2800 too. My trigger finger gets itchy every time I check it out. Sale ends today.
That's a great deal
Old 02-28-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
That's a great deal
Yes it is.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:38 AM

Wish I had known about this deal on the HDS 9 Carbon before I bought a new Elite FS 9 last week.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Wish I had known about this deal on the HDS 9 Carbon before I bought a new Elite FS 9 last week.
Bought my Carbon 9HDS last summer on sale for $1199 at Cabela's though. Price at RW was the same and on sale the same week but Cabela's had free shipping.

I subscribe to emails from Cabela's & Radioworld. RW carries a ton of electronics and have some really good sales. I bought a pair of 53" Yolo-stiks last week on sale and a Noco 3 bank 30 Amp charger for $200 less than anywhere else and it wasn't even a sales price, it was their regular price.

I didn't pull the trigger on the Carbon/Active Target combo...I'll keep watching the email alerts though and if it comes up again well I may just be tempted next time around.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 03-01-2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:55 AM

Are the RW guys pretty knowledgable on the Lowrance systems?? I am wondering if i mount say an Elite or Carbon 7 on my snowmobile, can i simply plug in my SD card from my boat unit so that all my GPS points and contours come up on my snowmobile rig??

Also, the new Active Target 2 system looks much better than the originial, so i think i would hold out for that one to come out as the price is not much more than what they still want for the original version. Maybe the cost of the original version plummets when the 2 comes to stores this year...?

Might sell my Carbon 9 if anyone interested and upgrade if availability of the new units are in stock.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry View Post
Are the RW guys pretty knowledgable on the Lowrance systems?? I am wondering if i mount say an Elite or Carbon 7 on my snowmobile, can i simply plug in my SD card from my boat unit so that all my GPS points and contours come up on my snowmobile rig??
Absolutely. The only thing to be aware of is the sonar units aren't rated to be operated in temps below -15C, so be cautious in really cold temps.

I have a mount setup on the dash of my Ranger and I put my sonar unit on there while I'm traveling on the ice and then just move it to the tent when I'm setup. The only difference is the Ranger cab is heated.

Quote:
Also, the new Active Target 2 system looks much better than the originial, so i think i would hold out for that one to come out as the price is not much more than what they still want for the original version. Maybe the cost of the original version plummets when the 2 comes to stores this year...?
The Active Target 2 looks like it's definitely an improvement, but I don't know if it's a game changer compared to the original. If it's in the budget though, it's probably worth it.

I'd bet on there being some pretty good sales on the original Active Target when the AT2's start to hit the shelves this spring/summer.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if i mount say an Elite or Carbon 7 on my snowmobile, can i simply plug in my SD card from my boat unit so that all my GPS points and contours come up on my snowmobile rig??
You can, and I have done that between the Elite FS-7's on my sleds and the Carbons on my Ranger and Warrior when I was in a rush at the last minute. But what's even better is is to have a separate card for each unit and just use the app to update the waypoints. That way you will never arrive at a lake and realize you forgot to swap cards...ask me if that ever happens... You also can't swap cards if your contours come from C-Map's Social Map as the cards are locked to a single unit.

Quote:
Be careful about basing purchasing decisions on marketing materials. I upgraded from LiveScope to LiveScope Plus for this hardwater season, and wouldn't recommend it unless you have boat loads of cash to spare.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. The only thing to be aware of is the sonar units aren't rated to be operated in temps below -15C, so be cautious in really cold temps.
Lowrance's are the least cold weather tolerant units I have seen. My Carbon's in particular. They take forever to boot up in the cold. Carbon's struggle to record while viewing LiveTarget even in a heated shack FWIW.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Might sell my Carbon 9 if anyone interested and upgrade if availability of the new units are in stock.
Sure can. I pull the Elite 7Ti I run on the back of my boat for the person on the downriggers to navigate to my spots in winter. I have all waypoints saved on the unit and they overlay onto the maps. It's an awesome system.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:19 PM

Great info all. Thanks!!