Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2023, 01:10 PM

Default Pigeon lake whitefish

Are gill nets a common thing at Pigeon?
Old 03-02-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Are gill nets a common thing at Pigeon?
I would think there would be some First Nations netting every year. North of Mameo beach is reserve land that would entitle those First Nations lake residents to traditionally place nets at Pigeon.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-02-2023, 06:48 PM

They net every year from what I’ve seen over the years. Any indigenous has the right to do so. There is no more commercial netting on the lake.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:59 PM

Sad to say but they might as well net the last few out. There's no recruitment and hasn't been for years. Sheez done. Even the nets don't catch much I hear. Summer kills and predation have taken their toll. Wallies ate all the young ones. I bet those 8 lb whites are 15 years old. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 03-02-2023, 08:00 PM

Funny thing about fn netting. VERY few will set a net as the elders cannot get the youth to do it any more.

The youth don't know or don't want to clean fish. What is happening is people with Melissa status, usually new found status, are netting where they are allowed. Alot of First Nations groups are very protective of the lakes in their harvest area and do not tolerate Metis setting nets there.

As for Pigeon lake whites maybe more walleye should be removed to allow the whites to recover.

Drewski
Old 03-03-2023, 11:51 AM

You generally see first nations nets in the vicinity of the island. Metis nets that I've seen have been on the west end between the Prov Park and Fishers Home.