Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2023, 08:32 PM

Default Ion 8"

Bought an Ion 5 years back from Cabelas. Yesterday while cleaning out holes we fished the day before the ring on the flight snapped. This is the pot metal piece that holds the blades.

Went online to try and buy a replacement. Ion says it's discontinued and will not be available. They apologize and say search on line or at repair shops.

Not sure what the next step is. I don't want to purchase a new flight. Might try and rig something.

Anybody experience an Ion snapping like that? The auger wasn't abused and it was a simple cleanout
Old 03-04-2023, 09:17 PM

Same thing happened to me. Mine was a 10 inch. I had to buy new flighting. Note to self, dig new holes.
Mike
Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 PM

buy strikemaster and 0 problems.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
Old 03-05-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Lol that’s cute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2023, 11:12 AM

I shoulda grabbed the ice chisel and chipped the holes out. You'd think an auger that costs what an Ion does would be able to handle an task as routine as opening a hole.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
I shoulda grabbed the ice chisel and chipped the holes out. You'd think an auger that costs what an Ion does would be able to handle an task as routine as opening a hole.

I tried that once with the strikemaster 40V and man the torque when got stuck jammed my thumb real bad so no more reopening holes especially when they sat overnight.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-05-2023, 01:21 PM

All kidding aside, strikemaster actually warns against opening old holes. Before I bought my auger I actually used my buddies Ion and the rest is history. I purchased it the first month it was released and never looked back. Only draw back is super expensive blades that can't be resharpened correctly.

PS: I do own ion bags for my auger and batteries
Old 03-07-2023, 09:09 PM

Any Eskimo or Ion flight will work. Best deal is an Eskimo Pistol. Same blades and everything. You then can upgrade to a plastic flight to save weight and get ice off easier.

Facebook Market Place or Kijiji sometimes has used ones guys don’t want anymore or who upgraded to a 10”
Old 03-08-2023, 09:35 AM

Thanks. Good advice. If anybody has one for sale let me know
Old 03-26-2023, 07:02 PM

Went for the cheap fix and bought a Bass Pro Eze Drill flight, . $130 on sale at Cabelas. It's made for an electric drill and comes with the flange so it wont go down the hole. Take off the flange and it bolts up to the Ion head. It's light weight, nylon flighting, centre point blades and a metal ring, not pot metal like the Ion had.

I dunno maybe it wont stand up and I've only drilled a few 40" holes but so far it seems ok.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:41 AM

Call the fishing hole. I was at the south side, a few days ago and bought a new alpha. I mentioned the issue about those rings and they said they have been handing them out from time to time. They may still have some. BTW I have a four year old Ion X 8” if anyone is interested PM me

Old 03-27-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
All kidding aside, strikemaster actually warns against opening old holes. Before I bought my auger I actually used my buddies Ion and the rest is history. I purchased it the first month it was released and never looked back. Only draw back is super expensive blades that can't be resharpened correctly.

PS: I do own ion bags for my auger and batteries
I just had my Strike Master 24volt blades sharpened and they cut like new.

Hightech in Airdrie Brent 403 999 2355 best part 15 bucks and they cut like the new 100 set.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Went for the cheap fix and bought a Bass Pro Eze Drill flight, . $130 on sale at Cabelas. It's made for an electric drill and comes with the flange so it wont go down the hole. Take off the flange and it bolts up to the Ion head. It's light weight, nylon flighting, centre point blades and a metal ring, not pot metal like the Ion had.

I dunno maybe it wont stand up and I've only drilled a few 40" holes but so far it seems ok.
I bought the Cabelas EZE Drill flight a few years ago for $80 (for my ION). Looks the same except for the flange (mine had a handle). Going strong with it. I drill holes like there is no tomorrow Thousands of holed drilled with it.