Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-10-2023, 01:11 PM

Default If your PAL is expired (even if renewal is pending), you cannot transport firearms!

If your PAL is expired (even if renewal is pending), you cannot transport firearms!

I called CFO today after long months of waiting on my new PAL. Submitted my renewal application online in July and the rcmp site has said that my renewal application had been "reviewed and submitted for processing" (not a direct quote).

I have been checking this every 2 weeks.

The officer I spoke with today was very helpful and after I was on hold for several more minutes, she said that the renewal was approved and she had sent it for printing of the new card. It should arrive by mail in about 2 weeks.

I asked her for clarification of my legal status regarding my firearms and this pending renewal. She said that as I had submitted my renewal prior to the expiration of my current PAL, I am legal to possess my firearms, but not for transporting.

Even non-restricted firearms require a current dated PAL be produced if one is stopped by an officer and inspected.

I did not know this last part and was quite alarmed when she explained it. I wanted to pass this on for the benefit of others.

The CFO number is 1 800 314 4000 ext 9026. I was on hold for 31 min and then the rest of the call took another 5 or 6 min FYI.

Cheers
Vance
Old 03-10-2023, 03:12 PM

The 6 month amnesty during renewal was about an amnesty from prosecution under section 92 of the CCofC nothing else. You won’t be charged with illegal possession, but if found in possession of a firearm while currently un licensed, the cops will seize your firearm(s) until such time a valid licence is produced or a licensed individual takes possession of the firearm(s)

This is nothing new, if anyone cared to actually read the amnesty provision, or listen to people like Ian Runkle, or joined a gun Org and read the debriefs they put out.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-10-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:35 PM

It would help if the information on the RCMP's website was accurate.
A six-month extension period for the five-year firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence came into force by Order in Council on November 30, 2017.
An 'extension period' sure sounds like your license is still valid.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
It would help if the information on the RCMP's website was accurate.
A six-month extension period for the five-year firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence came into force by Order in Council on November 30, 2017.
An 'extension period' sure sounds like your license is still valid.

ARG
The site does mention restrictions , it just doesn't clearly state them. They seem to like keeping some things vague, and not as way to understand as it could be for firearms owners.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:42 PM

If a person applied for their pal in plenty of time before it expired and then it expired because the cops were sitting on their ass it would be awful chicken **** of them to charge someone who was trying to follow the law.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:54 PM

You cannot purchase firearms, ammunition nor be in possession of firearms outside of them being stored.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:41 PM

Mine didn't expire till July but I applied early because of what guys are saying about wait times. It came in a month.