Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper lip creek View Post
ya shoot em all, then we have no pics left, like these
shoot every coyote cougar, grizz,god damm ,,am gonna end it here..
good idea, but don't forget the black bears too!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Wild animals!!! Healthy wild animals! !!??? This can't be tolerated...open fire!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Remember when the first European settlers arrived here, there were lots of wild animals, buffalo, moose, elk to name a few, yet wolve population was not being controlled by the Natives
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat93 View Post
Remember when the first European settlers arrived here, there were lots of wild animals, buffalo, moose, elk to name a few, yet wolve population was not being controlled by the Natives
Can you substantiate this claim?

If you have not, Read Lewis and Clarke's expedition journals. This is one of the best sources of information regarding game populations and native human interactions. Natives did NOT live alongside predators, they were mortal competitors. There were also vast landscapes completely void of wildlife.

Modern research of recent wolf population density increases reveals that wolves do not regulate themselves to a balance with their prey,, rather they will literally eat themselves out of prey to a points of extirpation through starvation. Vast areas may experience long periods of time where there is no wildlife left to support even the smallest predators. ..

We can decide to let the wolf population decimate local prey sources to the point where there is nothing left for anyone or anything for perhaps decades, or we can kill a bunch of wolves and have wolves and prey for all.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Killing them is easier said than done. They are a lot smarter than a coyote. We put the bait out a week ago Monday. They never came to the bait until early last Saturday morning. Walking into the blind Saturday morning they were on the bait and either heard me coming in or got my wind. Have been sitting in the blind a lot and they have not been back. Some of us could take lessons from popcan or 357xp or speckle55.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Please keep us posted. Great pic's. Get's my heart racing. I wonder how many are out there. I wonder if you left clothing or something with your scent hanging around. They might not be so skittish. Get use to the smell without you there, eventually assume that the smell isn't harmful, kind of thought process. Then when you get a chance to get in before they come through again the won't be so alarmed. Just a thought, haven't tried it myself but I know dog's fairly well.

There is a reason they can survive so well and take over area's.

Funny enough we were watching a really good wolf documentary this morning over coffee. Then to see these photos.

Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:06 PM

To WalkingBuffalo, so you mean when the first settlers came here they saw vast lands without animals. Weird, maybe the animals just came out from the ground???????????? don't tell me the Europeans brought them.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Each wolf will eat between 12 and 19 deer a year. . You do the math???
Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
To WalkingBuffalo, so you mean when the first settlers came here they saw vast lands without animals. Weird, maybe the animals just came out from the ground???????????? don't tell me the Europeans brought them.
I think he is saying that there were areas that wolves hunted to the point that there was not enough food to feed them then they would die and that is the natural cycle of things. Where we as hunters don't want to see this happen because I would assume it would take some time for a huntable population to return.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 PM

If ya need someone else to come along and help crank a couple just shoot me a PM! lol. Id love to be able to shoot a wolf
Old 12-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
What he is saying is actual fact ! The wolves thrive when game is abundant, but once they kill everything, they also leave. The animals come back through time !!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Weird facts abound for those willing to learn....

As suggested, read Lewis and Clarke's journals. Many researchers have and were able to draw out revealing truths to the landscape and human/wildlife distribution at that time.

In the years between first contact with the spanish in the fourteenth century and the L&C expedition of the 1800s, it is believed that introduced diseases caused a massive die off of aboriginal people. Whole cities were wiped out.

This reduction of the Human population is what allowed for large increases in wildlife just before European exploration of the prairies.

Despite the reduced human population effecting an opportunities for prey species to flourish, predator species also flourished and impacted whole landscapes.

Evaluations from L&C's expedition journals show a landscape with areas dominated by grizzly bears, areas with buffalo and elk as far as one could see, and foothills that were so completely void of wildlife that not even a rabbit could be found. Luckily they had enough pack dogs to eat and survive.... ( another reason to allow pack dogs in Alberta).

This is a revealing research paper....
Wildlife Encounters by Lewis and Clark: A Spatial Analysis of Interactions between Native Americans and Wildlife

http://m.bioscience.oxfordjournals.o...53/10/994.full

And in regard to predator pits and extremely low wildlife populations, low human populations. ..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1120073620.htm

http://bio.classes.ucsc.edu/bio293/S...20Cons.Bio.pdf

Despite what many suggest about "balances" in nature and cycles..... the world simply does not work that way.

Sure, we can leave the predators alone as see what happens. History showns that if we choose this path, there is a strong potential that there will be no surplus wildlife available for human harvest....

Make your choice....

Need to add this one for the Wildcat. Anyone familiar with Native teachings knows that Yes, the animals came from the ground.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-08-2021, 12:40 PM

👍

Last edited by Wildcat93; 08-08-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Please delete
Old 08-08-2021, 12:41 PM

🐺

Last edited by Wildcat93; 08-08-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Please delete
Old 08-08-2021, 12:43 PM

Old 08-09-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
I was under the impression that they re-introduced them, could be wrong! I do know that wolves were re-introduced into Idaho, end result, the elk herds have been decimated.
My understanding, the wolves reintroduced into the western US were trapped and transplanted from Alberta. In the early 90's this was going on. I seem to recall the ones that they released into Yellowstone park were from Jasper.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:50 AM

We donated the surplus wolves from Hinton/Grand Cache area to dem Americans so they could eat All their elk in Montana and Idaho. Most were trapped by local trappers.
Wolves die off when they eat themselves out of available food. The game usually comes back in 20-30 years if you have time to wait.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:47 PM

I got lucky and shot one wolf while moose hunting in Oct 12 years ago. Ive shot four while targeting them specifically in Dec-Jan over the last six years. Make no mistake, the best time to hunt them is when it's minus 20 or colder and you have to be out where they are before legal light. That's pretty hard for most guys in fall hunting ,let alone in the coldest, darkest days of the year. The last one I shot in Jan 2020, I sat on the edge of a lake hoping they would come back to a deer that they had not cleaned up. I shot one lone black wolf right at last light after a 2 1/2 hours sit. I went to start my sled, and it was completely dead. Minus 26 and 14 k from my cabin. Lucky my cellphone worked and my son came and got me, or it would have been a long cold walk. This is just one of a few mishaps that happen while wolf hunting. It's cold, the success rate is really low (never got one last winter even after multiple days of hunting hard) and to get into wolf country unnoticed before dawn takes a lot of will power to get out of bed. Just a heads up. If you are going to wolf hunt get used to missing once in a while. They almost never stop moving and are almost always long shots. Every wolf hunter has a few "missed him" stories. Good luck to you fledgling wolf hunters, we need more of you.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Wildwoods is wondering why moose talker is musing in 3rd person?...
He used to do that a lot, got better but seemed to have slipped up
Old 08-22-2021, 10:45 AM

Are there specific permits or licenses required to shoot wolves? I've looked but can never find one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 02:09 PM

License only required for out of province folks to shoot wolves. Few years back you required a big game license(eg moose,elk) then you could shoot wolves, now no longer necessary.