Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2021, 05:20 PM

Default Downrigging for Cold Lake Trout

Sometimes trolling new areas is a great way to catch fish and auto chart some mapping to utilize later. We got on a pattern fairly quick up a little shallower on a feeding shelf loaded with bait. (This was filmed earlier in June before the heat and the laker tournament-Congrats Mr. Protz on taking it home!). Its always nice exploring some new areas and getting some mapping to put a pattern together with. During this afternoon we were pulling Northern King Mags at 2.5mph 5ft behind the ball for the most success. Hope you all enjoy and thanks for the continued support!

https://youtu.be/4BXWFqe0TXA
Old 06-28-2021, 08:24 PM

nice thanks for posting.
we just got back home from a week at cold lake , what a great fishery , lots of action and great average size.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:56 AM

You generally run that close to the ball without spooking fish ?
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
I dont run down riggers but run the pink lady's...two if both of us are in the boat for different depths with a willow leaf attached and right behind about 4' the apex trolling lure and they seem not to mind.....some even run a flasher off the ball and above it there set up but your right if you seem to be in finicky fish like Matt said don't be afraid to change it up....something as simple as the lure farther back.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2021, 01:34 PM

Would there be a reason to run that close to the ball? I usually let about 10-15' then hook it up.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
Would there be a reason to run that close to the ball? I usually let about 10-15' then hook it up.
I do kinda the same...5-8' behind the weight...only I use the "Fishy" shaped weights, cover them with white marine epoxy, and sprinkle em with silver, green and blue glitter...works freeking awesome! Kinda like a flasher I guess...I did it as a joke for a buddy who wanted me to pick him up a DR weight as I was in Edmonton and he is in the sticks...he laughed when he seen it..as did I...but that weekend he couldn't stop sending me pics and going on about how it made such a huge difference. So I did another one to try myself and well...now I have a bunch of the prettiest DR weights around!
Old 06-30-2021, 07:54 PM

Great video !

I used to run longer line out behind my ball years ago , until I noticed the lakers coming up and then go back down as seen in the sonar. I thought they were checking out the lure . But the foot print of the sonar is not big enough to see the lure. They were coming up to the ball !
I run it around 6 -8 ft and get double the hits now .

Weaver I see you are using your main motor,do you ever use your electric trolling motor with the down riggers ?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
nice thanks for posting.
we just got back home from a week at cold lake , what a great fishery , lots of action and great average size.
It sure is truly blessed to have this gem in our backyard.

Quote:
Its one of those things I did to change things up. I normally run a little longer leads around the 10-15ft range but never anything over 30ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
Just changing things up that day we had lots come check out the lure but not commit after that little change we had an awesome day! The joys of live sonar units.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I dont run down riggers but run the pink lady's...two if both of us are in the boat for different depths with a willow leaf attached and right behind about 4' the apex trolling lure and they seem not to mind.....some even run a flasher off the ball and above it there set up but your right if you seem to be in finicky fish like Matt said don't be afraid to change it up....something as simple as the lure farther back.
100% if your on fish there's a way to make them bite just need to experiment a bit. Sometimes the weirdest combinations pay off

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I do kinda the same...5-8' behind the weight...only I use the "Fishy" shaped weights, cover them with white marine epoxy, and sprinkle em with silver, green and blue glitter...works freeking awesome! Kinda like a flasher I guess...I did it as a joke for a buddy who wanted me to pick him up a DR weight as I was in Edmonton and he is in the sticks...he laughed when he seen it..as did I...but that weekend he couldn't stop sending me pics and going on about how it made such a huge difference. So I did another one to try myself and well...now I have a bunch of the prettiest DR weights around!
Thats awesome! Maybe there is something to it, maybe its just something they don't become accustomed too as well either way I won't be afraid to shorten my leads anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Great video !

I used to run longer line out behind my ball years ago , until I noticed the lakers coming up and then go back down as seen in the sonar. I thought they were checking out the lure . But the foot print of the sonar is not big enough to see the lure. They were coming up to the ball !
I run it around 6 -8 ft and get double the hits now .

Weaver I see you are using your main motor,do you ever use your electric trolling motor with the down riggers ?
My batteries weren't the best to start. My new lithium's should be here any day now endless trolling power!
Old 06-30-2021, 11:33 PM

Weavster always a pleasure to watch your fishing video's , you definitely know your stuff . Great boat setup ,get as much in as you can when life gives you the chance.

I went to set up this week and some dick head smashed my emergency trailer break release on my RV and smashed both rigger stands in my boat. Busted the bushing in my tiller arm . Made for lotsa driving to get parts, but ever dog has there day. Dropped some good coin for cams where they enter and exits,plus tons of pics of tire prints and they will get caught. I won't forfeit my freedom over an idiot. It is a 20 mile hike out ,so hope they bring plenty of water.

i normally have my trail cams out ,but grandson got real sick in the boat and had to bring him back home. Poor kid got to much heat and he isn't use to large rocking motion of the boat, he's fine now.

Keep all the video's coming and i do have to say down rigging is great at the right times. I also like to giving myself that 10 foot to 15 foot range in uneven area's.

AS always ALL THE BEST in your fishing adventures.

JD
Old 07-02-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I've been downrigging for almost 40 years and I have yet to see fish spooked by a downrigger ball. We used to run rapalas and crawler harnesses 4-6ft back and 2' above the ball on stacker releases and drag the ball on bottom to stir up the silt to smash walleye, perch and bass on Ni****ing and I've done the same in sandy areas for lakers. I generally start my spoons around 1 feet back of the ball and shorten up or lengthen back if necessary but I have yet to ever run a spoon further than 20' from the ball.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I've been downrigging for almost 40 years and I have yet to see fish spooked by a downrigger ball. We used to run rapalas and crawler harnesses 4-6ft back and 2' above the ball on stacker releases and drag the ball on bottom to stir up the silt to smash walleye, perch and bass on Ni****ing and I've done the same in sandy areas for lakers. I generally start my spoons around 1 feet back of the ball and shorten up or lengthen back if necessary but I have yet to ever run a spoon further than 20' from the ball.
I talked to a fella that the one cannon ball he will always bang the clay bottom at cold lake just to stir it up and then make passes once the bait moves in to eat whatever comes up....then the lakers move in.

Talked to a fella that has a hockey sock of balls and gear too as he is a diver....I guess you pay to play that style of fishing but man I know it works with perch when you stir up the bottom with your anchor.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-03-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I talked to a fella that the one cannon ball he will always bang the clay bottom at cold lake just to stir it up and then make passes once the bait moves in to eat whatever comes up....then the lakers move in.

Talked to a fella that has a hockey sock of balls and gear too as he is a diver....I guess you pay to play that style of fishing but man I know it works with perch when you stir up the bottom with your anchor.
There was a lake I fished when I lived in Ontario that had a set of 3 humps over about a 300 yard stretch, The top of the humps were 54' deep and the valleys between 64'-71'. We trolled lakers there, attached to the rear ring in the downrigger balls we attached a large(36"-48"?) Luhr Jensen Gang troll in 50/50 gold/silver. I would put a stacker release two feet above the ball on the cable and run an Apex Hot-Spot in dark green/silver on one side and pearlescent on the other set back about 4' behind the rear of the gang troll. The bottom was clay and I would set the depth of the balls to drag the top of the humps as we trolled over them. It was almost a given every pass that when the balls came over the deep side of the hump and were no longer dragging one of the rods would get hit. The fish ran an average of 4-7lbs and for a small lake it produced some good catch days and always coughed up a couple 20-30lb fish each season. I caught my PB there, a 35"x20" I measured and released after a quick photo. I had a replica made of it years later. I've never fished that style of fishing on Cold Lake as there is so many suspended fish no need to risk losing gear and I find my old standby spoons(Northern King) from my days pounding the great lakes for salmon and trout absolutely slay the lakers on Cold Lake. I have yet to get out this summer. My wife and I switched focus to trapshooting more so we've been busy chasing clay targets at trap shooting tournaments. In fact I dropped the boat off at the local dealer to sell. It just doesn't see enough use...40 hours on the main engine in 4 seasons and not much more on the pro-kicker.

Gotta love Cold Lake!! It's an amazing drive to fishery!!

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Weavster always a pleasure to watch your fishing video's , you definitely know your stuff . Great boat setup ,get as much in as you can when life gives you the chance.

I went to set up this week and some dick head smashed my emergency trailer break release on my RV and smashed both rigger stands in my boat. Busted the bushing in my tiller arm . Made for lotsa driving to get parts, but ever dog has there day. Dropped some good coin for cams where they enter and exits,plus tons of pics of tire prints and they will get caught. I won't forfeit my freedom over an idiot. It is a 20 mile hike out ,so hope they bring plenty of water.

i normally have my trail cams out ,but grandson got real sick in the boat and had to bring him back home. Poor kid got to much heat and he isn't use to large rocking motion of the boat, he's fine now.

Keep all the video's coming and i do have to say down rigging is great at the right times. I also like to giving myself that 10 foot to 15 foot range in uneven area's.

AS always ALL THE BEST in your fishing adventures.

JD
Ahh shoot theres always those people to try to discourage you. Stay strong and we'll see you on the water in no time!
Old 07-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
There was a lake I fished when I lived in Ontario that had a set of 3 humps over about a 300 yard stretch, The top of the humps were 54' deep and the valleys between 64'-71'. We trolled lakers there, attached to the rear ring in the downrigger balls we attached a large(36"-48"?) Luhr Jensen Gang troll in 50/50 gold/silver. I would put a stacker release two feet above the ball on the cable and run an Apex Hot-Spot in dark green/silver on one side and pearlescent on the other set back about 4' behind the rear of the gang troll. The bottom was clay and I would set the depth of the balls to drag the top of the humps as we trolled over them. It was almost a given every pass that when the balls came over the deep side of the hump and were no longer dragging one of the rods would get hit. The fish ran an average of 4-7lbs and for a small lake it produced some good catch days and always coughed up a couple 20-30lb fish each season. I caught my PB there, a 35"x20" I measured and released after a quick photo. I had a replica made of it years later. I've never fished that style of fishing on Cold Lake as there is so many suspended fish no need to risk losing gear and I find my old standby spoons(Northern King) from my days pounding the great lakes for salmon and trout absolutely slay the lakers on Cold Lake. I have yet to get out this summer. My wife and I switched focus to trapshooting more so we've been busy chasing clay targets at trap shooting tournaments. In fact I dropped the boat off at the local dealer to sell. It just doesn't see enough use...40 hours on the main engine in 4 seasons and not much more on the pro-kicker.

Gotta love Cold Lake!! It's an amazing drive to fishery!!
Sounds like some good days trolling! Its always fun hearing how everyone has their own proven go to styles that can be so much different from each other but very effective at times.