Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 05:34 PM

Default ATV hunting regulations

Hello everyone

I just purchased an ATV and hoping to take advantage of it during this upcoming hunting season.
Few questions as regulations out there are a bit confusing:
-What time is an ATV use allowed? Some are saying from hunting light, Others from 10am or 12noon?
-I have installed a Rino grip on the ATV to store my riffle while traveling. But I’m hearing can’t do that?
-how far away from your ATV you have to be to shoot an animal?

I really would like to understand ATV usage regs to avoid getting in trouble for been ignorant.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahmane007 View Post
Hello everyone

I just purchased an ATV and hoping to take advantage of it during this upcoming hunting season.
-What time is an ATV use allowed? Some are saying from hunting light, Others from 10am or 12noon?
-I have installed a Rino grip on the ATV to store my riffle while traveling. But I’m hearing can’t do that?

I really would like to understand ATV usage regs to avoid getting in trouble for been ignorant.

Thanks

There is lots of different answers to your questions, such as what WMU you are hunting, or the game you are hunting. Your best bet is to read the regulations front to back a few times until you understand everything.

Generally, in the 400 WMU’s you cannot ride on an ATV with a “weapon” from one hour before sunrise, until noon. The rest of the WMU’s there is no restriction.

Your Rino grip is fine to have as long as the firearm is unloaded.

You must be 50m away from a vehicle to discharge a “weapon” at an antelope.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:52 PM

you can use the atv at any time you want to , legal shooting hrs still apply , you can carry your unloaded rifle on the atv in what ever manner suits you , you need to be off the atv to shoot,antelope hunting requires that you are 50 yds or metres away from the vehicle
Old 08-08-2021, 05:59 PM

2nd post pretty much nailed it from my understanding. If you are using your ATV to ride to you hunting spot in the AM you must be there 1 hour before sunrise. After 12PM seems like you are free to roam to and from hunting spots. But best bet is always to consult the regs of course
Old 08-08-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
There is lots of different answers to your questions, such as what WMU you are hunting, or the game you are hunting. Your best bet is to read the regulations front to back a few times until you understand everything.

Generally, in the 400 WMU’s you cannot ride on an ATV with a “weapon” from one hour before sunrise, until noon. The rest of the WMU’s there is no restriction.

Your Rino grip is fine to have as long as the firearm is unloaded.

You must be 50m away from a vehicle to discharge a “weapon” at an antelope.

I normally hunt in 346, 342 and 515 for whitetail

Old 08-08-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
you can use the atv at any time you want to , legal shooting hrs still apply , you can carry your unloaded rifle on the atv in what ever manner suits you , you need to be off the atv to shoot,antelope hunting requires that you are 50 yds or metres away from the vehicle

Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfarmer View Post
2nd post pretty much nailed it from my understanding. If you are using your ATV to ride to you hunting spot in the AM you must be there 1 hour before sunrise. After 12PM seems like you are free to roam to and from hunting spots. But best bet is always to consult the regs of course

Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I normally hunt in 346, 342 and 515 for whitetail
You can use a quad at any time in those zones.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
You can use a quad at any time in those zones.

Great!
Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfarmer View Post
Only in certain wmu's I know they changed it last year in 521 you can now use your quad anytime
Old 08-09-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone

Thanks

Pick-up the hunting regulations and read them.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Yes just to ensure you understand what you can and can’t do.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-09-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
This^^^^^
And when you've read them cover to cover, read them again. Read them every year as things do change frequently. It doesn't take long and you'll be surprised what you learn!
Old 08-10-2021, 11:29 AM

The "read the regs" comments are great, and of course this goes without saying.

But I think a lot of people post questions like this because the regs are not the easiest to follow, especially for new guys. Dudes who have posted 20,000 times probably know them inside out and obviously are VERY into hunting. The likely know their stuff.

But for a lot of new guys, they come on here to get the advice from these frequent posters, so they can hear it from someone more experienced. I think that 2nd/3rd posts were good. It answered the questions in a way everyone can understand.

At the end of the day, when the questions are answered, many other will read the posts and its helpful info for all. Without people asking questions and looking for advice, what's the point of the forums?
Old 08-10-2021, 11:38 AM

I am always willing to help, but I don't post any more on questions where it is obvious the OP has not at least gone through the posted regulations and developed a good basic understanding. They need to show some initiative and work before i am interested in clarifying muddy areas. Yes the regs can be confusing but they are more than clear enough to answer the basic questions asked, except perhaps the distance from the quad when shooting.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
The "read the regs" comments are great, and of course this goes without saying.

But I think a lot of people post questions like this because the regs are not the easiest to follow, especially for new guys. Dudes who have posted 20,000 times probably know them inside out and obviously are VERY into hunting. The likely know their stuff.

But for a lot of new guys, they come on here to get the advice from these frequent posters, so they can hear it from someone more experienced. I think that 2nd/3rd posts were good. It answered the questions in a way everyone can understand.

At the end of the day, when the questions are answered, many other will read the posts and its helpful info for all. Without people asking questions and looking for advice, what's the point of the forums?
sorry if I came across that way but to the OP please read the regs and then ask if you need clarification etc....all good in the hood!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...