Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Jiffy rogue 80 volt

Has anyone tried one? I for one am regretting getting one.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazin16 View Post
Has anyone tried one? I for one am regretting getting one.
What issues are you having? I've been hearing rumors to avoid them but not the reasons why. I thought about buying one but after a few saying stay away from them I stuck with my SM 40V. I'm three seasons in with it w/o a glitch.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:27 AM

I've also heard of a ton of people not happy with them, but for unknown reasons. Can anyone shed some light on the issues?

Strikemaster 40V is going strong over here...
Old 02-19-2022, 08:47 AM

Just go read the reviews on them. That will tell you everything you need to know.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15301...th-2-batteries

Gbuss

YouTube https://youtube.com/channel/UCCODzzgYp2gHz16OTpj5wYQ
Old 02-19-2022, 12:26 PM

Specs was really good on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-19-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
Just go read the reviews on them. That will tell you everything you need to know.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15301...th-2-batteries

Gbuss
Hahaha! The only 5 star review is Alberta Roper Girl and we all know who she is ..Cabela's Pro Staffer and sponsored by companies for her fishing and hunting. She 5 stars alot of junk!! The rest of the reviews straight up call it junk....sounds like a good auger to stay clear of...
Old 02-19-2022, 12:52 PM

The auger mechanically is probably fine. Probably not much different than their 24 and 40V models.

But as someone who dabbles a lot with electronics and lithium batteries, I'm dumbfounded that they would try to wire up 80V in that compact battery size. Not surprise at all that the batteries are problematic. There's a reason that the large tool manufacturers are slowly getting into 40V systems and charging a much higher premium for it.

18/20/24V systems, very mature, tried, tested and true.

36/40V systems are very good, tested and will become the new norm for power intensive applications.

80V systems, in a compact, portable, relatively inexpensive format. With current lithium technology, stay away.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:01 PM

The forward and reverse switch is wired backwards..minor inconvenience. But the auger will stop after a few seconds of cutting and start up again. Sometimes after the triggers are depressed it takes upto 4 seconds for it to engage. Cut 8 holes on a fully charged battery and barely cut the 8th hole..seemed close to being dead. Also the plastic fighting shattered like glass.. still waiting to hear something back from them.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:32 PM

Yikes...
Old 02-19-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazin16 View Post
The forward and reverse switch is wired backwards..minor inconvenience. But the auger will stop after a few seconds of cutting and start up again. Sometimes after the triggers are depressed it takes upto 4 seconds for it to engage. Cut 8 holes on a fully charged battery and barely cut the 8th hole..seemed close to being dead. Also the plastic fighting shattered like glass.. still waiting to hear something back from them.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:03 PM

Online comparisons of Jiffy's E6 with the ION and StrikeMaster led me to stay away from their electric products. Then HuyFishin's test of Jiffy's Torch flite confirmed my general assumption. And now this.

If its yellow let it mellow...on the shelf at Cabelas.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:19 AM

Hey outdoorsman forum. I had every issue you see online with a jiffy rogue I was gifted for Christmas last year. Power head kept cutting out on torque, the batteries only lasted max 5-10 holes, and just a few weeks ago my plastic flight broke. Well I contacted jiffy on their website and they were committed to making it right. I ended up receiving a new auger and sent mine back. New one works flawless, and can’t say enough about the customer service i experienced. If your having issues contact them, the 5 year warranty really is the best on the market.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:08 PM

Jiffy has admitted to making a mess with there past Rogue 1 electric. This year they did a total renew and from what I have read on many forums they have hit the mark. Make sure everything you read or look at in a store is Rogue 2 or you are looking at a known dud. I have heard if you call Jiffy they are shipping out new ones to make it right so dont hesitate to make the call if you have the previous Rogue.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:40 PM

Pretty happy with my 40v ten inch strike master. Wore out a half dozen gassers in my lifetime and they just aren't built right anymore in my opinion. Gear box issues and weak in the recoil area. Bought the steel strikemaster, still pretty heavy but man does that thing eat thru the ice. Definitely some obvious weak points but shouldn't be throwing an 800 dollar auger in the back of the truck anyway. I gave myself a little talking to about looking after the strikemaster and sheez drilled a ton of holes.... so far so good.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:15 AM

I have one n love it

Cut 30 hole,s 24”ice

Cut double holes too

Nothing but praise from me

Love my Jiffy

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0EE92796-53A7-4A28-8030-BA2682744CFA.jpg (28.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I have one n love it

Cut 30 hole,s 24”ice

Cut double holes too

Nothing but praise from me

Love my Jiffy

David
what's the weight of those whites.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:38 PM

5#1oz

5#

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
what's the weight of those whites.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Hahaha! The only 5 star review is Alberta Roper Girl and we all know who she is ..Cabela's Pro Staffer and sponsored by companies for her fishing and hunting. She 5 stars alot of junk!! The rest of the reviews straight up call it junk....sounds like a good auger to stay clear of...
Funny how that works eh

So when you promote a pos ya gotta think how that makes you look.

Money memes people wonky sometimes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 AM

Absolute junk. Mine had all the issues and they said I just need to reprogram it to the new 2.0 settings. I had that done and still garbage. Poor build quality. Don't make the same mistake I did by buying one of these. Thankfully I now have the ion alpha and it is night and day between the 2 in both build quality and performance

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Pretty happy with my 40v ten inch strike master. Wore out a half dozen gassers in my lifetime and they just aren't built right anymore in my opinion. Gear box issues and weak in the recoil area. Bought the steel strikemaster, still pretty heavy but man does that thing eat thru the ice. Definitely some obvious weak points but shouldn't be throwing an 800 dollar auger in the back of the truck anyway. I gave myself a little talking to about looking after the strikemaster and sheez drilled a ton of holes.... so far so good.
I have had mine sharpened by carbide saw services in Calgary and can’t tell the difference between my new blades and sharpened ones.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up Rogue 2 interesting story

This past winter we decided to get into ice fishing. After checking all the auger options, we decided on the Jiffy. Then I started reading reviews. Once I studied up on the Jiffy, I discovered there was a Rogue 2. There are generally mostly 1 and some 2 stars and then there are mostly 5 and some 4 stars. Turns out the original Rogue was quickly put into production during COVID without very good quality control. The plastic on the auger was too hard and was known to shatter. The programming for the reversing switch was backwards and, what was first thought to be a battery problem causing the unit to cut out was, in fact, another programming problem. The Rogue 2 fixes all these issues plus gives some further improvements (in my opinion). Jiffy will send an upgraded auger for those with Rogue 1 and updated programming can be done at many locations. As for the updated units, head to your local outdoors store. The boxes from the rogue 1 have been opened (staple marks) and updates have been done. Then there is a decal over the cutters because it went from a single cutter to a double. Then there is another decal saying ‘2.0’. Explained that to one of the ‘major outdoor stores’ salesperson and he was a bit surprised. As for the 2.0, it is crazy on high speed and throws snow/slush wildly lol. The slower mode is for inside an ice shack so you don’t get snow and slush everywhere. The reversing switch is fantastic for pushing slush down. Oh, and I also forgot, it has an excellent LED lighting that is on the outside of the handles so that it actually is useful. On a side note, I am still trying to figure out how compatible the battery is with Greenworks, Kobalt, Powerworks and several other brands where it seems the batteries are similar if not identical.