Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Doe Bleat

So I bought one of those doe bleat cans, but it just seems too quiet, especially in the high winds this weekend. Have you guys had success with these? Also, does anyone have success just bleating with your own voice?

Thanks, I am a new hunter and appreciate any advice!
Old 10-30-2022, 06:23 PM

They do make some bleat cans biggar so it depends on which one you have. Calling in heavy winds Probly not the best idea for the sound won’t carry. You can manipulate the sound of the can with your hands just like a grunt tube im sure you tube can show you some techniques. Try when it’s calm out in a morning hunt and when there’s cloud cover and the sound will carry better. Don’t get frustrated just stay patient and good things will happen.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:46 PM

I carry two different bleat cans and they work great. Deer have better hearing then we do lol

I also carry a deer stopper or cmeer deer call which are also a bleat but not an estrus bleat

The bleat cans work great for whitetail during the rut but not very good right now

I have had poor results with the can calls with mule deer

The other calls I mentioned work all year for both species
Old 11-02-2022, 04:05 PM

They do work great. Brought in a few bucks over the years
Old 11-02-2022, 06:28 PM

Default use it

If you ever were close enough to deer to hear them talking it's barely audible . I killed 3 nice bucks over the years rut crazy. One was in hot pursuit of a not interested doe and blew past me at mach 2. I pulled out the can and gave it a couple calls and waited.Within 45 second the doe circled and just about ran me over followed by a nice 4x4 WT in hot pursuit .He got a 130gr .270 at 50 ft coming head on. The year prior I was in a tree stand and had an not interested doe again chased by a hot buck . They blew past and crashed into the 1 /4 section.You could hear the chase/hoofbeats .I used the can again and he circled flat out at 30 yards nose to the ground wearing a 286gr 9.3x62 .Game over. Another was a 180 class mulie called from hiding near his harem .That one was a Lohman deer call you blow. I have also rattled mulie bucks in on occasion.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:59 PM

I’ve been packing my 9.3x62 the last two days. Can’t wait to try it out. Had a bull moose today at 60 yards in the bush but the only shot he presented was a head shot and I’m a bit leery about trying that. Hopefully tomorrow I can find him again and seal the deal.

QUOTE=Pioneer2;4574234]If you ever were close enough to deer to hear them talking it's barely audible . I killed 3 nice bucks over the years rut crazy. One was in hot pursuit of a not interested doe and blew past me at mach 2. I pulled out the can and gave it a couple calls and waited.Within 45 second the doe circled and just about ran me over followed by a nice 4x4 WT in hot pursuit .He got a 130gr .270 at 50 ft coming head on. The year prior I was in a tree stand and had an not interested doe again chased by a hot buck . They blew past and crashed into the 1 /4 section.You could hear the chase/hoofbeats .I used the can again and he circled flat out at 30 yards nose to the ground wearing a 286gr 9.3x62 .Game over. Another was a 180 class mulie called from hiding near his harem .That one was a Lohman deer call you blow. I have also rattled mulie bucks in on occasion.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-02-2022, 07:40 PM

If it's too quiet, blow harder.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
If you ever were close enough to deer to hear them talking it's barely audible . I killed 3 nice bucks over the years rut crazy. One was in hot pursuit of a not interested doe and blew past me at mach 2. I pulled out the can and gave it a couple calls and waited.Within 45 second the doe circled and just about ran me over followed by a nice 4x4 WT in hot pursuit .He got a 130gr .270 at 50 ft coming head on. The year prior I was in a tree stand and had an not interested doe again chased by a hot buck . They blew past and crashed into the 1 /4 section.You could hear the chase/hoofbeats .I used the can again and he circled flat out at 30 yards nose to the ground wearing a 286gr 9.3x62 .Game over. Another was a 180 class mulie called from hiding near his harem .That one was a Lohman deer call you blow. I have also rattled mulie bucks in on occasion.
That makes me wonder if my grunt tube is too loud. I blow it as I walk through the bush sometimes to help me “blend in.” It’s a pretty loud sucker though.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If it's too quiet, blow harder.
It’s a can that you invert in order to produce the bleat sound. Not sure how I’d make it any louder. Maybe just shake the hell out of it
Old 11-02-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanslays View Post
It’s a can that you invert in order to produce the bleat sound. Not sure how I’d make it any louder. Maybe just shake the hell out of it
If it's the same as mine, the kids love running around the house like manics blowing on the thing. A hole that you cover with your finger and invert it? Try blowing through it, experiment a bit, speeds the ball up a bit, and is alot louder.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I carry two different bleat cans and they work great. Deer have better hearing then we do lol

I also carry a deer stopper or cmeer deer call which are also a bleat but not an estrus bleat
I have two sizes of the cans as well as the cmeer deer.

I think the deer chatter is more subtle than we realize.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Didn't know my French Bulldog could talk

Until yesterday when I was playing with a cow elk call in the living room. Hilarious