Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2022, 01:05 PM

Default Wmu 166 crown land?

I thought I had more time to hunt this year, however with a hip replacement surgery coming sooner than expected. i might only have a couple of weekends to get my mule and antlerless white draws in 166 this year.
my connections for the farm hunts are out of town so i can't hunt at my regular spots.

Where about if any is the crown land a guy can go and get a mule in that area. I have no problems working harder for my draws just need a point in the right direction if at all possible.

thanks
Old 11-03-2022, 01:18 PM

I’ll bite…

166 is a large unit with lots of lease land. The west side of the unit has a very large parcel of lease land, while the rest of the unit has a multitude of smaller (1-4 quarter section) parcels. I suspect the large parcel on the west side is hunted fairly hard, so I would recommend looking at smaller parcels for less hunting pressure.

The whole unit has productive deer habitat.

I would do an online search of leaseholder contacts, combined with some Google Earth scouting if your hunting time is limited. Make some phone calls to leaseholders and have at ‘er.

Alternatively, download iHunter and purchase the landowner and leaseholder overlay to make the process easier.

Good luck. Now you owe the forum some pictures from your (hopefully successful) hunt.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:14 PM

Wear orange in the big lease. I would get scoped by ppl in there almost every time I have hiked it.There is game scattered through out with foot access only. Busy place full of hunters; game is usually going full tilt if you see any. I do not hunt there anymore haha
Old 11-03-2022, 05:48 PM

The big Lease is foot access only. The Land Lessee will make you very aware of that, Fish n Feather as well as RCMP will be called.