Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2022, 09:04 PM

Default Game of Inches - Alberta Outdoorsmen Edition (2022)

A couple of weeks ago I was goal setting for the season, and had decided to try to catch a Manitoba Master Angler fish in each of ten species through the ice this year. But after watching Jay's and the Geeks' first Game of Inches videos, I thought this challenge might be more interesting. And then I thought why not put it out there for everyone else on the forum to shoot for as well.

The "rules" will be as simple as possible:
  • Fish wherever you fish at any time of the day per regulations. Fishing outside Alberta is fine, but maybe post the general area you caught your fish if it was outside Alberta (Northern B.C., Southern Saskatchewan, etc.) just so we can get a feel for what is possible in our home province.
  • Take a photo of your fish on a bump board or other measurement device (PM Mooseknuckle if you need a good bump board at a great price ) and keep of your own score in this thread. The rules are the same as in Game of Inches...mouth closed and the tail has to touch or cross a graduation for it to count at that length.
  • You're only competing against yourself. It's not a competition. There are no prizes. Keep it fun.

Obviously chasing a goal over an entire season isn't the same as over five days. Then again, these guys filmed in late March where five days can be as productive as all of January & February. I'm hoping to show that Alberta waters can produce a good score, even if some of my fish wind up coming from northern B.C & Saskatchewan. Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:26 PM

I figured I should update this from time to time to keep myself motivated. Already, there are some fish on the list I have no interest in chasing...that's probably a sign I need more work on them.

I also quickly came to realize measuring fish in a dark shack alone is a good recipe to lose my iPhone down a hole, so I'm doing my entries on an honor system. Some of my pictures don't show the exact length I claim, but they are close. I'm not a professional YouTuber and apparently I don't have enough cameras set up. Anyways, on with the list so far...
  • Burbot - 32"
  • Pike -
  • Lake Trout -
  • Other Trout - 24" Rainbow (caught in Sask.)
  • Panfish -
  • Walleye - 25"
  • Whitefish - 21"

Picture is actually a 24" walleye I caught right after the 25".

The whitefish was closer to 22" when I tipped the bottom of his tail up, but I know I'll catch a bigger one before long...I caught him in 20 minutes one afternoon and promptly took off walleye fishing. The burbot and walleye are from yesterday. I had at least a 27" walleye at the hole before the 25". I kept him hooked in the water while I tried to set up a camera...my bump board was still in the Ranger. He got off while I was trying to get organized. SMH... I also lost a fish (probably a walleye but could have been another burbot) bigger than the burbot pictured. He snapped the line on my dead stick but quick. Still can't complain though as it was a great afternoon.

Four species down one month into the season. The odd thing is I've been skunked more days than I've caught fish so far.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:18 PM

Well it looks like nobody else wants to join the game of inches Alberta for fun edition. Lol. You are well on your way!! Some great fish so far congrats.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:41 PM

well, I set my walter bar pretty high for the first of the season but Im pretty confident I can beat 29 inches hopefully by several inches I need to beat my PB of 33 1/4 inches. Hoping to hit a few decent burbs this winter and I really need to beat a 47 inch pike, got beat already by 2 ladies and thats just not right my best was only 46 inches. you can have the trout title its not very often I go for them any time of the year. the ones you got look pretty great, then again theres a small lake not far from here that has some pretty huge broods in it, a couple lakes actually. so you never know
most people dont know Newell has some huge trout too, just pretty sparse, Ive seen some on the camera.
maybe this will be the year a lot of us can break some personal bests I really hope so!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-12-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Well it looks like nobody else wants to join the game of inches Alberta for fun edition. Lol. You are well on your way!! Some great fish so far congrats.
Honestly, just ticking off every category is an accomplishment. You have to make a real effort to catch everything. Perch is going to do me in. I just can't get excited about chasing 12" fish no matter how hard I try to talk myself into it. Thank God for bycatches.

And, again, I just want to prove a point to all the naysayers that say fishing sucks in Alberta that it doesn't. My quick 'rithmetic tells me I should be able to tag 170' to 180" within three hours of home with only moderate luck.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 12-12-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:33 PM

i'll see what i can do, no promises though lol.

really though it will be neat to see what people can get and from what areas. hopefully some of the alberta youtubers that hang out here sometimes will participate, like huuy and litwin and others
Old 12-12-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
well, I set my walter bar pretty high for the first of the season but Im pretty confident I can beat 29 inches hopefully by several inches I need to beat my PB of 33 1/4 inches. Hoping to hit a few decent burbs this winter and I really need to beat a 47 inch pike, got beat already by 2 ladies and thats just not right my best was only 46 inches. you can have the trout title its not very often I go for them any time of the year. the ones you got look pretty great, then again theres a small lake not far from here that has some pretty huge broods in it, a couple lakes actually. so you never know
most people dont know Newell has some huge trout too, just pretty sparse, Ive seen some on the camera.
maybe this will be the year a lot of us can break some personal bests I really hope so!
You should hit up that trout lake. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the fight from a 6 pound trout. The other fish you're after sound awesome. I haven't fished for pike since hanging smelts under a tip up first became a thing in the 90's, so I'll just hope for something in the upper 30's (teen pounder I think?). And I'm not committing to a ten pound walleye. I'd have been happy with the 27" I lost Saturday.

Good luck to everyone that puts it out there. All in fun. A little pressure/motivation is a good thing....right?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Honestly, just ticking off every category is an accomplishment. You have to make a real effort to catch everything. Perch is going to do me in. I just can't get excited about chasing 12" fish no matter how hard I try to talk myself into it. Thank God for bycatches.

And, again, I just want to prove a point to all the naysayers that say fishing sucks in Alberta that it doesn't. My quick 'rithmetic tells me I should be able to tag 170' to 180" within three hours of home with only moderate luck.
I totally agree with you Alberta doesn’t have 100000 lakes but there’s some quality fish to be caught that is for sure.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
You should hit up that trout lake. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the fight from a 6 pound trout. The other fish you're after sound awesome. I haven't fished for pike since hanging smelts under a tip up first became a thing in the 90's, so I'll just hope for something in the upper 30's (teen pounder I think?). And I'm not committing to a ten pound walleye. I'd have been happy with the 27" I lost Saturday.

Good luck to everyone that puts it out there. All in fun. A little pressure/motivation is a good thing....right?

Your starting to get my interest in this game....this is why I don’t tournament fish.....I get tooooooo involved and forget about other things

I know something is up when I enter a building and the disgusting look on people face tells me I need a break and maybe a shower, wash clothes etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2022, 06:42 PM

pretty sure today I managed to catch the smallest pike of the season, out of 5 I dont think they added up to 10 pounds total! forgot to measure them I hope it doesnt cost me the race

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-13-2022, 06:47 PM

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Last edited by WayneChristie; 12-13-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: computer is drunk
Old 12-13-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your starting to get my interest in this game....this is why I don’t tournament fish.....I get tooooooo involved and forget about other things

I know something is up when I enter a building and the disgusting look on people face tells me I need a break and maybe a shower, wash clothes etc
I tell people I don't tournament fish anymore because I don't like getting up that early on weekends. Then I lie awake in bed in the winter at 4:30am waiting for the alarm to go off to hit the ice. Yes...I'm odd.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
pretty sure today I managed to catch the smallest pike of the season, out of 5 I dont think they added up to 10 pounds total! forgot to measure them I hope it doesnt cost me the race
I'm still trying to have as many days this season that I catch a fish as I've been skunked. I had an abysmal start to the season in November. Granted, I was trying some new species/lakes/tactics. Still hurt my ego but good.

Anyways, my point was I'm pretty sure you're still in the race. Whatever race it is.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:11 PM

Default Game of Inches - Alberta Outdoorsmen Edition (2022)

I’ll play this game. Small caveat- I’ll be lunker hunting with my little fishing buddy so will be restricted to day trips and no over nighters. For now. Unlike you I would kill for a 12 inch perch I only ever found one
trolling for walleye in a fluke bycatch like you mentioned haha.

Anyways here goes. Brook trout. Biggest was the length of the scoop about 17” I think I’ll have to get a bump board but this smile and grip and grin is all the trophy I need haha

IMG_7481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You may have a run for your money on the smallest pike caught and entered - I caught one last spring that would not break 4"

It proves pike aren't that smart - the lure was just as big as he was !!!
Old 12-14-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I figured I should update this from time to time to keep myself motivated. Already, there are some fish on the list I have no interest in chasing...that's probably a sign I need more work on them.

I also quickly came to realize measuring fish in a dark shack alone is a good recipe to lose my iPhone down a hole, so I'm doing my entries on an honor system. Some of my pictures don't show the exact length I claim, but they are close. I'm not a professional YouTuber and apparently I don't have enough cameras set up. Anyways, on with the list so far...
  • Burbot - 32"
  • Pike -
  • Lake Trout -
  • Panfish -
  • Walleye - 25"
  • Whitefish - 21"

Picture is actually a 24" walleye I caught right after the 25".

The whitefish was closer to 22" when I tipped the bottom of his tail up, but I know I'll catch a bigger one before long...I caught him in 20 minutes one afternoon and promptly took off walleye fishing. The burbot and walleye are from yesterday. I had at least a 27" walleye at the hole before the 25". I kept him hooked in the water while I tried to set: up a camera...my bump board was still in the Ranger. He got off while I was trying to get organized. SMH... I also lost a fish (probably a walleye but could have been another burbot) bigger than the burbot pictured. He snapped the line on my dead stick but quick. Still can't complain though as it was a great afternoon.

Four species down one month into the season. The odd thing is I've been skunked more days than I've caught fish so far.
Did you apply for a SK Master Angler Certificate for your 24" Rainbow? SK has a Master Angler program. A Rainbow needs to be 22"(tail pinched ) to qualify. You can do it through the phone app. I found out about it too late to put through a few fish last year but managed to get one Brookie(18" minimum) registered. I could have had 6 Brookies in the past two winters had I known and the same in Rainbows. I have it on my phone now! If you are going to fish SK as often as you do you should have it too.

https://swf.sk.ca/master-angler-program/
Old 12-14-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I'm still trying to have as many days this season that I catch a fish as I've been skunked. I had an abysmal start to the season in November. Granted, I was trying some new species/lakes/tactics. Still hurt my ego but good.

Anyways, my point was I'm pretty sure you're still in the race. Whatever race it is.
Im with you on the smell, my first 4 outings in November I had 3 ghost days and 1 day with 2 weak pike bites, at least I dont have to drive far to get skunked this past 3 trips Ive been doing great other than size wise, on pike, the walleye was a bonus and Im going to beat that one too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-14-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You may have a run for your money on the smallest pike caught and entered - I caught one last spring that would not break 4"

It proves pike aren't that smart - the lure was just as big as he was !!!
I had a 6 inch bait on and Im pretty sure the pike half its size wasnt trying to eat it, looked more like it was trying to get to know it better

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-29-2022, 07:31 PM

Baby steps...

Pretty sure I could have caught a perch too if I had made any effort...they were on the camera. I've actually caught some "decent" pike too. Never even thought to measure them.

• Burbot - 32"
  • Pike - I'm an idiot
  • Lake Trout -
  • Panfish - I'm lazy
  • Walleye - 26.75"
  • Whitefish - 21"
Old 01-07-2023, 08:20 PM

I've been fishing for pike specifically for the first time since the '90s recently. Didn't take long to catch one worth taking a picture of. 135.75" so far, with no laker yet.
  • Burbot - 32"
  • Pike - 32"
  • Lake Trout -
  • Panfish -
  • Walleye - 26.75"
  • Whitefish - 21"

Old 01-08-2023, 07:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hopefully when you get back out to Cold Lake you can add some more inches to your total.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-08-2023, 05:42 PM

I don't normally fish on Sunday, but it was so darn nice out I figured I'd try to bang out the perch on my home lake and get it over with...I don't want to waste time in March chasing them. It was nice to run them down with the AquaVu and ActiveTarget and not even need a toque. I must have looked goofy though with my Apex jacket tossed over my head so I could see the Micro Revolution.

Honestly, I still don't see what the big deal is with these things...

• Burbot - 32"
  • Pike - 32"
  • Lake Trout -
  • Other Trout - 24" Rainbow (Caught in Sask.)
  • Panfish - 12.25" Perch
  • Walleye - 26.75"
  • Whitefish - 21"

148" with no lake trout. 180" should be a no brainer...it will start getting tough at 190" though.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hopefully when you get back out to Cold Lake you can add some more inches to your total.
I saved the best for last.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:24 AM

some beauty fish already off to a good start!
Old 01-09-2023, 12:45 PM

That monster perch needs to go on a wall Dean!

Good catches so far, and I agree on perch. Why?

Good luck on the laker, I hope you get one that barely fits through the hole in the ice!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2023, 01:40 PM

LOL! Great update. That is a nice perch. I like how you look at them - great perspective.

That said, you will likely get some PMs about the particular fish. Likely from anglers with supposed kids or grand kids that would really like to catch a perch. Of course not wanting specific spots or "honey holes" but any information would be great...

Looking forwards to see how you do on the Laker.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Good luck on the laker, I hope you get one that barely fits through the hole in the ice!
It's tough with the 10" auger, but I think I have that covered.

P.S. When are we going fishing? The weather looks good for a while yet.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 01-09-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
LOL! Great update. That is a nice perch. I like how you look at them - great perspective.

That said, you will likely get some PMs about the particular fish. Likely from anglers with supposed kids or grand kids that would really like to catch a perch. Of course not wanting specific spots or "honey holes" but any information would be great...

Looking forwards to see how you do on the Laker.
There are so many Alberta lakes with stunted walleyes where the size distribution bell curve truncates somewhere in the 40 to 50cm age class. If you want to "perch fish" with the kids, I suggest one of those lakes. They're crawling with hungry half-starved small walleye. My home lake is one of them. I could have went a half mile to an sunken island and pounded 30 small walleye in the same afternoon. Just like fishing for perch and easier to get on.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
It's tough with the 10" auger, but I think I have that covered.

P.S. When are we going fishing? The weather looks good for a while yet.
You still have my number? I can go pretty much any time. If you don't mind an Ice Rookie along as extra baggage!

But then you have to come for some pistol shooting with me at Bullets & Broadheads, and even better if your son can come too!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-09-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You still have my number? I can go pretty much any time. If you don't mind an Ice Rookie along as extra baggage!

But then you have to come for some pistol shooting with me at Bullets & Broadheads, and even better if your son can come too!
I don't. Mandy might. But just shoot me a PM with your number.

The boy's in dental school in Saskatoon for the foreseeable future. I may want to shoot *at* him by the time the final tally comes in...