Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-13-2022, 11:24 AM

Default Couple Reloading questions

I have a ccouple odd packages of large rifle primers I have a good supply of CCi200 which are part of my load for my 30-06. How much will different primers affect my load? I have one package of Remington 9 1/2 large and one Winchester large.
The other question is, if my load is developed here at 2200 feet altitude and I am hunting in an area where the altitude is 7-800 feet will this affect accuracy etc...
Thanks for the help
Old 11-13-2022, 11:40 AM

If you change any components (primers) it is in your best interests to back off your load and start over with load development.

This is why so many of the more seasoned reloaders buy in bulk, to keep the lot to lot variations consistent. Even your pet brand of primer can change over the course of let’s say 20+ years of manufacture.

As for the altitude change, I’m inclined to say your ballistics may change, a bit, but the only way any of this can be proven is by shooting your load in each situation and making the assessments based on the observed results.

Please see my sig line…….

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 11-13-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 AM

This is why a chronograph is your best friend. You can tell immediately if a change is making a difference. I’m lazy. So I likely wouldn’t change a thing, go shoot the change over a chronograph and adjust from there if necessary. Unless you are riding some line already you are probably OK with this approach.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:16 PM

I have lots of cci200 just wanted to know if I would have to work up another load due to a different primer. I will keep them just in case I run out of cci and cant find them again.
Primers was the only thing I was smart about stocking up on when I started reloading a few years ago.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
This is why a chronograph is your best friend. You can tell immediately if a change is making a difference. I’m lazy. So I likely wouldn’t change a thing, go shoot the change over a chronograph and adjust from there if necessary. Unless you are riding some line already you are probably OK with this approach.
Exactly.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I would follow this. I have on occasion switched back and forth between cci and winchester and have seen no issue with pressure or velocity spikes....these are not red line loads though.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:59 PM

Accuracy - yes but no. Yes in that altitude, temperature and humidity do affect flight time and therefore POI

No in that you won’t see a measurable difference under 400 yards, on a deer, shot from a field position

You can use 500 yards and 5000’ feet of elevation change as a general rule, that’s about the point I would pull out the phone app and enter environmentals. On shorter shots, the bullet isn’t in the air long enough to be more than .2 MOA off.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:51 PM

After I work up a load with a given primer, I will test the exact same load with different primers, Especially in my varmint loads. Sometimes there are improvements, sometimes not. IF my load was on the ragged edge of MAX pressure I would back down about 10% or so. I find most mid level loads perform best in most of my rifles, so I am seldom if ever, ride on the "ragged edge". But by default I would follow whatever the reloading manual say's
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.