Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Transfer of Restricted Firearms in an Estate?

Hi All,

Looking for someone with some insight or a similar experience?

Posting this from my father's account. He was an active member here for quite a few years and deferred to this forum quite often.

My father passed away a year ago before the new restricted firearms laws existed/took effect, in his will he stated that his gun collection be transferred to my brother and I. There are restricted firearms in the estate, my brother and I both have our restricted licenses.

Time and life got in the way of things and we didn't do anything with the firearms. Now here we are a year later and able to deal with it all.

I have emailed the CFO of Alberta, and was directed to the RCMP, they gave me a non answer. (I asked specifically about transferring now that the rules have changed....)

HTML Code:
Thank you for your email seeking clarification regarding restricted firearms and executorship.

The program administration including service delivery and technical information for the firearms regime (e.g., classification, firearm specifications, Firearms Reference Table [FRT], licensing, handling, or transactions such as buying, trading, selling, or inheritance) is under the responsibility of the Canadian Firearms Program.

If you need to determine the classification of a firearm, please see the public Firearms Reference Table here: RCMP – Firearms Reference Table. If you have difficulties accessing the table, please contact Web-FRT-TRAF@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

For all other technical or service delivery-related inquiries, please contact the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000, or by email at cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.
I emailed the address they listed in their response but haven't heard back yet, and would be surprised if I get a response.

So what happens to these firearms when someone dies? Are they in limbo? Do my brother and I own them, and just have to put some paperwork together to transfer them?

Can we even transfer them now that the laws have changed, but the person died before the laws existed?

I'm going to try digging into the written laws, but reading that is a bit of a brain bender.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:27 AM

If you didn't initiate the transfer before Oct 20th, you can not posses them legally..

But lets say those guns go missing before anyone looking at the paper work realizes it???