Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2023, 05:36 PM

Default Johnson River Camp Sask? Anyone been there?

Our fishing group has committed to going to Johnson River Camp Sask this year for our annual fishing trip. We are scheduled for the second week in June.

Just wondering if anyone has been recently and your experience? What the road in was like, difficulty in fishing etc. We are usually out to just have some good times for a week but hooking into fish makes it more interesting for sure!!

Thanks
Old 04-11-2023, 08:36 AM

Can't comment specifically on this camp but I can say the road can be good and it can be quite bad so allow plenty of travel time/fuel once you are North of LaRonge.
I travel 2 to 3 times a year as far as Missinipe and don't imagine the road gets any better as you go North.
Generally speaking the fishing should be pretty good at that time of year. Our camp is about 160 km SSE of there and spring is always good fishing.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2023, 09:09 PM

Love the list of items to bring on their website. A spare tire or two! Sounds like a sweet camp!
Old 04-17-2023, 09:00 AM

The road to Johnson River Camp was gravel and potholes. I brought a spare tire just in case, but it was not needed. Fill up your tank in La Ronge before leaving. There was a gas station just past Johnson River Camp for us to to re-fuel. We were there 2 years ago, so check ahead of time to make sure it is still in operation. It is a basic camp for your fishing needs. Electricity off at approx. 10-11pm. Internet only for necessary use. Fishing was good. Owners are good people. If you have done a camp before, you will enjoy this one. Scenery is amazing.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:12 PM

Thanks guys. We have heard the road can get a little sketchy, so we figured that.

Looking forward to it
Old 04-24-2023, 10:05 AM

Been up and past there many times. Been driving it since '96. The road can be ok at best and really bad if it's raining. 80km/hr down to as low as 15km/hr. I'm on my 3rd trailer axle. Something breaks almost every trip. Sometimes it feels like you can push it. You start slowly increasing your speed, and that's when it gets you! There's a lot of sandy soft spots that are almost invisible until you slam one. But, you could hit it just right and it's no problem. We'll being going up the second week of June as well. Have a great trip!