Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-04-2023, 02:02 PM

Just texted my reloading buddy and he says he got the clear powder coat at KLM tools in Edmonton
Old 02-13-2023, 09:36 PM

Where do most people get lead from when casting?
Old 02-14-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post
Where do most people get lead from when casting?
I used to pick up pails from the tire shops, cost about $25 each. Now it is more important to pick through them and separate the alloy wheel weights, lead, and zinc and god knows what else.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:13 PM

Lead is getting steep, spot price isn't bad, around $1.29/lb last I looked. However, I have heard of $3-$5/lb from Western Metal etc. Many places have a minimum order. Some scrap yards may sell back to the public, some don't. Wheel weights are getting scarcer. Saw an act to ban lead wheelweights in Canada in the govt gazette, currently in process.

Check out scrapmonster.ca for current spot price on lead, and on raw wheelweights, averaged across Canada.

Mining berms at the range is productive, just make sure it's good to go with the club, and that you put it back better than you found it.

Last batch I got, the cut was 60% steel, plastic, and zinc to 40% lead. And that's actually a good ratio, compared to some I've sorted. I'm paying $25 per 5 gallon pail, the steel isn't worth much, and the zinc cut is small. It has been getting skinnier over the last 15 years I have been hunting wheelweights. Hand sorting and melting take some time, but it's worthwhile while we can still get them. I'd like to lay in a supply before then. If anyone in central Ab has raw wheelweights to sell, please drop me a PM.