Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 10:17 AM

Default adventures in fishin

I decided to go chase walter yesterday, it was cloudy and the wind was up and down but otherwise a nice day. fishing was slow after the first hammer I caught before I could set the rod in the holder when I started, but eventually I caught 2 or 3 skinny hammers and ended off with 7 nice walters, pretty much 3 to 4 pounds, no giants yet. Awesome leaving the ice, since I had to walk on, somehow even with a good headlamp I got turned and got lost, walked shorelines for almost 2 hours and couldnt find where I walked on. Finally I was starting to worry about the snow we might/might not get and called for backup. Met 2 nice RCMP who managed to find their way to my truck and guided me back in the right direction. I usually leave an old headlamp on at the truck so I can see it, but it wouldnt work yesterday. oh well, I hate boring so it was definitely an interesting day seems the older I get the more adventures I have! Not sure what was wrong with the Im assuming coyote that was hanging around me on the lake, it sounded more like a fox screeching but it was way too big. finally left when I questioned its geneline quite loudly when it started getting very close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230124_133826.jpg (56.5 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_153808.jpg (62.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_164701.jpg (40.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_171008.jpg (34.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_174245.jpg (50.6 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_174514.jpg (32.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20230124_180935.jpg (42.9 KB, 179 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2023, 10:27 AM

Cool story, and great looking Walters.

I remember one night walking off of Pigeon at the PP, it was black as the inside of a cow. Head lamp went out and my phone had died on the lake. Walked right into the back of my truck. Head down pulling the sled of gear. Ouch.

BW
Old 01-25-2023, 10:46 AM

I know the feeling. Same thing happened to me at Crawling Valley. Walked on dragging a big heavy slead and after trying for a burbot I left in the dark. Big mistake.

the head lantern in my back pack was dead. Walked for over an hour for what shoud have been a 20 minute hike when I realized I was back where I started.

Dug around in my pack and there was the spare batt's how dumb ass i felt.

Put the lamp on and walked back to my truck. Not a nice situation to be in and i am glad you were able to get off the ice safely Wayne
Old 01-25-2023, 11:06 AM

at least Ive never denied being a dumbazz now that Im a senior I have a built in excuse at least! Im going to rig a light I can leave right on the ice at shore Im not going through that again!
one of the eyes I caught yesterday. all released into cold water, not hot grease but thats life!
https://youtu.be/7YDvgJZTsNQ

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM

Default second video

I got lots of pike vids yesterday and a few eyes too, this eye didnt want a moving bait so it took a while before it hit my jig after I just let it sit. adding music to it so it may be a bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS9FqZz-j5g

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-25-2023, 03:28 PM

That second walleye looks like a classic February fish. I've noticed them starting to transition to preferring motionless baits up here too the past couple of weeks. Even the slightest jigging and many will bolt from as far away as six feet on the LiveScope. The JJ whooped me last Sunday.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:33 PM

First off nice fish! Thats quiet the story nothing worse than that feeling when you first realize you don't quiet know where you are but glad you made it back safe to fish another day!
Old 01-26-2023, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That was me a few weeks ago, went out and the fog rolled in, could not see forty yards, lost the shoreline etc and the sky blended in with the snow on the ice, left thinking I know where I am and after an hour putting around on the skidoo I decided to turn on the gps....I was a few miles out to lunch
Got corrected and off I went...it happens to all of us.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Not sure what type of cell phone you got but google maps helps, drop a pin on your truck location and you can find it easily as long as your phone is charged etc
Also built in compass too.
So many things these phones can do nowadays that we don’t even use to there potential.
I got an i-Boating app that is accurate too when out on the water for my location.
I carry a compass and gps/kit to hunker down if need be with me so kinda overkill but I hate that feeling of getting turned around.
Funny sometimes the simplest outing can turn bad quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-26-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not sure what type of cell phone you got but google maps helps, drop a pin on your truck location and you can find it easily as long as your phone is charged etc
This is what we have to do when fishing the inland ocean that is Lake Winnipeg. It's VERY easy to get lost once you veer off the trail...
Old 01-26-2023, 01:40 PM

I got lost coming off Mcgregor years back down the West side of the boat launch and I was driving, not walking..LOL. Scary **** when it's pitch dark and lost on the ice. Creepy as hell. Glad you are ok Wayne as I know how it feels.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:52 PM

Happened to me on Elkwater once. Frustrating to hear the traffic on the highway about 3/4 of a mile away but with no way to see, not a clue where the sound was coming from. Fog does weird stuff, even to sound.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2023, 09:19 AM

I’ve used my I-hunter app a few times to find my way home in the fog while hunting and fishing. Great tool
Old 01-31-2023, 10:15 AM

I have great respect for the fog. Have been offshore on Vancouver Island, and raced back into site of land so that we had a reference. Did not take the handheld GPS, which was a mistake that day as it would have done backtracks if I had it on.

Drewski
Old 01-31-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I got lost coming off Mcgregor years back down the West side of the boat launch and I was driving, not walking..LOL. Scary **** when it's pitch dark and lost on the ice. Creepy as hell. Glad you are ok Wayne as I know how it feels.
Yup.
Especially first ice where the ice is just thick enough to support your wheels. Later in the season I feel a lot safer.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:58 PM

Duck hunting Cowoki Lake from a kayak, you're so low to the water that the shore-line is just an unbroken wall of cat-tails! On a few occasions I didn't get off the water until it was double-dark, and only pushing my truck's key-fob alarm with flashing lights and honking horn got me headed in the right direction!