Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2023, 03:44 PM

Default Leupold Scope Boone & Crockett W/CDS

Anyone have this combo , if so how do you like it . BOONE & CROCKETT is a HOLD POINT RETICLE . CDS - works with your hand load data . I do hand loads so maybe consider a CDS . Video on CDS setup& usage is impressive -Dial Range , Hold & shoot . Not sure if both options are required on the scope . (SOME HISTORY) - Currently have a { VX3 3.5 x 10 x 40 mm } W/Boone & Crockett Reticle . Works well with my Leupold RX 1000 TBR Range Finder. Bought in Jan.2010 , warranty work in JUly 2010. Not tracking to adjustments. Repaired - Taken lots of game since . NOW SAME ISSUE . New custom barrel on rifle a Yr . ago so its not the rifle. ON The Fence , if not repaired then its dead weight in the cabinet but was told from a Leupold Rep. either I can request repair or request a total New Replacement in my letter, which I like the idea. Just to mention any money difference to let me know . Depends on stock & what Leupold can do . Looked @ Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15 x 44 CDS-ZL2 side focus BOONE & CROCKETT. Like the scope BUT has ( adjustable Parallax ). Some research indicated it's not necessary for the hunting distance I shoot . AVERAGE 300 YD or less. There's only been two over that over the Yr's. 1 @ 357 YD's & 1 @ 428 YD's on whitetail bucks . I practise out to 400 YD's limiting myself to that for a long shot .Using Remington 300 Win. Mag W/180 Gr. Nosler Accubonds , so I know the rifle will do the job . I've done shot grouping to 500 Yd's just to see the capability of the rifle & me as the shooter.If I shot over the 500 Yd mark or further for target shooting, competitive etc. or a Longer Range Hunter then a Adjustable Parallax would be useful . ANY INFO or SUGGESTIONS on WHY BOTH OPTION'S would be beneficial .
Old 02-05-2023, 04:05 PM

Im not sure I’d spend the money on a scope with the CDS&the Boone and crocket reticle I’d prob just go with one or the other. I’ve got one leupold scope with the CDS and while it seems to work good and be repeatable on a pure hunting rifle I’m not 100% sold on the twisting of turrets being a good/reliable idea maybe on a higher end scope where one was Uber competent in shooting in various conditions etc, for the average big game Hunter I don’t think it’s necessary. I purchased a Swarovski Z3 with the BRH reticle before the hunting season in 2022 and I much prefer that set up for a hunting rifle less chance of error and twisting dials etc similar idea to the B&C reticle. It has a very good program available where you can input any hand load or factory ammo data and obtain holdovers for longer dist shots. I played around with it at the range and it was very effective allowing me to make hits at distances further than I have any buiz taking a shot at a game animal. My .02 anyhow, I know there are lots on the forum with a lot more experience using these type set ups then I do and can prob offer some advice also.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:20 PM

I went with the CDS only , gonna sight in so basically zeroed at 300 yards and will have the turret etched for further distances , which I will rarely shoot , but feel comfortable doing . So no need for me to duplicate the two technologies
Old 02-05-2023, 04:25 PM

I like the B and C type reticle. I sight mine on at 200 yds, 2nd crosshair at 300, third at 400. If further shots are needed practice turning the power down to get you on at extended distance.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:34 PM

I have Leupold scopes with the B&C reticle and others with the CDS...
I prefer the B&C. With a 300 yd zero (+3.2"@100 for my 340 Wby) mine work to 600 yards, plus/minus perhaps 2" elevation all the way.

For a hunting purposes I really think both features on one scope would be quite confusing.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:18 PM
Banned

Parallax adjustment is always nice to have
It eliminates a potential point of impact shift
They usually have it standard on anything above 12 power

If you have both it can be nice. If your in a hurry you can use the hash marks
If you have time you can dial it in for precision
Old 02-05-2023, 07:37 PM

I prefer the B&C hold over reticle to the CDS-ZL for hunting applications.