Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2023, 07:12 PM

Default Charging LiFePO4 batteries

Just about to pull the trigger on lithium batteries for my boat. I'm going to need a new charger as my current charger won't charge LiFePO4.
My two batteries will be connected in series for a 24 volt trolling motor.

Looking at a two bank 12v 10a charger like this one from Noco. It charges LiFePO4 as well as lead acid and AGM. Priced around $300

Other option is a 24v, 8a charger like this one from Victron. Works with AGM and LiFePO4 only. Priced just over $200.

Both chargers would be able to charge the new lithiums overnight. Wondering what you guys are using for your lithiums.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:34 PM

I have a 10ah and 54ah Dakota lithium batteries. I use the standard chargers that came with the units, 3a and 10a respectively. I always charge the day before I go out and I find they work well. Obviously boat batteries will be a lot larger.
I am looking to get a 100ah lithium for open water as an upgrade to my 54ah. I plan on using the same 10a charger unless the 100ah comes with one. I am not going Dakota for the 100ah, going with Alberta Lithium.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:56 PM

Default chargers

I run two 100ah AB lithiums in my smokercraft. I installed a permenant Noco 5X2 charger. The charger is capable of charger a multitude of types of batteries but does take longer than id like to charge. Sometimes overnight does not do it. I for sure would move to the 10x2 if I had to do it again
Old 02-26-2023, 12:58 PM

I use the NOCO 10 X 2 for my 100 ah lithiums and it seems to work well. I tried to get by with a charger without a lithium charge setting and it didn't go well. One battery shut down while I was in northern Sask and I had to buy another battery for that trip.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:27 AM

Appreciate Deschambault sharing his experience with lower voltage chargers.

I'm not very happy about having a very expensive onboard charger that is now going to see very limited use. Contacted the manufacturer to ask about getting the charger modified, but they said that it was not possible for my model.

Leaning towards a 24v charger.

Looking forward to the lithiums. By removing the onboard charger and swapping the lead acids for lithiums the boats gonna shed about 70lb in the bow.