Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2023, 09:00 AM

Maybe head to Belize or Costa Rica for some giant Tarpon.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:57 AM

If money wasn't a problem, like a 10 plus million dollar lottery win I'd take 3 AO fishermen, and we'd plan a trip across Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Northern BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. All expenses paid. I'd charter a Twin Otter float plane outfitted with all the gear we'd need to stay on the lakes or rivers. Start in June and fish until the end of September. A new day with a new destination.

BW
Old 03-04-2023, 11:53 AM

If money wasn't a concern and I was looking for big pike, I'd be going to Europe.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:59 PM

Rent a float plane for a week and go explore Northern Saskatchewan
Old 03-04-2023, 07:13 PM

If you are looking for a true wilderness experience with trophy, Lake Trout, Brook Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Whitefish head to Lake Nipigon.
The Nipigon River system will also have the above and Chinook Salmon and Ranbow Trout.

Over the years we have boated, 50lb lake trout, 9 lb Brook Trout, 16.5lb Walleye, 28 lb Northern, 11lb Ranbow, 26lb Salmon and 9lb Whitefish while running the lake from ice out to late fall.
There are no crowds, plenty of crown land to camp on either on the shoreline or on the islands. The lake is uncharted and can blow up quickly.
In the past we have gone weeks without seeing another boat in some seasons. Recently with BC regulation changes for coastal salmon fishing we see more American anglers from the west coast and the upper midwest.
Lake Nipigon and the Nipigon River system is true gem for those looking to experience wilderness and trophy class fishing that you can drive to. Hard to beat a shore lunch on the 6th great lake as the sun sinks over the spruce after a great day of fishing.

#2 for me is the Sutton River, another world class Brook Trout fishery that offers a getting away from it all experience in the north.

Having fished across SK, MB and ON these are still #1 and 2 for my lists for fresh water fishing.

Last edited by outofbounds; 03-04-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
If you are looking for a true wilderness experience with trophy, Lake Trout, Brook Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Whitefish head to Lake Nipigon.
The Nipigon River system will also have the above and Chinook Salmon and Ranbow Trout.

Over the years we have boated, 50lb lake trout, 9 lb Brook Trout, 16.5lb Walleye, 28 lb Northern, 11lb Ranbow, 26lb Salmon and 9lb Whitefish while running the lake from ice out to late fall.
There are no crowds, plenty of crown land to camp on either on the shoreline or on the islands. The lake is uncharted and can blow up quickly.
In the past we have gone weeks without seeing another boat in some seasons. Recently with BC regulation changes for coastal salmon fishing we see more American anglers from the west coast and the upper midwest.
Lake Nipigon and the Nipigon River system is true gem for those looking to experience wilderness and trophy class fishing that you can drive to. Hard to beat a shore lunch on the 6th great lake as the sun sinks over the spruce after a great day of fishing.

#2 for me is the Sutton River, another world class Brook Trout fishery that offers a getting away from it all experience in the north.

Having fished across SK, MB and ON these are still #1 and 2 for my lists for fresh water fishing.
Doesn't Nipigon also have great perch fishing?
Old 03-05-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Doesn't Nipigon also have great perch fishing?
Nipigon Bay of Lake Superior does yes.
Lake Nipigon also offers good Perch opportunities as well, such as Wabinosh Bay and Ombabika Bay. Flipping jigs will get you all the Perch you would want. Steamboat Bay off Lake Helen is another Perch hot spot both open water and hard water season.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:26 PM

If Money was of no Concern.

Lake of the woods Pike Muskie

Lake Manitou on Manitoulin Island Lake Trout

UK Pike

Great bear lake Lake trout

Bay of Quinte. Walleye

Kawartha lakes ,Trent Severn water way. Musky , bass

The possibilities are endless
Old 03-05-2023, 09:28 PM

Wollaston or Reindeer Lake are good options you can drive to. Many more fly in options out there to go after big pike in the spring. A guided trip, where a guide knows where the ice out post spawn pike are laying as the water warms up is the ticket. This time of year the big hens are stacked up, but if you don't know where to look, it can be tough fishing otherwise. A guide is the key IMO. If you find them, then it's one trophy after another. A trip of a lifetime.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:32 PM

Cree Lake ( we are headed there March 20 for ice fishing. I would go there or Tazin Lake or Wollaston if you want higher class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
If money wasn’t a concern. Where would you book for big pike? Big lakers as an add on would be a bonus.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:45 PM

If money was no longer a concern in any way, shape or form, I would spend the rest of my days exploring the area around Kenora. I'm about to turn 43, and could spend the rest of my life fishing every day and probably never discover every fishable body of water in "Sunset Country".........
Old 03-06-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
If money was no longer a concern in any way, shape or form, I would spend the rest of my days exploring the area around Kenora. I'm about to turn 43, and could spend the rest of my life fishing every day and probably never discover every fishable body of water in "Sunset Country".........
Agree! Sunset Country is a fisherman’s dream.