Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 10:50 AM

Default Jiffy Auger Running Rough

So I have had my Jiffy 30 for 3-4 years 10" model.

It has run flawlessly. I have been using premixed fuel 50:1, Aspen or Husqvarna fuel.

I don't use it enough to mix my own. I have in the past with premium and 2 cycle oil but found I never used enough and would have left over old fuel and didn't want to chance using it even with stabilizer.

I have drained even the good premixed stuff at the end of every season.

This year I happen to buy some TruFuel from Can Tire. It has been running like crap. Bogs out under load. Hard starting etc.

I drained the fuel and added some Husqvarna now. Tried it again just once and its still bogging, shutting down. I am going to try it again today but not at the lake to see how it runs.

If I add some sea foam will this do the trick to clean the carb or will/should I take the carb off and clean it with the sea foam. I haven't had to adjust the carb settings ever and don't really want to mess with them as it was working like a dream for the last number of years.

Advice please. I am relatively handy so would like to fix it myself.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2023, 10:58 AM

Yep - go electric. 5 years running and will never go back

Otherwise, agree try seafoam and run it through first messing with the carb.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:58 AM

You seem to really take good care of your fuel system so I'd try a few things first before carb cleaning. I'd check the plug and wire brush it and also check the fuel line for a crack. A brand new plug is pretty cheap as well.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:30 AM

sounds like you need to adjust air/fuel mixture on your carb
Old 02-20-2023, 12:19 PM

Default Jiffy Mixtures

Jiffy recommends 40-1 not 50-1 mixture. I'm not sure that would contribute
to your rough running issue.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:10 PM

If this is the Model 30, it is wise to dump the tank out at the end of the season, and run the engine until it stalls so there is no gas sitting in it.

This year I have had to change plugs on alot of equipment, so there may be something going on with the gas we buy or the oil we are mixing.

I have had trouble with the Aspen Fuel pre mix, and even though it is supposed to be 94 Octane, there is something wrong with it that the Jiffy tecumseh engine does not like.

Switched back to premium and mixed with amsoil 2 stroke and everything two stroke is working as intended.

Drewski
Old 02-20-2023, 02:48 PM

Anything above a 91 or 92 octane for premium gas, probably has ethanol in it. You are doing the right thing by running premium gas, but try to stay clear of any of the other grades that have ethanol in them. I used to have the Jiffy Stealth STX 10", and when it ran like your's sounds like its running, I would adjust the air/fuel mixture like splake0 mentioned. On my Stealth, it was a little red valve that you would adjust clockwise or counterclockwise with a flat head screw driver. After I would adjust that, it ran like a top all the time. Sounds like your fuel system maintenance is above and beyond, so I would suspect that this little valve needs an adjustment...
Old 02-20-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
sounds like you need to adjust air/fuel mixture on your carb
This. Look up how to adjust your high/low idle jets and you should be able to get it smoothed out. Too, you want to set the carb up at about the tempature you anticipate using it at... if you set it up in a warm garage it will likely run rough in -15, and the high idle generally needs to be fine tuned under load for best results. Jiffy's tend to run pretty lean, just compare the fuel consumption to an Eskimo from the same era... so I try to ere towards setting them a bit rich if I can.

Running a little seafoam through might also help, if you are running 50:1 I'd be carefull how much Seafoam you add though, as you are already on the lean side for that engine. Depending on the year they reccomended anywhere from 24:1 - 40:1 for them.

Worst case get a carb kit. IIRC you can do a pretty thorough clean out on that carb without even taking it off the motor, I recomend having a carb kit on hand as they are cheap and there is some risk of of tearing a diaphram.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-20-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:03 PM

Ooops, just read the time frame on that Jiffy... its probably a newer Chinese engine then? All my experience/ advice is for the older Tecumseh driven ones.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Ooops, just read the time frame on that Jiffy... its probably a newer Chinese engine then? All my experience/ advice is for the older Tecumseh driven ones.
Same with my advice haha. I believe the auger I had was the Tecumseh 3.0. Unless it is a similar engine still...
Old 02-21-2023, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I suggest you take all the advice to get it up and running, sell it and buy an electric one.

They will be going on sale shortly as the season is ending.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2023, 06:43 AM

First thing I would do is put a new plug in it. If it still doesn’t work check the air filter and spark arrestor.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I have only had it about 4 years. I got it from a friend and it was probably about 5-6 years old at that time. It still looks like new.

Getting a new spark plug today.

I could get it running but then after I got it warmed up it just wouldn't idle like it used to and then it would stop. I couldn't get it to start again. I left it for a couple hours and same thing. Run, warm up and then stop.

I swear I was recommended to use the 50:1 but yes after checking it says 40:1. I will dump the fuel I got and get the 40:1.

Ok so after I go through that then I will see what happens.

Thanks for the adjustments. Seems easy enough. I will tinker some more.

I do agree with a few of you. I have this auger and another older 8" (brand fails me at this time) I could sell the two and probably get an electric. It may happen.

Thanks everyone. Any other tips are welcome.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:34 AM

Check your spark arrestor and see if it is plugged, very common on the two strokes.. Take a torch and burn off the crap if this is the case.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
I have only had it about 4 years. I got it from a friend and it was probably about 5-6 years old at that time. It still looks like new.

I could get it running but then after I got it warmed up it just wouldn't idle like it used to and then it would stop. I couldn't get it to start again. I left it for a couple hours and same thing. Run, warm up and then stop.

I swear I was recommended to use the 50:1 but yes after checking it says 40:1. I will dump the fuel I got and get the 40:1.

I do agree with a few of you. I have this auger and another older 8" (brand fails me at this time) I could sell the two and probably get an electric. It may happen.

Sounds like it might be a Tecumseh, if it is I personally would not trade it for an electric auger. A couple years back I had a plethora of auger brands, all running the same Tecumseh motors, always preffered the Jiffy by a long shot. Last year I sold the others and bought another Jiffy off of a co-worker who wanted an electric. Less than one season in and he's already asking about getting his Jiffy back... he's not
Old 02-22-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:41 AM

I have the same auger. Similar issue. found a small crack in the fuel line. Watch the line when you prime it. I was getting tiny, tiny bubbles in the fuel line, no matter how many times I primed it. Changed the fuel line, 2 prime pumps, no bubbles and it starts 2nd pull.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Check your plug wire for cracks. It might be arcing out. It sounds like carb issues but when you say hard starting it makes me wonder. I've had issues with my plug wire on my strikemaster magnum 10 inch that were consistent with carb issues. Just bought the strikemaster 40v 10 inch a few weeks ago my old gas augers weren't trustworthy anymore. Jiffy had gear box issues and the old strikemaster has drilled his quota and then some. Keep it as a spare, but the big electric is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:13 PM

Default carb settings

Attached is a sheet I used for my carb adjustments, cut and paste from the web.

Always use premium gas
Always add fuel stabilizer
Always run dry in the spring

FYI, you can buy a cheap replacement carb from amazon. Not that much more than a carb rebuild kit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jiffy Carb settings.pdf (61.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 03:09 PM

My Jiffy is close to 50yrs old and still out cuts most augers I see.
Some of you might remember the one with the lone suicide handle. Thats the one I got.
You will have to pry it out of my dead hands.....

BH

Old 03-05-2023, 09:55 AM

Update

I figured I would try the easiest option and change the fuel lines. I remember I actually did this a while back and it fixed my problem.

While looking for parts for Jiffy I found out my Model 30 Jiffy was the Jiffy engine they switched from the Tecumseh. So Jiffy wants $16 USD for the fuel line kit with the gas tank grommet. Locally they want $42. So factoring in exchange and freight it was probably about the same price to buy local. So I did a little more searching and was thinking I may want to get a new carb. Searching again on Jiffy they wanted $80 USD for the replacement carb. So fuel line and carb about $100 USD plus shipping.

Well figure OK this is the made in china model. I found a carb, fuel line kit, spark plug etc. on Amazon. $40 CAD including freight. Well lets give it a try.

Got the parts in a few days. Changed out the fuel line. It didn't run any better.

Switched out the carb. Seemed to be running better.

Head out to the lake on Saturday. Fires up real good. Runs nice and smooth. Cuts like a beast. I cut 17 holes in total yesterday and it runs like it's new again.

I am going to take the old carb apart and clean it up real good and now I have a backup.

So happy it was a pretty simple fix after all. Crossing my fingers it keeps running well. I will make sure I only use non ethanol fuel and run it clean at the end of the season.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Update

I figured I would try the easiest option and change the fuel lines. I remember I actually did this a while back and it fixed my problem.

While looking for parts for Jiffy I found out my Model 30 Jiffy was the Jiffy engine they switched from the Tecumseh. So Jiffy wants $16 USD for the fuel line kit with the gas tank grommet. Locally they want $42. So factoring in exchange and freight it was probably about the same price to buy local. So I did a little more searching and was thinking I may want to get a new carb. Searching again on Jiffy they wanted $80 USD for the replacement carb. So fuel line and carb about $100 USD plus shipping.

Well figure OK this is the made in china model. I found a carb, fuel line kit, spark plug etc. on Amazon. $40 CAD including freight. Well lets give it a try.

Got the parts in a few days. Changed out the fuel line. It didn't run any better.

Switched out the carb. Seemed to be running better.

Head out to the lake on Saturday. Fires up real good. Runs nice and smooth. Cuts like a beast. I cut 17 holes in total yesterday and it runs like it's new again.

I am going to take the old carb apart and clean it up real good and now I have a backup.

So happy it was a pretty simple fix after all. Crossing my fingers it keeps running well. I will make sure I only use non ethanol fuel and run it clean at the end of the season.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Glad you got it figured out. I had one of the early Viper powered Eskimo's and had the same trouble with it, and getting parts was a slow affair. I finally just ordered a new carb for it, got it running good, and sold it for dirt cheap to another member with full disclosure... unless something's changed its run like a charm ever since, so hopefully your luck is as good as Geezle's.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:00 PM

Ignore the "go electric" guys. They seem to forget they will be dropping $400-$600 on a couple new batteries in a few years, if the ones they can get at that point are even compatible with their ice augers at all!
Old 03-05-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Ignore the "go electric" guys. They seem to forget they will be dropping $400-$600 on a couple new batteries in a few years, if the ones they can get at that point are even compatible with their ice augers at all!
If they made gas augers like they did 25 years ago, the electric augers wouldn't have got a toe in the door. Not buying a new gas auger every fall anymore. I have electric tools with batteries that get run dead day after day. Never thrown out a battery yet. I think we all know enough about dead batteries in winter to know enough to keep them warm and charged.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Going on year number four, cut a heck of a lot of holes weekly, strikemaster 40V...no issues to date.
If needed still can purchase batteries but not required as they are holding up real well.
There is a reason why our local info mall under fishing section has a lot of gas augers for sale....

Old 03-06-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Going on year number four, cut a heck of a lot of holes weekly, strikemaster 40V...no issues to date.
If needed still can purchase batteries but not required as they are holding up real well.
There is a reason why our local info mall under fishing section has a lot of gas augers for sale....
Same. 5 years for me. Starts everytime... haha!
My buddy and I are always commenting when we hear a gas auger fire up. Just a thing we do. My original battery may be cutting 10% or so less holds...which is still very impressive. Would love to see a 10 inch polymer auger flight yet. I just can't go back to 8 inch....must be something wrong with me
Old 03-06-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Same. 5 years for me. Starts everytime... haha!
My buddy and I are always commenting when we hear a gas auger fire up. Just a thing we do. My original battery may be cutting 10% or so less holds...which is still very impressive. Would love to see a 10 inch polymer auger flight yet. I just can't go back to 8 inch....must be something wrong with me
As far as I'm concerned, the more American made Jiffys on Kijiji the better
Old 03-06-2023, 01:04 PM

I went the option of an amazon carb on my jiffy white lighting but couldn't get it to fire up and idle proper. New carb from the city wasn't worth it so I just upgraded when I found an eskimo on sale. This was 5ish years ago too.

Lawn mower hospital is pretty good for sourcing all those carb, grommet parts also.