Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 01:39 PM

Default George Lake Manitoba

Question for my Mb friends. George Lake used to have an outfitter to take you across the river, and had boats out at the lake. All the numbers seem to be out of order, so I'm assuming the original outfitter has packed it in. Does anyone know if there is a new outfitter? I really want to take my boys to one of my old fave lakes for smallmouth.

If no one knows about the outfitters, can you recommend any other smallmouth fisheries? LoTW is another option but I'd really like to rent a boat.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:45 PM

I would never post this on a MB messageboard, but......... check out Q Lake Lodge online. It has what you're looking for, and is arguably the best smallie fishery in Manitoba. People go there for walleye primarily and don't even realize what they're missing with the smallies in the Quesnel/Manigatogan/Happy chain of lakes....
Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I would never post this on a MB messageboard, but......... check out Q Lake Lodge online. It has what you're looking for, and is arguably the best smallie fishery in Manitoba. People go there for walleye primarily and don't even realize what they're missing with the smallies in the Quesnel/Manigatogan/Happy chain of lakes....
Thanks for the info. My lips are sealed. You may want to delete this. Lol
Old 02-21-2023, 11:20 PM

I spent 5 days at Q Lake in 2021 ,worst road to enter I have ever seen .If you meet another vehicle , someone is backing up a good distance .Came close to hauling my RV ,very happy I didn't.

There are new owner so hopefully they fixed it a bit better, you can rent a boat there and a cabin . Your in a park there so only so much can be done work wise for the road,plus you need a permit to be in it.Fishing is very good and there's an excellent bass lake over a small portage. On that note I will never go back or every pull my boat into there ever. Lotsa guys from Winnipeg go there ,so another reason I won't go.

It took me 4.5 hours from Winnipeg.I live south of the city 30 miles away. 3.5 hours of gravel road and mostly crushed stone past the Pinefalls .

I know Lake of the woods like the back of my hand ,it's got rocks all over it so you need maps or a rubber bottom end, fishing is also good.if you can afford a guide for day or 2 it's worth the money .It has 14000 islands ,like 65000 miles of shoreline .

Depends what fish you want to target and there's great fishing at different times.

Let me know where you want to go and might be able to help out, fishing spots to me are a dime a dozen .

I fished one large area on the English river and never seen a boat go by me for 3 months last year , that's because it's a very dangerous system and the water was 15 feet high in the spring .So all the master anglers stayed tucked together up stream like sheep waiting for there shepard..If you hit a rock you have a 100 miles to drift with two drop off's of 8 feet with water flowing at 30 miles per hour 60 feet deep ,so more or less you would wreck your gear .

I paid a guide 250 a day for 12 days to show me this system in the early 90's ,best 3000 I ever spent .It's massive .You could fish a different spot every day if you lived for 500 years,no guff The water was low for a few years there and one summer 58 boats went down stream, only 2 didn't need a bottom end .I didn't even go .

I might be going near the Pas.mb this summer up to cranberry portage and the surrounding lakes ,but first I need to drive there and check it all out.

I go a long way to avoid other boats ,so telling you a few spots is no big deal.

I can even recommend a few lodges that are fly in for decent prices and very little pressure with great fishing ,trout, walleye ,pike, bass .

There are a couple George lakes, are you think of the one just down from Point du Boise dam to the east ????? I fished years ago above and below the dam ,part of the English river I mentioned about 140 miles down stream from where I was last summer.

Just remember to pick a place you can go out or exit 2 different ways ,you can get trapped if we have a dry spring and forest fires

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 02-21-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:33 PM

Q Lake road has since been fixed. New owners are MUCH better than the old ones. One of my favourite things to do at Q Lake is rent one of their island campsites and tent it. Much less driving to get to the good spots. Man that chain has some good fishing.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:01 PM

Yes the George Lake I'm referring to is the one across the river from Pointe du Bois. I really liked it there because of it's remoteness.

Growing up we had a cabin on the Wpg River not far from Pine Falls, and friends had a spot on Dorothy Lake. I sure miss the exceptional fishing NE Mb has to offer. Thanks for the great tips guys, appreciate it.

k
Old 02-24-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Yes the George Lake I'm referring to is the one across the river from Pointe du Bois. I really liked it there because of it's remoteness.

Growing up we had a cabin on the Wpg River not far from Pine Falls, and friends had a spot on Dorothy Lake. I sure miss the exceptional fishing NE Mb has to offer. Thanks for the great tips guys, appreciate it.

k
there's at least a couple of us on this board who are from that area. I'm born and raised in Pinawa, family farm at Seven Sisters Falls on the edge of the Whiteshell, and family cabin at Victoria Beach on the east side of "Big Windy". It is, indeed, spectacular fishing that I miss dearly every single day.