Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2023, 03:58 PM

Default New to Edmonton - Thinking about trying Whitefish lake

Hi all,

Just moved to Edmonton last week from BC (originally from Calgary). I have boxes stacked up to the ceiling in my new place but the only thing I've unpacked was all my ice fishing gear. I know March is a good time for every species back when I used to fish near Calgary and I was thinking about heading up to Whitefish Lake for some.. well whites (and possibly a burbot or 2).

There seems to be 3 access points, Silver Birch Resort on the NW side, Paradise cove resort in the south and Whitefish Lake Band #128 beach on the east side. Does anyone have any updates on these access points? I'll be driving a half tonne and ideally would like to drive onto the lake to explore different spots.

What are everyone's thoughts/opinions/experiences like for this lake?

thanks!
Old 02-28-2023, 05:09 PM

It has been a few years for me. I usually get on at the South. And, always by skidoo. Not much to stop drifting at that lake. So many vehicles get stuck on the South side just getting on. Not sure about this year.

Lots of whites but some of the wormiest I've seen. If you can stomach it you will be good. Or just C&R them.

I've only caught a handful of burbs but the ones I did catch were nice.

Never tried Silver Birch in the winter because there is a gate in the summer and I assumed it is closed shut in the winter. Might be worth a look though.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:46 PM

Any updates? I am looking forwards to whitefish lake too
Old 03-07-2023, 10:30 AM

I don't think you can get on with a truck at Paradise right now, unless that's changed in the last couple weeks. I'm not sure about the other access points but there have been trucks on the lake. The whitefish bite has been a bit slow this year, but they're down there.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:41 AM

I didn't actually end up going as a buddy of mine dragged me to a different lake to target burbot. I really want to catch one of those jumbo whites in Lac Ste. Anne before the ice season finishes so looks like this lake will be a spring/summer lake exploration for me.