Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 04:11 PM

Default 7mm-08

I know this has been beat to death over the years, but here goes.

Looking to put together/buy a lighter weight hunting rifle for my wife in 7mm-08. Yes I'm stuck on 7-08. Looking for options that are in stock, not what has been available in the past and is no longer available.

No it will not be an axis, or savage, ruger rifle, just not looking at those right now, as I want something with more value. I know they may shoot well, but this is what I want. I know tika is an option, but not really interested in the tika either. Just preference.

I'm not opposed to buying pcs either, and have in the past, so I'm not afraid of that option. Looking for shortish 16"-18" barrel range to keep weight down. NO she will probably never be shooting in a hunting situation past 300 ish yards. I already have a trigger I could use if I went build my own route, and would probably go an XLR chassis, as I already use one, and know what they are. I think she would be just as comfortable in that kind of pistol grip set up.

Already have a scope and bino sig combo that will be her glass with the bdx.

Are the sako cabon lites worth the asking price? I know a kimber is not available, but I want to try and get into that weight range of 5.5 lbs before glass.

It will be pushing the 145 grain barnes lrx bullets, so what twist will be better for an 18" or less barrel?

If I go the built own route it will probably by XLR atom chassis, 16.5" cabon barrel, with brake. Just a matter of finding a decently light action. Thoughts on this?

Are there really any options out there for a complete rifle right now like this?
Old 03-07-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post

If I go the built own route it will probably by XLR atom chassis, 16.5" cabon barrel, with brake. Just a matter of finding a decently light action. Thoughts on this?

I like this build, I currently have a 7mm-08. I love it, and have wanted to do a custom myself as well.

I would look at MDT Chassis, if you haven't. They are Canadian and very good folks to deal with.

Jay
Old 03-07-2023, 06:18 PM

Precision optics has a few choices in stock, Fierce and Christensen. I’ve been looking around for lighter weight 7mm-08’s for a while and there isn’t much out there for in stock lighter weight, decent quality rifles.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:15 PM

i went with a tikka superlite and had the bolt fluted. It loves barnes 139 lrx and i love the gun even though its the wifes.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:26 PM

I purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm08 and I'm very pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2023, 05:38 AM

Just got a rem mod 7 in 7-08. Wood stock 18" barrel short mod 7 action....havent used it on game yet but it should work great for my wife / boys.. currently they are shooting a browning micro midas in 243 so it's a decent step up in performance. Both of those rifles are great small/ short platforms. My wife killed a big cow elk at 320yds with her midas and last year my son killed a mature mule doe at just a couple feet under 300...
Old 03-08-2023, 06:09 AM

My Ultralight is a Remington 700 modified action to lighten , 308 win Douglas featherweight barrel at 18.5 “, and an MPI stock . It weighs 6 lbs with 6x leupold
Old 03-08-2023, 08:03 AM

Default My wife's gun

Hi: I set my wife up with a Weatherby GH2 (Girl's Hunt 2) in 7mm-08. With a Leupold 3 t0 14 by 44 with Talley rings/base combo. The cheek weld was not quite right for eye alignment so we bought a Cartridge carrier (like this https://www.hornady.com/shop/accesso...ady-ammo-pouch) and stuck some thin foam under the cheek side to get it just right. We use Hornady American Whitetail in 143 grain.

The result was a series of 1 shot kills on her 2nd to 4th WT deer....they didn't go twenty. She has also shot a moose, coyote, and MD Buck and doe.

It has been a great combo for her at a reasonable price for gun and ammo

Hoopi
Old 03-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Re: carbon light - worth the asking price only if you care about resale value. But the number of people wanting a $4g factory is limited. Most people spending that will go custom

You have a decent idea of what you want - KS arms lightweight or Defiance ANTI would be good choices for a lightweight action.

Have her hold a Christensen and weatherby, as you’d save a fair bit and still have basically the same level of quality and features. If she’d prefer chassis, then do that.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:36 AM

Default Weatherby

The weatherby Camilla is a beautiful rifle. My gf has a weatherby vanguard S2 youth and with 139gr SST and 40.5gr Benchmark she’s getting 2800fps and grouping nickels at 100 yds which is more then acceptable for our style of hunting.
It tears up pretty good compared to my 308.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:00 PM

If she is comfortable with a smaller length of pull, go with what I got my 2 older boys the browning micro midas hunter in 7-08 for each of them. When my youngest gets big enough he will get the same. Both rifles shoot less than moa at 100 yards. A reasonable finish on the stock, not a bad trigger and overall fit and finish is good on both rifles. For a full size rifle I would look at a Tikka t3x in a superlite if you can find one.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:47 PM

Going on Sat to have her hold a micro midas xbolt. They have it in stock in both the wood and the composite so it will be a great comparison. Had a left hand version earlier for a lefty son that was decent. Probably tune the trigger with MCarbo spring. Interestingly one is 12.5" and the other 13" LOP.

She will need a shorter stock to get the proper length of pull. Hopefully one of those work, or it will have to be custom. This will get me the options on the stocks, and the shorter barrel I prefer for her. Had her hold some of my standard LOP rifles and they are just too long for her.

If I go the custom route it will be a 60 bolt throw. I'm done with anything over that and the getting in the scope with the bolt, or knuckles. I have a defiance I shoot and this is a bit annoying. Looking at cadex or the ultimatum short throws. I prefer the scope mounted lower, so this is real.

I want to go custom, but my pocket says miro midas will be great, so I have more to spend for finishing my custom bench rifle.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:12 PM

16 1/2" barrel with a brake............... yikes

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:33 PM

I have a Sako Finnlight and Remington Model 7. Both have 20” barrels and are a pleasure to carry. The Model 7 is lighter and more compact due to the shorter action. The Finnlight carries 5 in the clip.

Based on what you’re looking at a decent option is a CA Ridgeline or Mesa FFT. They come threaded for a brake. Is around 5.5lbs.

I’m thinking my next 7-08 will be a Tikka T3. I just like Tikka’s.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:56 PM

Great choice wallz!
Old 03-08-2023, 07:11 PM

the remington titanium's are super light if you can find one
Old 03-08-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
The weatherby Camilla is a beautiful rifle. My gf has a weatherby vanguard S2 youth and with 139gr SST and 40.5gr Benchmark she’s getting 2800fps and grouping nickels at 100 yds which is more then acceptable for our style of hunting.
It tears up pretty good compared to my 308.
I will second the Camilla. They are special built to fit the female build and my wife absolutely loves hers. Hands down better fit than any other rifle she has tried. We ordered one from an out of province sponser that was advertising here after seeing many reviews on them. When it showed up and saw quality was quite a bit better than I was expecting for the price, and the way if fit her, and shoots on top of that I highly recomend them.