Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2023, 08:45 AM

Default 212 antlerless elk

Good morning crew,

Congratulations to everyone on the draws and good luck getting them filled.
I was fortunate and drew an antlered MD tag in southern Alberta and this 212 elk tag for December. After securing the tag I called up my friend in the area and was shocked to find out the government forced them out for the new dam. They lost a pile of land. I can’t believe they can just do that! I feel horrible for their family. I can’t imagine losing something your family has built for over 100 years. My problems are small in comparison to what this family is going through. I’m guessing they aren’t the only ones effected and my condolences to anyone else out there in the same boat. In my opinion I don’t think city voters should get to have a say where rural albertans can hold what land. Anyway, I’m looking for some help. Probably a long shot, but If anyone out there is willing to steer me in any kind of direction to speak with the right person who wants or needs some elk management assistance. Happy to meet in person as well. I live in Hinton and have hunted the area for a long time. Happy to trade some secrets and share meat when successful. Pm me if interested in helping out. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:57 AM

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2023, 07:17 PM

You and ever hunter in Calgary, Canada's 4th largest city is looking for permission in 212 good luck. Might be a long shot by try family connections.

Last edited by Dubious; 07-14-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallen Baugh View Post
Good morning crew,

Congratulations to everyone on the draws and good luck getting them filled.
I was fortunate and drew an antlered MD tag in southern Alberta and this 212 elk tag for December. After securing the tag I called up my friend in the area and was shocked to find out the government forced them out for the new dam. They lost a pile of land. I can’t believe they can just do that! I feel horrible for their family. I can’t imagine losing something your family has built for over 100 years. My problems are small in comparison to what this family is going through. I’m guessing they aren’t the only ones effected and my condolences to anyone else out there in the same boat. In my opinion I don’t think city voters should get to have a say where rural albertans can hold what land. Anyway, I’m looking for some help. Probably a long shot, but If anyone out there is willing to steer me in any kind of direction to speak with the right person who wants or needs some elk management assistance. Happy to meet in person as well. I live in Hinton and have hunted the area for a long time. Happy to trade some secrets and share meat when successful. Pm me if interested in helping out. Thanks in advance.
I know a family that had the exact same thing happen. might be the same. The 212 tag is difficult, not because of lack of elk or finding elk. Every property has a gate, and no way of contacting the owners. tons of anti hunting sentiment does not help. The elk figure this out pretty quick and sit on the areas they are safe. Is it possible? sure, if they are hitting the right property. Get used to door knocking and dont be afraid of getting turned away.