Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Default pickeral VS walleye the difference between

Ok folks I wanna make a point here I keep hearing people refering Walleye as Pickeral they are tottaly diffrent fish .

Here is the difference a Pickeral is very closely related to the Pike or even more closer to the musky .

THE PICKERAL

THE WALLEYE

THE SAUGER

The Northern Pike

The Musky

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 04-25-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM

lol....your walleye looks like a sauger...and yes your right very differant fish..
rob
Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 PM

NO !!!!
Ok now I got it all covered next yall will say it looks like a Bass or something.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Thank you! I've won so many bets and been in so many arguments over this one. No one believes me until I actually go online and prove it.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Another one I hear often is people calling rocky mtn whitefish grayling.

I have a pard from down east who is insistant that walleye are truely pickeral.Even after showing him the difference,he says he's right.It's always good for a campfire conversation over a few drinks.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Here in Mb, a lot of us call walleye pickeral or even yellows. We know the correct name is walleye but we learnt the other names from our older generation and we are comfortable with whatever we call them.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Default pikerallye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
NO !!!!
Ok now I got it all covered next yall will say it looks like a Bass or something.
chain pikerel -- only found in eastern canada --- also known by a dozen latin & local & aboriginal & grandpas names . who cares-- as long as they fight like hell and make your fishing adventure FUN -- whoooo cares . keep your lines tight .
Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Nomenclature is dictated by usage. If enough folks called walleye "Blue Marlin" that would be the new name.

In Manitoba as a kid EVERYONE called them "pickerel". Nobody called them walleye. There are lots of names for the same animal, i.e. elk and wapiti .

It bugs me when guys try to preach to us acting "oh so smart" by insisting we call the fish "walleye" when "pickerel" is a fully acceptable "slang name". Call em "pickerel" all you want guys. I'd guess over a million Canadians call they pickerel, so whats so wrong with that? I like the name pickerel. To me they will ALWAYS be "pickerel". I don't care that there is a "misnamed" pike relative in the east that has also stolen the name...
Old 05-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elmo View Post
Nomenclature is dictated by usage. If enough folks called walleye "Blue Marlin" that would be the new name.

In Manitoba as a kid EVERYONE called them "pickerel". Nobody called them walleye. There are lots of names for the same animal, i.e. elk and wapiti .

It bugs me when guys try to preach to us acting "oh so smart" by insisting we call the fish "walleye" when "pickerel" is a fully acceptable "slang name". Call em "pickerel" all you want guys. I'd guess over a million Canadians call they pickerel, so whats so wrong with that? I like the name pickerel. To me they will ALWAYS be "pickerel". I don't care that there is a "misnamed" pike relative in the east that has also stolen the name...
The little pike is in books as pickeral... so when the regs say walleye retention 0 telling the CO you've only caught pickeral your wrong and ... thats the reason common names have no bearing or meaning and the regs call species by a correct name however the latin ie esox lusox is the only correct name .
Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elmo View Post

Ok Jill....