Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Default Ucluelet Pointers?

My wife just surprised me with some WestJet tickets and a couple days on the water here in July.
I (we've) never done this or been there before.
We land in Vancouver and then take a ferry to the island and drive across.
What ferry is the easiest from the airport?
All I know is to take Gravol!
Can or should a fella take anything to up the odds of catching something?
How do you bring fish home on a plane?
OOOOh! So excited and so many questions!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Styrofoam coolers in a wax lined box (can buy fish boxes out there many places) is a good way to bring back fish....the coolers are light and won't take up much of your 50lbs /bag limit.

The fish cannot have any ice packed with it....must have freezer packs for transport on the plane....be prepared to show you have no ice packed with the fish, be prepared to dump ice in the parking lot

Speaking from experience....

LC
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM

These are the pointers I'm looking for!
Nothing like learning from the mistakes of others!
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Ucluelet I am told mow has a fish processor have them sent there and shipped home
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM

There are acouple of options for freezing and vacume packing. Both right there easy to access. One place does vacume packing and flash freezing on site. The other sends it all frozen to Nanaimo to be processed. Be prepared to haul limits of fish home. I've sent the boys back to Saskatchewan with there weight limits way over with processed fish. Be prepared!!!! It will be great
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Definitely, definitely have breakfast - lunch - and dinner at The Matterson House restaurant in Ukee. Some of the best food on the west coast.

If you haven't booked a charter yet, the Canadian Princess offers the most affordable options.

Take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay in Vancouver to Departure Bay in Nanaimo.

On the way to Ukee, stop at Coombs, look for the Coombs Goats on the roof Market. Buy some candied salmon, maple.

Further on the way to Ukee, prepare to stop at Cathedral Grove. Massive trees, great forest walks to stretch your legs.

Bring a raincoat, and wool. There's a reason the locals wear it all the time, it rains almost daily.

A walk down by the water in the morning fog in Ukee, coffee in hand, is a great way to repeatedly ask yourself why do you not live on the island.

Have fun. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Tight lines!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM

If you are wanting to do a one day charter I can send you a link to one I'd consider, just send me a PM if interested.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Definitely, definitely have breakfast - lunch - and dinner at The Matterson House restaurant in Ukee. Some of the best food on the west coast.

If you haven't booked a charter yet, the Canadian Princess offers the most affordable options.

Take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay in Vancouver to Departure Bay in Nanaimo.

On the way to Ukee, stop at Coombs, look for the Coombs Goats on the roof Market. Buy some candied salmon, maple.

Further on the way to Ukee, prepare to stop at Cathedral Grove. Massive trees, great forest walks to stretch your legs.

Bring a raincoat, and wool. There's a reason the locals wear it all the time, it rains almost daily.

A walk down by the water in the morning fog in Ukee, coffee in hand, is a great way to repeatedly ask yourself why do you not live on the island.

Have fun. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Tight lines!

This is exactly what I did 10 years ago. Enjoy the trip and yes a coffee in the a.m. on the dock is what makes life great!

Dodger.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM

We are going with Canadian Princess.
Hope it's ok! Again, my wife did this all on her own so I'm not allowed to grumble either way.
Super info. everyone. Thanks!
Probably won't have time for alot of extra stops this trip, but maybe it'll be the start of something we'll be doing again.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Great place to be. Make sure you have dinner at the Matterson house and whale watching is a must in that area. Wish I could live there.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Since you are going with the Canadian Princess, you will be on a boat with 24 other people all jigging the same lure, and all catching fish.

When you get on the boat, try to get on one of the corners of the stern, you'll tangle less.

Best advice to catch more fish than anyone else - Jig exceptionally hard and fast. As fast as you possibly can. It seems that the 24 other people jig in the same rhythm. If you're the one lure which is faster, and stands out - that's the one the big ones will hit. Send your lure to bottom, if it stops before bottom, reel up and set the hook - a salmon has hit it on the way down! Jig very aggressively on bottom for a minute and you'll likely hook up with something. If not, jig very fast and reel up to get into the salmon.

If you head out to Big Bank, you can expect Salmon, Halibut, Ling and Rockfish all day long. Prepare for sore arms. If it's too windy, you will fish the islands. Plenty, plenty of rock fish of all kinds. Vermillion are my favorite, the red and white beauties.

Have fun, it's a great trip.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 PM

I go out to Ucluelet every year and Here are my recommendations. Of course I assume that you are going on a salmon and halibut charter with the Canadian Princess. But I would also highly highly recommend going on their bottom fishing charter if you have time in your days. It is really exciting because you never know what you are going to pull up. You can catch over 12 types of rockfish, lingcod, halibut, cabezon, and there is always a chance at salmon on it too.

My one recommendation is also to bring medium size glow in the dark jig bodies to hook onto one of the trebles on the hooks that they supple when bottom fishing. This has always doubled the number of fish that I catch compared to the others on the boat.

For motion sickness take Gravol and also grab some sea bands. They go around your wrists and really help with sea sickness when used properly.

You will love it out there. It is great out there. If you get time try to go walk around the wild pacific trail. It is great! Good luck and tight lines!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:21 PM

If you have a choice between sleeping on the ship or in the hotel. Opt for the Hotel
Usually the vomit trigger on those boats is the smell of the cabin heater. Stay outside. And don't freak out when you first see those rollers on the way out. It calms down a little bit on the open ocean.
Stay alert for Coho hits on or near the surface on every retrieve to change locations.
They usually change lures every year. Best year I had was mooching Needlefish imitations
You will be assigned a # and they will etch/slash your # on the cheek of your fish for identification back at the dock. At least they did the last time I was there.
Try to stay alive on the drive down from Port Alberni. People pass in the most ridiculous places- Drive defensively and have an awesome time.

Last edited by omega50; 05-19-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Banned

Full Curl.. What a great gift from your wife!!!

I know they are running Boston whalers that will see just the 2 of you fishing together. Perhaps thats something the 2 of you would enjoy. If I was out there, thats exactly what I would do.

Good luck and enjoy it. When you get back, please post up your pics and story. Perhaps we will see you up here one day soon.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl View Post
My wife just surprised me with some WestJet tickets and a couple days on the water here in July.
I (we've) never done this or been there before.
We land in Vancouver and then take a ferry to the island and drive across.
What ferry is the easiest from the airport?
All I know is to take Gravol!
Can or should a fella take anything to up the odds of catching something?
How do you bring fish home on a plane?
OOOOh! So excited and so many questions!
If your not set on taking the ferry jump in a cab and have them take you over to the float plane terminal. its about 70$ each and only a 20 min flight over to nanaimo. Then you can rent a car and take your time making the beautiful drive over to the west coast.

the ferry can be a huge hassle during the summer and getting to the terminal without a car is a pain.

A little tip if you think you will be prone to getting sick on the water, get yourself a bag of bulk candied ginger. keep a piece tucked in your cheek while your fishing to keep your stomach from ruining your day.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Full Curl.. What a great gift from your wife!!!

I know they are running Boston whalers that will see just the 2 of you fishing together. Perhaps thats something the 2 of you would enjoy. If I was out there, thats exactly what I would do.

Good luck and enjoy it. When you get back, please post up your pics and story. Perhaps we will see you up here one day soon.

Good luck
Jamie
Thanks Jamie.

If a fella isn't sure about the upset tummy issue, do you think the Boston Whalers might not be so great? Otherwise I'd be inclined to do that too.

Hopefully this is a baby step into something new and we'll get to come up there!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Styrofoam coolers in a wax lined box (can buy fish boxes out there many places) is a good way to bring back fish....the coolers are light and won't take up much of your 50lbs /bag limit.

The fish cannot have any ice packed with it....must have freezer packs for transport on the plane....be prepared to show you have no ice packed with the fish, be prepared to dump ice in the parking lot

Speaking from experience....

LC
I too have spent time in the parking lot of an airport, dumping ice. And then hastily calling up a cab to go "cold pack hunting".

Uculet fishing is great, always have fun! We used to roll with Oak Bay (Canadian Princess) the first few years, but graduated to a private charter.

Got fish both ways, but the 2nd was a lot less work (but a lot more $$).
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Fishfull Thinking www.fishfullthinking.ca/ did a great job of packing and flash freezing my catch. Good enough to last all the way back to Calgary by car.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 AM

Those big boats that anchor and you jig off the side....we call the "chuck and chums"....many people get sick on those.

If you think you might get sea sick....but don't know, take something just in case before you go out!

LC
Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl View Post
Thanks Jamie.

If a fella isn't sure about the upset tummy issue, do you think the Boston Whalers might not be so great? Otherwise I'd be inclined to do that too.

Hopefully this is a baby step into something new and we'll get to come up there!
I think you will find the patch most effective.
Just put on the night before.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Westjet allows up to four checked bags first is free second is $25 last two are $50 each. None of which can be over 50lbs.
I know your wife booked the flights for you but unless you have a reason for going to Vancouver I would see about direct flights to naniamo... If there are any I know westjet flys direct to comox