Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Come to the Coast If you're Tired of Winter

Stillwater flyfishing February 14th in Canada is not the most comon thing you get to see or do around here. Most lakes in Canada are still covered with a thick layer of ice. Here we are lucky enough to have open water for the majority of the year. The fish seem to be quite actively feeding as well during the open water winter months. It is a great combination. I think after filling Rod's inbox up with pictures of backyard trout this spring he had a hard time saying no to and invitation to hit the soft water one afternoon. We grabbed the fly rods, indicators and some leech pattern flies which the trout really seemed to be keying in on. Had a great afternoon on the water and caught a bunch of great fish, even a few double headers.

Check out the video and when you're done head on over to "Fishing with Rod" when he has a huge library of videos fishing in British Columbia and beyond. I really have learned a lot from his videos over the years and felt like I knew him before ever moving to BC. Fortunately I get the opportunity to drift a float or drag a fly once in a while with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5CULfTcio

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-24-2020, 10:17 AM

Nope too much rain and people on the south coast can’t do it anymore. I do miss the sea run cutties and bulls this time of year though

I am a little jealous you are fishing open water I have to admit
Old 03-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Nope too much rain and people on the south coast can’t do it anymore. I do miss the sea run cutties and bulls this time of year though

have to agree...love the Comox valley in the 70' 80's...north of Cambell River is still nice and the west side too.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:

It's been bright sunshine here for the last three weeks or so with Day time temp over 10 Degrees C. Doesn't rain all the time. I meant for a break from winter not forever. You can't come now anyways with this crazy Coronavirus. Stay away!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna have to pick your brains on sea run cutties

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
It's been bright sunshine here for the last three weeks or so with Day time temp over 10 Degrees C. Doesn't rain all the time. I meant for a break from winter not forever. You can't come now anyways with this crazy Coronavirus. Stay away!
I remember getting at least few hours of sunshine when living there . Three weeks straight of sunshine is pretty good for this time of year

Definitely not planning traveling anywhere with all this virus mess but if it smartens up I may head to the fraser valley to visit family. Most likely do a little larger mouth, crappie, or maybe sturgeon fishing if I do

There is the odd thing I miss on the coast I have to admit
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I'm gonna have to pick your brains on sea run cutties
Feel free to PM me

First and most important tip find salmon fry
Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So why the heck did it sound like you were inviting us? I wanted to come down and fish the Harrison River area for cutties but people there are telling us to stay away, including Squamish where there should be some good Dolly Varden and steelhead fishing now. The Vedder/ Chilliwack system WAS great way back when but how can you practice social distancing there anymore?

Oh well, enjoy!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
So why the heck did it sound like you were inviting us? I wanted to come down and fish the Harrison River area for cutties but people there are telling us to stay away, including Squamish where there should be some good Dolly Varden and steelhead fishing now. The Vedder/ Chilliwack system WAS great way back when but how can you practice social distancing there anymore?

Oh well, enjoy!
I dont think he was serious about saying stay away lol BC is a bigger hotspot for the virus then alberta is right now. If anything they should be staying away from alberta. You're also talking about a doctor that is actually fighting the front lines and his hospital is asking for donations of n95 masks right now.

He is just kidding around haha I'm sure there is room for anyone that wants to fish, i only get bothered by the guy that doesnt keep his distance lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-24-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I dont think he was serious about saying stay away lol BC is a bigger hotspot for the virus then alberta is right now. If anything they should be staying away from alberta. You're also talking about a doctor that is actually fighting the front lines and his hospital is asking for donations of n95 masks right now.

He is just kidding around haha I'm sure there is room for anyone that wants to fish, i only get bothered by the guy that doesnt keep his distance lol
Fair enough. I've just got a bad case of cabin fever here and too nervous to consider going through two airports at this time. But this is the time of year to fish the Harrison system for cutties, as long as you can find them of course. Spent many days exploring up and down from the Highway 7 bridge. One thing for sure, if they are around they will usually show themselves in the spring, sometimes less so in the fall.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Cutties

Kilby = cutties
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Kilby = cutties
Kilby = where every sports store in the lower mainland recommends to catch cutties

Joking aside it can be pretty good but there is lots of good places that are less popular.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I remember getting at least few hours of sunshine when living there . Three weeks straight of sunshine is pretty good for this time of year

Definitely not planning traveling anywhere with all this virus mess but if it smartens up I may head to the fraser valley to visit family. Most likely do a little larger mouth, crappie, or maybe sturgeon fishing if I do

There is the odd thing I miss on the coast I have to admit

I really need to get out and try for those crappie, Bass and sturgeon. A few springs ago I tried some of the local waters for bass without any luck. Big fail. I'd like to get out on some of the sloughs with my kayak and get back there and give it a good try for crappie. If you have tips I'm all ears. Like timing is the big one. When is a good time to start trying for bass and crappie?

Yeah if you want to still come to the coast I have not heard any absolute restrictions, but with this viral outbreak I wouldn't recommend much travel. Fishing seems to be safe, but they closed down all the provincial campgrounds. Crazy times. I figure in the next week hospitals with really fill up. No fun.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I really need to get out and try for those crappie, Bass and sturgeon. A few springs ago I tried some of the local waters for bass without any luck. Big fail. I'd like to get out on some of the sloughs with my kayak and get back there and give it a good try for crappie. If you have tips I'm all ears. Like timing is the big one. When is a good time to start trying for bass and crappie?

Yeah if you want to still come to the coast I have not heard any absolute restrictions, but with this viral outbreak I wouldn't recommend much travel. Fishing seems to be safe, but they closed down all the provincial campgrounds. Crazy times. I figure in the next week hospitals with really fill up. No fun.
Whonnock (sp?) Lake used to be good for crappie but that was way back in the late '60s so I don't know about now.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Bass and crappie are warm water fish May- mid October is when to fish them. Bass are on beds is May and crappie school up for the spawn mid June. I used to skip school lots to target crappie last week of school lol. Crappie fishing in June is deadly if you have it dialed in on that body of water and talking 100+fish days. Fishing bass on their beds is almost cheating and deemed unethical to some because they are protecting fry. I don’t do it anymore but used to as a teen.

For bass spinner baits, crankbaits, jerk baits, prop baits, and rubber worms/lizards are my go to for lures. A fly rod with streamers/leach patterns can be down right deadly for numbers but lots of small fish.

Crappie small marabou tail jigs are deadly. Tubes and curly tails are ok. I do have places I targeted them with small crankbaits and spinner baits. Again the fly rod can be good. Running a jig under a float can work great but pull the float towards you and then let it rest so the jig swings back under the float. Keep repeating those steps

Both species are big on structure.

That should give you an idea on how I fish them. I know my spots really well is a big part of it too.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Whonnock (sp?) Lake used to be good for crappie but that was way back in the late '60s so I don't know about now.
Still good from a small boat fish are smaller on average though. That is actually where I caught my first crappie as a kid
Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 PM

I saw this posted for BC. Not sure how many of these areas are places that have fishing. Lots of provincial parks are now closed.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

\
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-24-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Yes, I actually did my first crappie Ice fishing a few years ago there when it froze up good and solid. Was fun, but not much size to them. I see the odd picture of a big one in their so there must be a few around that are larger size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9VhiV-ZMOk

Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 AM

I don’t think I have ever met anyone who has ice fished Whonnock before but most years it’s not possible

Those crappie are pretty common for that lake but you can get into schools of bigger fish 10-13inch. They seem to school up with fish of similar size so if you are into lots of small ones you don’t get many big ones.

I found the far northwest corner of the lake and the East shore half way across. But this is June July
Old 03-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Stop it...I am getting a little twitchy with all this possible fishing spots the next time I hit the island....hopefully this summer.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Stop it...I am getting a little twitchy with all this possible fishing spots the next time I hit the island....hopefully this summer.
The last one is lower mainland (east of Mission)
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I don’t think I have ever met anyone who has ice fished Whonnock before but most years it’s not possible

Those crappie are pretty common for that lake but you can get into schools of bigger fish 10-13inch. They seem to school up with fish of similar size so if you are into lots of small ones you don’t get many big ones.

I found the far northwest corner of the lake and the East shore half way across. But this is June July

Good to hear there are some bigger ones in there. I will have to get in there and give it a try if the coronavirus quarantine is lifted by then.

Were they suspended in deep water or you caught them in shallower?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Good to hear there are some bigger ones in there. I will have to get in there and give it a try if the coronavirus quarantine is lifted by then.

Were they suspended in deep water or you caught them in shallower?
It varies depending on the weather and time of day. 10ft or less is pretty common because they tuck into the lily pads or under the floating vegetation mats( to the west of the west dock is all floating mat not real shore line) in that lake rather then head for deep water in the heat. Late afternoon they can be feeding on the surface and caught on dry flies, small floating rapalas, float/jig and spinners

For the most I am trying different pockets of structure to see what they hold for schools. If it’s hot and sunny lily pads near the creek or the vegetation mats in the south west or if it’s still there the old dock and lily pads to the north west. Late afternoon they come out to the edges of the lily pads and feed often on the surface.

Been a few years since I fished Whonnock because I usually fish the areas that hold bass and crappie or bigger crappie if I am visiting family at prime season. Crappie are bigger in hatzic and there is bass. Pitt marsh system holds bigger crappie in lower numbers but good bass fishing. I also have all kinds of dumb spots most don’t know
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
It varies depending on the weather and time of day. 10ft or less is pretty common because they tuck into the lily pads or under the floating vegetation mats( to the west of the west dock is all floating mat not real shore line) in that lake rather then head for deep water in the heat. Late afternoon they can be feeding on the surface and caught on dry flies, small floating rapalas, float/jig and spinners

For the most I am trying different pockets of structure to see what they hold for schools. If it’s hot and sunny lily pads near the creek or the vegetation mats in the south west or if it’s still there the old dock and lily pads to the north west. Late afternoon they come out to the edges of the lily pads and feed often on the surface.

Been a few years since I fished Whonnock because I usually fish the areas that hold bass and crappie or bigger crappie if I am visiting family at prime season. Crappie are bigger in hatzic and there is bass. Pitt marsh system holds bigger crappie in lower numbers but good bass fishing. I also have all kinds of dumb spots most don’t know
Well if you're ever around and want a fishing buddy let me know. I have a two up sit on top fishing kayak that could be handy for getting back into Pitt Marsh area. I may have to try it in the spring once things heat up.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The last one is lower mainland (east of Mission)
Whonnock Lake is north of Maple Ridge off the Dewdney Trunk Rd., so quite west of Mission!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Well if you're ever around and want a fishing buddy let me know. I have a two up sit on top fishing kayak that could be handy for getting back into Pitt Marsh area. I may have to try it in the spring once things heat up.
Don’t know when I will be down there next but will try to remember the offer next time I do

If you do hit Pitt shoot me a PM and I will point you in the direction of some areas to try. Spring time slow presentation pitching soft plastics is the way to go for bass. When it warms up chartreuse Spinnerbait works good.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Whonnock Lake is north of Maple Ridge off the Dewdney Trunk Rd., so quite west of Mission!
Yes you are correct it is west East is a typo. Technically not in maple Ridge either but instead in whonnock closer to Ruskin .
Old 03-29-2020, 02:04 AM

Default Kokanee ice fishign

Another BC video Ice Fishing Kokanee, no need for new thread I figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDFeJAlHoRU

Ice fishing for Kokanee is a very popular winter activity in British Columbia and a lot of the western United States. Even though they may not be the biggest fish, they make up with their large schooling numbers and aggressive feeding behaviour throughout the winter months. The size largely depends on the fishery density and food availability. Generally these fish feed on planktonic creatures, daphnia or water fleas. They readily take small jigs and spoons under the ice. Typically a flashing spoon is placed several inches above the lure which attracts the school of fish over for closer investigation of your lure. They seem to like the constant movement of the jig. Gets them aggressive and keeps their interest until one is caught. Make sure you get your line back down as quick as possible because when the school is in the area you can have several minutes of constant action.

This video shows how fast the action can go and gives you a nice shot of a very large school under the ice. Also my rig is shown at the end of the video if you're interested. Most times these fish are suspended over deep water anywhere from right under the ice to 30 feet down. Once in a while I catch them as deep as 60 feet. Anyways if you're planning on getting out there is still some time left to go catch some kokanee. Get out and have some fun before the ice is gone!